GDT: Blues at Leafs - Tuesday 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Bertuzzi has not been anywhere close to living up to his contract, but he is more useful than what you say he is. He is also good on the forecheck and being disruptive in the ozone. Also, I wonder if he still would have signed here if he knew that his PP time would be minimal at best.
He's not very good on the forecheck though. He's good at getting to the puck on the forecheck, and can sometimes be disruptive, but then he usually either loses the board battle or wins the battle and then fumbles the puck/play. I'm not sure why, as a historically mediocre PP player, Bertuzzi would have expected to unseat elite PP players from a consistently elite PP unit; especially with this kind of effort and execution.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-02-13-09-36-43~2.png

Feels like a winnable game even without Rielly. If the core 4 shows up not much St. Louis can do.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I think you'll need to outlive this core to see that. :laugh:
Sadly, I believe you are right!
He's not very good on the forecheck though. He's good at getting to the puck on the forecheck, and can sometimes be disruptive, but then he usually either loses the board battle or wins the battle and then fumbles the puck/play. I'm not sure why, as a historically mediocre PP player, Bertuzzi would have expected to unseat elite PP players from a consistently elite PP unit; especially with this kind of effort and execution.
I disagree. I think he wins his fair share of battles. As for playing on the PP, for him to be truly effective, the team would need to shoot at the net a fair amount, especially point shots. Unfortunately, that is not the way this team is constructed, especially with having offensive-minded dmen. I believe Keefe deserves a fair amount of the blame for this.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If the core 4 shows up not much St. Louis can do.
I think you can say this about pretty much any game, except I would reduce it to three as Matthews, Marner and Nylander can pretty much win any game on their own so long as the Leafs get even average goaltending. This is actually a reasonably important game because it's likely that both Tampa and Detroit will lose this evening given their respective opponents.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Whether or not you agree with what Rielly did, the Leafs still have to use it as a springboard to turn around this season.

Starts tonight. Simply have to play better at home.
Agreed, but how many times has this team played lethargic and uninspiring when they needed to play like their jobs were on the line? I can think of a few.

Reactions: Jojalu

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Kipper nailed it!!! This core, aside from Rielly, is all about finesse. The saying goes, 'Too many cooks spoil the kitchen', and this is bang on in regards to how this Leafs team is constructed. The top 6 definitely need to have some/a lot more snot and snarl to go along with all that finesse!!!
Compare TB’s reaction when Rielly got tangled up with Point in last year’s playoff. It should be in your team’s DNA.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kipper nailed it!!! This core, aside from Rielly, is all about finesse. The saying goes, 'Too many cooks spoil the kitchen', and this is bang on in regards to how this Leafs team is constructed. The top 6 definitely need to have some/a lot more snot and snarl to go along with all that finesse!!!
"....spoil the soup"

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I disagree. I think he wins his fair share of battles. As for playing on the PP, for him to be truly effective, the team would need to shoot at the net a fair amount, especially point shots. Unfortunately, that is not the way this team is constructed, especially with having offensive-minded dmen. I believe Keefe deserves a fair amount of the blame for this.
I recommend taking a closer look at the outcomes of his forechecks.
Our PP isn't all that unique in style or construction. We get a bunch of shots on net. Bertuzzi simply does not have history as a very good PP player, and has certainly not earned a spot over anybody on our top unit. Not really sure what you're blaming Keefe for.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I expect a losing skid leaving us fighting for our playoff lives with Reilly out. I expect Treveling to stare into the headlights.

Reactions: OddyOh

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He has been give dozens of quality scoring chances by his linemates and has flubbed so many tap ins and easy goals. His lack of production is all on him. Laughable that he should get playing time ahead of the core 4 on the PP. He gets whatever is left over on the 2nd unit and rightly so. He's been trash.
Tavares has been given dozens of quality scoring chances by his linemates and has flubbed so many tap ins and easy goals, even more than Bertuzzi. And Bert has produced more goals and assists at ES lately than JT has.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Tavares has been given dozens of quality scoring chances by his linemates and has flubbed so many tap ins and easy goals, even more than Bertuzzi. And Bert has produced more goals and assists at ES lately than JT has.
Nylander could have 80 points if his linemates weren't screwing up so much. They have had lots of in close chances. Willy can't catch a break.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander could have 80 points if his linemates weren't screwing up so much. They have had lots of in close chances. Willy can't catch a break.
Do you remember when Willie scored top shelf short side on Merzlikens? He was lethal. He's scored two goals thanks to Demko and 2 beauties vs Wedgewood in his last 12 games. Sorry, not buying Willie can't catch a break.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Do you remember when Willie scored top shelf short side on Merzlikens? He was lethal. He's scored two goals thanks to Demko and 2 beauties vs Wedgewood in his last 12 games. Sorry, not buying Willie can't catch a break.
I think there is a little bit of bad luck. He has hit the post a few times, and certainly JT and Bertuzzi struggling hasn't helped.

But if they can't score, at least try and be better in your own end.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tbh I think it’s a bit not catching a break and also the effort not being there as much

He’s not been the pre signed nylander much in the past 12, I would say 5 games where he’s shown that, but look at that Ottawa game for example, he set up Tavares 2-3 times for some real good chances and Tavares blows them no surprise. When nylander is going, he’s making plays to his teammates and feeding off of that to create a deadly line, unfortunately his linemates are two useless turds without him

Until that beauty pass by JT in the stars game, I couldn’t remember the last time tavares set nylander up for a glorious chance, maybe the LA game which was over a month ago.

For nylander to score he need to do much more than for Tavares to score. Tavares gets setup in prime chances, nylander gets the puck at the zone and still has to do spot more

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Don't completely agree.

He hasn't been his best but.

Tavares had 4 points for the month of January, 13 games.
2 goals 2 assists

That's #2 center at a 25 point pace on his line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad