GDT: Blues @ Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As an Avs fan that was a fun win, but it's pretty obvious that the teams that are comfortably in a playoff spot have checked out for the holidays. It's no surprise the Blues being at the top played like they would like to get to the break without injuries, while the Avs are clinging to stay out of the McDavid sweepstakes. Looking around the league, it's pretty obvious what games were meaningless to certain teams. I envision the score being flipped back in St. Louis in the 29th.

Happy Holidays Blues fans.

Thanks for the beat down. Avs really drug the Blues around tonight. Happy Holidays to you too

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Sarcasm aside. The reason I asked is because firing him at this point might be a bad idea. You've got no real coaching prospects out there. Better stick it out with Hitch this season for better or worse.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I don't think I want Hitch canned, but something has to change. Even if we don't change, I think we'll be in contention for the Central, but it seems a forgone conclusion that things aren't different enough to get us over the ChiAngeles wall.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Why do most of our shots have to come from the point?

Create some space and get in the middle.

An area they have been so deficient in for so long, I seriously wonder if they are coached to avoid it. Not that it's easy ice by any stretch, but they don't seem to have any desire to play there collectively.

Jaskin gets better every game, can start to see he is adjusting to the NHL finally.

I completely agree. He's looked like an NHL'er this year for sure. Improvement in skating...yes. But his confidence and willingness to rag the puck and look to make plays is refreshing to see. Still an unknown, but if they by default have to disrupt the STL line, I wouldn't mind seeing him on the wing there instead of Steen or Ott for a few games.

Under Hitch the layers of systems are way too complex. You have to be an Einstein to process the sequential plans of A, B, C, or D. Frankly, not every NHLer can. I like the effectiveness of Bruce Boudreau's simplistic system. Keep it simple stupid!

I don't disagree but Boudreau has the advantage of opening the door to one of the best top lines in the league when healthy. Getzlaf/Perry transcend any system. Our defensive system defending the lines is the biggest concern. I'll take an odd man rush out of the offensive zone if it resulted in a pinch to keep the puck in or at least try something, but allowing the other team to hit our blueline with speed and just collapsing in front of the net instead of closing the gap is proving to be a mild disaster.

What pisses me off is this goes on and nothing gets changed and we all sit around in the summer hoping for some good news. Dan Bylsma was not a bad coach but got $Â¥!+ canned because of playoff failings. Hitch doesn't make it past the first round and life goes on. I want a freaken cup not a crony coach. If Hitch can't change the way he coaches then he needs to go. If waiting till the end of the year is fair and respectful then we have a very charitable organization.

Will see how happy you guys are in May.

To those talking about canning Hitch...who do you replace him with?

Hitch is an elite coach, no matter how frustrated we may get with his style. Every coach, very much including Q, Babs, and Sutter, tinkers and presses buttons and changes schemes etc. I don't see much difference. We have an emerging Schwartz/Tarasenko, but is it really enough fire power to compete with Chicago and LA. I've not been particularly wooed by many of the "adjustments" LAK and CHI have made when we play them for the most part. We don't have a player more proven in pressure situations or a player possessing the consistency of a Kopitar, Gaborik, Carter, Doughty, Toews, Kane, Keith or Sharp/Hossa.

We can certainly compete with these teams, but like every year, there is less margin for error, especially over a span of games head to head for the Blues because of personnel. If a coach can effect more consistency then great, bring this person on, but I highly doubt its Byslma or MacLean.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
As an Avs fan that was a fun win, but it's pretty obvious that the teams that are comfortably in a playoff spot have checked out for the holidays. It's no surprise the Blues being at the top played like they would like to get to the break without injuries, while the Avs are clinging to stay out of the McDavid sweepstakes. Looking around the league, it's pretty obvious what games were meaningless to certain teams. I envision the score being flipped back in St. Louis in the 29th.

Happy Holidays Blues fans.

The Blues haven't taken a beating like they did tonight all season. The Avs really showed their speed and had a solid team effort.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
What pisses me off is this goes on and nothing gets changed and we all sit around in the summer hoping for some good news. Dan Bylsma was not a bad coach but got $Â¥!+ canned because of playoff failings. Hitch doesn't make it past the first round and life goes on. I want a freaken cup not a crony coach. If Hitch can't change the way he coaches then he needs to go. If waiting till the end of the year is fair and respectful then we have a very charitable organization.

Will see how happy you guys are in May.

Dan Bylsma was a do nothing coach. He rode some of the best players in the game for years and couldn't do anything once the lineup got so bad that it needed actual coaching. What happens in December does not give any decent indication as to how well a team does in May.

Last December we tore up everyone who we played, including multiple come from behind wins that we were frankly expecting to happen because the team was so good. We were legitimately thinking it could be the year last year. Then came the post Olympic break and everything turned around. That great December no longer meant anything, just like our lackluster week will mean nothing come this April. A couple of losses on the road at Christmas doesn't mean anything, especially when we're missing our starting goalie, one of our most skilled offensive forwards, and a top 4 defenseman.

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Perhaps the team is saving that intense checking style of old for the playoffs. Hitch has commented time and time again about the new "Euro" style this season. Maybe they're doing it to save their bodies knowing that the uptempo, intense checking style will wear them out before then. With more skill this season, we can clearly get away with it for now, if we play like this in the playoffs, then it's time to worry. This post probably belongs in the positivity thread, but eh...

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Because

Schwartz Lehtera Tarasenko
Steen Oshie Backes
Jaskin Stastny Eriksson

Looks a heck of a lot better than what we have now.

Berglund+Rattie+ for Eriksson if need be.

Hard to argue with that, but why do you think Eriksson is a good fit? How do you know that he and Stastny will mesh?

Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis
Muller, maybe MacLean. Hitch getting canned is never going to actually happen though. We have enough raw talent and depth to sufficiently mask our systematic issues in the regular season. It'll take another early playoff exit for management to have the guts to pull the plug on Hitch. Again I hate to go off on this type of seemingly reactionary rant but I'm so fed up with this team.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
According to Bruins fans, Eriksson has been one of their best player this year, and even when he wasn't scoring, he was very responsible in the defensive zone. The Bruins' system is also similar to the Hitchcock system, and he has the ability to be a good forechecker that can also help out our 'league best' :)laughhystericallyuntilIcry:) powerplay.

http://nesn.com/2014/09/bruins-player-preview-loui-erikssons-expected-role-projected-season-stats/

Worse case scenario, he gives us the ability to move things around:

Possession and Speed
Eriksson Lehtera Tarasenko
Schwartz Stastny Oshie
Steen Backes Jaskin

New Chemistry
Steen Oshie Backes
Jaskin Stastny Eriksson

Super-duper Third
Steen Oshie Backes
Jaskin Stastny Eriksson

Eriksson is a left-hand shot, unfortunately, but he can play both LW and RW equally, allowing many options. If Hitch can find it within himself to make match-up adjustments mid-game, Eriksson allows us to move anyone anywhere and create a mismatch.

He's an 8-year veteran, and has the ability to be lethal. Eriksson declined in his last year in Dallas, true, but he was only 27, not typically your year to begin regressing.

Yes, he is 29 now (30 in July), but with 'sheltered' minutes on a third/second line (see Boston), and with a great center to feed him (see NOT Boston), he could be back to a 50pt player. He's already trending to that on Boston, WITHOUT a great team/good center helping him. He's got a high Hockey IQ, and would put us over the top of any team in the league offensively. Think of how stupid our third line would make every other team's third line look.

Salary isn't an issue: 2 years (last year is 2015-16) at 4.25M would be easy to work around if we gave up Berglund and a Paajarvi (3.7+1.2) MAGNUS MAKES MORE THAN LaPierre.

Of course, Paajarvi might not even be needed to get him. Boston fans, despite Loui's return to form and holding their team together this year, do not seem to be showing Loui much love. He could definitely do with a change of scenery, and the Seguin trade still sits sourly in their mouths. This year, Boston fans are even talking about shopping Rask. Let's take advantage. Hopefully their GM can swallow his pride and make a move.

I'm going to copy this over to the trade forum, so that I don't feel so awful for posting this at the end of a GDT.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This may be an unpopular opinion but Backes is turning into an idiot. Or maybe he's been one for a long time and now I'm just finally getting tired of his stuff. But seriously, as much as we joke about the incident of him jumping MacKinnon, I thought it was really stupid for him to go after Duchene tonight. And he does this all the time. Sure, hit Duchene hard and make it miserable for him all night - that's part of being a good player in the NHL - but I just hate seeing Backes throw these temper tantrums and try fighting players who don't fight. It's stupid; if you're gonna act tough then do it against somebody your own size. I mean, sure teams are targeting Tarasenko and trying to hit him, which is fine, but I also would think it was childish if a guy like Iginla tried picking a fight with him.

Next, I have started questioning Backes' leadership. It doesn't help when your captain is a hot head and acts like this when things get out of hand. I don't think that is good for the team. And how many times are we gonna blow leads or keep coming out flat before something happens? If this team bows out of the playoffs early again this season, I want to see Backes dealt as a shakeup move, or at the very least name a new captain (Steen, Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Tarasenko?)

End rant. I'm just not too fond of Backes' game this season, for a variety of reasons.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I also thought Backes was getting a little out of hand. I'm not seeing how trying to pick a fight with duchene is good leadership. I like Backes as a player, and he seems like a cool guy, but I'm not sure what leadership qualities he has that outshine Steen, Schwartz, Shattenkirk, or Tarasenko.

Does anyone know of a time where Backes did something leaders hippy that helped us as a team?

Oh, and that didn't require picking a fight with out number one scorer during practice?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This may be an unpopular opinion but Backes is turning into an idiot. Or maybe he's been one for a long time and now I'm just finally getting tired of his stuff. But seriously, as much as we joke about the incident of him jumping MacKinnon, I thought it was really stupid for him to go after Duchene tonight. And he does this all the time. Sure, hit Duchene hard and make it miserable for him all night - that's part of being a good player in the NHL - but I just hate seeing Backes throw these temper tantrums and try fighting players who don't fight. It's stupid; if you're gonna act tough then do it against somebody your own size. I mean, sure teams are targeting Tarasenko and trying to hit him, which is fine, but I also would think it was childish if a guy like Iginla tried picking a fight with him.

Next, I have started questioning Backes' leadership. It doesn't help when your captain is a hot head and acts like this when things get out of hand. I don't think that is good for the team. And how many times are we gonna blow leads or keep coming out flat before something happens? If this team bows out of the playoffs early again this season, I want to see Backes dealt as a shakeup move, or at the very least name a new captain (Steen, Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Tarasenko?)

End rant. I'm just not too fond of Backes' game this season, for a variety of reasons.

The truly aggravating part is he played like a true captian against the kings and home and the Jets, he lead the team by taking the physical game up tonight. Duchene said something to him that set him off but that proves your point to an extent....he's a hot head that's easily taken off his game, even though he was never on it tonight. I don't think a captian change would amount to anything and even with his short comings....we'd be worse off without Backes. He just needs to get his **** together....enough with the temper tantrums

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Backes has always been an idiot when his temper starts taking over and I have to agree that it's starting to wear on me as well. Like how stupid do you have to be to keep pulling the same shtick where you go after the other team's stars and make a fool of yourself. I think Shatty or Schwartz would make a good captain for us.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I didn't see the game tonight as I was with family, and I'm not trying to defend whatever he did, but Backes completely losing his cool and jumping someone is not something that I would consider a frequent occurrence at this point in his career.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Guys can you compare Backes to Brown. Do you see similarity?

I think Backes has been this season far 'cooler' then last year. On last season Backes bad penalties 'meltdowns' did cost us some games on regular season. I haven't see that kind of behave current season. If they would take away from Backes C that would be one turning point this team and start new build, but I can't see that happened until 5 years.

Some feeling that refs are respecting Steen most of Blues captains. He the guy who can cool down if there is some problem (with refs + other team).

I don't mind if Backes show up some gritty gamestyle, but that is true I wan't he go after guy who is same size like him not smaller guy.

Somebody sayed Schwartz to C, he looks quite same type of guy like Saku Koivu. Very good rational turn of phrase and I like how he can handle questions what he has faced on interviews.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I can't recall him jumping anyone, but I've definitely seen Steen get pretty mad on the ice. :laugh:

I'd say that our team's composure at critical moments is definitely a concern. That's not meant to be a shot at any one player, and I don't think it's fair to lay the blame for that at Backes' feet, but he does have a role to play as captain.

In my personal experience, composure is a byproduct of confidence...confidence in your abilities, in your actions, in your teammates, in your coaches, etc. If any one players is lacking confidence in any one of those things, composure can suffer. If any one individual lacks composure, that can affect the rest of the team.

It's not something that's easy to pin down, and it's definitely not easy to eradicate. In my experience, the best way to breed confidence (and ultimately composure) is to win. Since it's hard to win without composure, it can be a vicious cycle. Sometimes it takes luck to break it. Sometimes it takes maturing. Sometimes it takes a shakeup.

I'm not convinced this team is incapable of getting over that mental hump, but it's a concern. The problem is that there's no simple fix if a shakeup is required...Armstrong would basically just be guessing as to what would turn things around, and that's not a good situation for a franchise to be in.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Backes only had the 1 tiff. He has been more collected this year. He actively avoided a scrum later in the Avalanche game, had 3 guys on him and he just skated out. I don't think taking the C is the answer and would probably create a rift between Backes and the team/management. He's the captian till he's not a Blues.

Also if last night's game didn't prove Jaskin>Lindstrom, then idk what will...having NHL depth is good but keeping Lindstom over Jaskin is a negative. Now if we can trade MPS for a 2nd-3rd, should pull the trigger. I think Pittsburgh would pay for him. Big bodied fast winger with high upside on a cheap contract. Shouldn't be too hard to move him. I've never been too impressed by Jaskin but he gels with Stastny. Stastny was an inch from a goal last night on that nice feed from Jaskin. Keep the kid up, he's only going to get better

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Is it loss of composure or playing the role of captain and trying to spark the team when they are playing like crap? I'd go with a bit of both.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Is it loss of composure or playing the role of captain and trying to spark the team when they are playing like crap? I'd go with a bit of both.

I saw it as a calculated decision to allow himself to get in a scrap. It was surprising that both players didn't get sent off, since it started when Backes was being taunted. I thought Backes did it to try and get some life into the team, like when Reaves gets in a fight.

All I can say about the game last night is: one team got up for it, and one did not. If you look around the league, the Blues weren't the only ones who were emotionally not ready to play. Chicago laid an egg, too. I'm going to chalk this up to some weird psychology around the holiday break and not worry about it. Congratulations to Colorado, who their announcers said played their best game of the season last night. The Blues are going to get the best effort from a lot of teams, and they can't take a night off if they expect to compete.

Its a good time for a break. Hopefully Elliott is back in January and able to pick up where he left off. The team misses Schwartz. Lindstrom should not be in the line-up, and I'm not even really that keen on him as a depth fill-in at this point. He's a detriment to whatever line he is on, and Hitchcock has tried a lot of combos for where to put him. Its a testament to how far in the doghouse Paajarvi is, that he can't get ice time ahead of Lindstrom. Neither one of those guys is a legit top 9 player for the Blues (the way Jaskin is). And neither guy should be on the team next season.

I think Mueller would have had multiple chances to cement a roster spot if he'd chosen to report to the AHL. (I don't predict that he would have succeeded, though.)

Fabbri is the answer to everything, but probably not until next season. For this year, my Magic 8-ball says, "Looks like....a rental".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad