Post-Game Talk: Blues def. Canucks - 4-3 (Chiasson, Pettersson x2)

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
It’s just so disappointing, because I really do like this team, I like a lot of pieces on this team, but my Lord there’s some serious changes that need to happen
One word to describe our club right now.

Over-rated...

Of is that 2 words.... ?

Seriously, when the going gets toughest, our club disappears. This is not a club build for late season / playoff hockey.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
next-year-better-luck-next-year.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This version of the Canucks will always work their tails off under Boudreau, but the stone cold reality is that this isn't a playoff team. At least this current roster isn't really as close as it appears to be.

They're using guys like Hunt, Richardson, Chiasson, Lockwood and Petan because they're being forced to. But there's almost no scenario where any of these guys will be in the lineup next season.

But it's been a nice run.....and Allvin and Rutherford have now enough of a body of work to make the changes that simply have to made.

Godkolzin

Oct 19, 2021

Over-rated...

Of is that 2 words.... ?

Seriously, when the going gets toughest, our club disappears. This is not a club build for late season / playoff hockey.

Over rated by who? I was under the impression weve come to terms with being a capped out, undersized, non playoff team with too many mammoth, immovable contracts.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Another game where it’s hammered home that the canucks are too slow, too small and too turnover prone.

Playoffs are seemingly impossible now…so many things would have to go right for the canucks while going completely wrong for several other teams.

Reactions: mossey3535

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
That was weak... pretty bad game by almost everyone. Every goal against was so easily preventable. Blues are nothing special either, 1st round fodder since Petro left. Big team that gets away with a ton of interference as per usual.

Demko just ain't stealing periods like he can. For every couple great saves, comes a ehhhh moment. Marky couldnt buy a shutout here either, but was great at limiting it to 1 mistake per game.

EP... dude is responsible for a routine SH chance against on the regular. 2 goals though.

Schenn... had like 10 steps on that puck race, led to the 2nd goal against.

Questionable personnel choices, even without Bo, seems like the plugs were always out there.

Not a great night for JT. Don't like him and Garland together. Garland just takes too much puck time away from Miller, while not having nearly the playmaking/ vision. Garland and Huggy need serious wrist shot camp in the offseason.

Good game for Hughes, but dude can't be laying in the corner unless his leg looks like Keller's.

OEL keeps getting worse. that sprawl was hilarious, and sad.

Not liking Dermott at all, soft all around.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
This version of the Canucks will always work their tails off under Boudreau, but the stone cold reality is that this isn't a playoff team. At least this current roster isn't really as close as it appears to be.

They're using guys like Hunt, Richardson, Chiasson, Lockwood and Petan because they're being forced to. But there's almost no scenario where any of these guys will be in the lineup next season.

But it's been a nice run.....and Allvin and Rutherford have now enough of a body of work to make the changes that simply have to made.
Yes you are right. Going into the year our strength was our forwards. Now, 3 top 9 forwards are hurt (Hoglander, Dickinson, Horvat). So the already weak defence is more at risk of being exposed with our injuries...

It shows out there.. Forwards are working 10x harder to support the defence yet it's not enough since Blues score 8 goals in 2 games.

At least Pettersson is good for next year. I doubt Miller is back, so I'm only locking in Pettersson for next year at forward.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good late game effort and probably unlucky that they didn't get a tying goal. But on the game, in general, they pretty much got controlled by the Blues. Just too many fringe NHL players in the line up. Even though some of them are playing above expectations, Canucks depth players do not allow them to play a consistent game.

Good

Pettersson - absolutely led the late surge with some nice stick work and good passing. Showed his capacity to make make something out of nothing with his shot and puck movement. Can be encouraged by play in this game and in many recent games.

Garland - yes there is room for criticism but he still drives so much of the play. Even coming out of his zone and in the neutral zone he making plays that allow the Canuck to at least go on the attack.

OEL - very consistent game. Passing out of his zone was very good and he and Myers are the only pairing not hurting the team defensively.

Not Good

Boeser - might have had someone else out in the last minute. Just nothing is happening with this player. And defensively a nightmare (-3 tonite)

Others

Pearson - looks tired. Plays were there but he couldn't bring any finish. Not really a top level talent but on this team has to be. Can only get so much out of player like Pearson who has to work so hard to keep at any thing like a high level.

Hughes - like Garland forcing things. Lot to like but there are serious breakdowns as well. Him and Schenn are having increasing problems in their end.

Podkolzin - another trying to do too much and running around some. Was getting chances but need to show more touch and control on the chances he is getting.

Lookwood - had some good moments but still gets pushed to outside too much and can't penetrate to the net. Has to be more aware of what's happening around and not push puck into traffic. At the most basic level needs to learn how to use his speed better. So far in his pro career that's been his major failing,

Situation for the team is obviously getting dire and you wonder when management might try to start to look at other players such as Rathbone. There is no one out there that is ready to step in but team needs to learn how far some of their prospects are away. Really too bad Benning left us so bereft of a future.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I’d sign Boeser to a one year deal and trade him at the TDL hoping he can somewhat bounce back.

Cause his value must be f*** all right now.

Reactions: Dab

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Over-rated...

Of is that 2 words.... ?

The first 2 Blues goals were on Demko and a Petey giveaway. Basically our best players making mistakes.. That made it 2-2 and game over essentially.

Something has to be said for 36 year old Brad Richardson skating as quick as Brock Boeser.. That's not right.

Reactions: KingofSurrey

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It’s just so disappointing, because I really do like this team, I like a lot of pieces on this team, but my Lord there’s some serious changes that need to happen

In almost any other scenario, I'd be thrilled re-signing Miller. The guy is an absolute warrior. As a whole, there's so much to like about this team since Bruce took over. Sadly, we just don't have the pieces to be anything more than average. Could we squeak into the playoffs? Probably. Will we go anywhere? Nope. We're a bubble team at best and it's disappointing to see.

We need to trade Miller, Boeser and possibly even Horvat just to shore up the damage Benning has inflicted. I really hope our gamble at the deadline doesn't come back to bite us and we're forced to take a mediocre offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad