Post-Game Talk: Blues def. Canucks - 4-3 (Chiasson, Pettersson x2)

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
My first roll! 4th overall it is!

Attachments

• 6E8AE2EC-8687-439A-9839-99499D1295E8.png
    6E8AE2EC-8687-439A-9839-99499D1295E8.png
    339.6 KB · Views: 8

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I’d sign Boeser to a one year deal and trade him at the TDL hoping he can somewhat bounce back.

Cause his value must be f*** all right now.
We have zero leverage to do that. Why wouldn't he just accept his QO then? "We know you're QO is $7.5m and if we don't extend you a QO, you are UFA, but here, please accept $4m today!" No leverage whatsoever.

The only way he doesn't get offered his QO is if he's extended with term before that, or he's traded to a team that will extend him. I'd prefer the latter if we first can't find a team willing to take on Bo Horvat.

Reactions: DarrenX and geebaan

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
So what is the magical number to make it in the playoffs? 94 pts?

So Canucks basically need a win percentage of .846% in the final month.
11 wins. We can do it..................................!

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I would of at least enjoyed watching Gadjovich or MacEwen chuck some kunckles during the year. What a boring, soft, horrendously built team. Just a bunch of random pieces thrown at the wall with hopes of sticking. I'm a die hard and love every Canuck team but something but this squad just doesn't cut it for me at all.

There's literally like 15 guys on this team who I could care less if they were on the team next year. It's sad

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
So what is the magical number to make it in the playoffs? 94 pts?

So Canucks basically need a win percentage of .846% in the final month.
11 wins. We can do it..................................!
95 bare minimum. We need to go at least 11-2 or 10-1-2. It would be a miraculous run for a team that, right now, isn't demonstrating the ability to manage the puck with any consistency. Take it one game at a time and hope for the best on the OOT scoreboard.... but yeah, while it's been fun watching Bruce squeeze blood from a stone, it's not happening. Onto baseball season, best to check back in around the draft in June.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You don’t even need to look at the record they need. You just need to look at the points they are back with games in hand played. Even a stars team playing 0.500 for the games in hand (lower than their pt% over 60+ games) the Canucks are 8 back from a playoff spot with 13 games left. They really haven’t made any ground up on the actual playoff spot since the mid-December when they finished that streak.

That’s also why they haven’t actually been playing meaningful games in March. The hint they haven’t been is that everything has virtually been must win for weeks now. The death knell on the playoffs wasn't last night but rather the first 25 games. Even then while the play has been somewhat better the overall record under Boudreau is that of a bubble team (95 point pace I believe...why they haven't made ground up on other playoff bubble teams). And that was done primarily on the back of a goaltender with a 0.950+ SV% 5-on-5 for a very extended period of time (or some ungodly number like that).

It comes down to this just not being a well built roster which 98% of us knew. There is a bunch of heavy lifting that needs to be done to get this team to actually be playing meaningful games come spring and summer.

For the game...

I liked Pettersson but my god have I never see a NHL player fall down so much. Falls down trying to hook people. Falls down when lightly bumped. Last night he even fell down when a breakout pass hit him in the skate! He has oodles of offseason work to do to start to rectify that.

I'll be honest outside of Pettersson I'm hard pressed to find a player that looked decent for the majority of the game. Miller was sleep walking for 50 minutes. Garland was his twisting ineffective best for 50 minutes. Hate to say it but after Pettersson the most noticeable guys were Chiasson and Richardson. Hughes as well was trying to do things but he had almost zero support when it came to creativity and offense.

Lockwood looks out of his depth so far. Only a few games under his belt but he's 24 in June. He needs to show something or he'll just solidify himself as being an AHL journeyman.

Last edited:

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
You don’t even need to look at the record they need. You just need to look at the points they are back with games in hand played. Even a stars team playing 0.500 for the game win hand (lower than their pt% over 60+ games) the Canucks are 8 back from a playoff spot with 13 games left. They really haven’t made any ground up on the actual playoff spot since the mid-December when they finished that streak.

That’s also why they haven’t actually been playing meaningful games in March. The hint they haven’t been is that everything has virtually been must win for weeks now. The death knell on the playoffs wasn't last night but rather the first 25 games. Even then while the play has been somewhat better the overall record under Boudreau is that of a bubble team (95 point pace I believe...why they haven't made ground up on other playoff bubble teams). And that was done primarily on the back of a goaltender with a 0.950+ SV% 5-on-5 for a very extended period of time (or some ungodly number like that).

It comes down to this just not being a well built roster which 98% of us knew. There is a bunch of heavy lifting that needs to be done to get this team to actually be playing meaningful games come spring and summer.

For the game...

I liked Pettersson but my god have I never see a NHL player fall down so much. Falls down trying to hook people. Falls down when lightly bumped. Last night he even fell down when a breakout pass hit him in the skate! He has oodles of offseason work to do to start to rectify that.

I'll be honest outside of Pettersson I'm hard pressed to find a player that looked decent for the majority of the game. Miller was sleep walking for 50 minutes. Garland was his twisting ineffective best for 50 minutes. Hate to say it but after Pettersson the most noticeable guys were Chiasson and Richardson. Hughes as well was trying to do things but he had almost zero support when it came to creativity and offense.

Lockwood looks out of his depth so far. Only a few games under his belt but he's 24 in June. He needs to show something or he'll just solidify himself as being an AHL journeyman.
Great post. Agreed with pretty much all of it. The optimist in me is going to cheer on the Canucks until the bitter end however. That said there is LOTS of work to do this offseason.

Reactions: Dab

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i don't disagree, but never is a strong word

*.gif

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
We have zero leverage to do that. Why wouldn't he just accept his QO then? "We know you're QO is $7.5m and if we don't extend you a QO, you are UFA, but here, please accept $4m today!" No leverage whatsoever.

The only way he doesn't get offered his QO is if he's extended with term before that, or he's traded to a team that will extend him. I'd prefer the latter if we first can't find a team willing to take on Bo Horvat.
I thought we could take him to arbitration?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

I never said it doesn’t have to be his QO. I just stated any deal should be one year.

Treat him purely as a rental to sell next TDL hoping he can rebound.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Honestly it looks like OEL is signaling to Lockwood that he's covering the 1 time pass.. So the responsibility for back checking on Thomas was on Lockwood.

Not sure what the procedures are for defending a 2 on 1, but it looks like a practice drill.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think the team can elect for arbitration without giving him a QO.

Screenshot_20220331-140723_Chrome.jpg

So we could avoid the 7.5m QO and try to get him in at 85% of that. He hasn't had the greatest season so it's possible, if it ended went the distance and wasn't resolved prior.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
It's all over, pending the coroner's certificate, but hey, we were on life support after that last homestand.

Playing teams like the Wild and the Blues shows us where we need to start with the roster overhaul - bigger, faster and skillful. The new management has a huge challenge over the next 2 years. Meanwhile, go Petey!

Reactions: Ozone

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I never said it doesn’t have to be his QO. I just stated any deal should be one year.

Treat him purely as a rental to sell next TDL hoping he can rebound.
He wouldn't have a lot of value as a pending UFA. We'd get back a 2nd and a B prospect for him at the deadline. He has far more value if we trade him before extending his QO, where the acquiring team has an extension drafted up already.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
6,375,000 is a heck of a lot more palatable than 7.5m to our team or to a potential trade partner.

One year at 6.3 tell him to prove it, if he doesn't move him at the deadline with some retention.

I think the return in that case would be better than what we'd get to move out an unsigned rfa now.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
85% of Brock Boeser's QO is still an absolutely shit contract for this player.
Relax, he isn't going to accept it anyway. He's going to want term and someone will buy up his RFA year, thinking they can get his shot back on track. He's got arbitration rights too, so he can turn it down and get a contract through arbitration if they find no takers for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad