Half-Assed GDT: blues at jets - almost escaping canada edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Point is Hitch loves too much Brouwer over Jaskin. Schwartz - Backes - Jaskin worked 'cus Jaden bringed that speed and playmaking.

I'll give forgive Hitch this was roadtrip, but if there is change to call-up from Chicago, Rattie should go first then Gomez. I'll hold my breath what happends with Lindbohm. Gunnar has been ok, but still makes me mad tilt knowing there is our future dmem who is already NHL ready, kicking f AHL doors.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Point is Hitch loves too much Brouwer over Jaskin. Schwartz - Backes - Jaskin worked 'cus Jaden bringed that speed and playmaking.

I'll give forgive Hitch this was roadtrip, but if there is change to call-up from Chicago, Rattie should go first then Gomez. I'll hold my breath what happends with Lindbohm. Gunnar has been ok, but still makes me mad tilt knowing there is our future dmem who is already NHL ready, kicking f AHL doors.

With the way the two have been playing, he's right to.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou

Lindbohm should definitely be playing over Gunnarson at this point

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Gunnarsson is playing himself out doghouse lol....

He's proving his worth luckily. Love me some Lindbohm but until there is an injury, he's gonna have to stew in AHL. Rattie would only get the call if Brouwer is shakey. Blues return Tuesday night.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
How can you possibly know what effect Oshie's absence has on the locker room? It 6 games into the regular season. We look good, sure, but we are always a good regular season team. Any positive change can be attributed to philosophical/coaching changes as well. We aren't giving up the Blue line. Our D are allowed to pinch more. And we have gotten the incredible emergence of young D as well. Our tope offensive line is also allowed room to be creative. These all have to do with Hitch, not Oshie. Please give me one measurable, tangible effect of Oshie not being in the locker room that has helped this team.

Don't think we will lose too much without Oshie. I posted last year on one of the forums that Schwartz was Oshie only better. This is still early in the season, but I like how this team is playing. Lose a couple of top 6 players and a top 4 defenseman, we still win on the road!!! Can't comment on the locker room because like most of us, we haven't been there to hear what goes on. Oshie in my opinion was probably overhyped in St. Louis. He is a good player, but not an elite player. Tarasenko is looking elite. Oshie was a piece of the team that could easily be replaced by other players.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
don't think we will lose too much without oshie. I posted last year on one of the forums that schwartz was oshie only better. This is still early in the season, but i like how this team is playing. Lose a couple of top 6 players and a top 4 defenseman, we still win on the road!!! Can't comment on the locker room because like most of us, we haven't been there to hear what goes on. Oshie in my opinion was probably overhyped in st. Louis. He is a good player, but not an elite player. Tarasenko is looking elite. Oshie was a piece of the team that could easily be replaced by other players.

+1000

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I said it after the Wild series, the Blues needed to get bigger and tougher. If you don't have speed, you better have size and toughness. Brouwer, Parayko, Edmundson and Bortuzzo add that. I like the make up of this team way more than last years.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
How can you possibly know what effect Oshie's absence has on the locker room? It 6 games into the regular season. We look good, sure, but we are always a good regular season team. Any positive change can be attributed to philosophical/coaching changes as well. We aren't giving up the Blue line. Our D are allowed to pinch more. And we have gotten the incredible emergence of young D as well. Our tope offensive line is also allowed room to be creative. These all have to do with Hitch, not Oshie. Please give me one measurable, tangible effect of Oshie not being in the locker room that has helped this team.

I think a lot of players have been interviewed, talking about how much leadership and positive attitude Brouwer brings to the team. Wasn't it just tonight that Panger was talking about the unprecedented camaraderie? Same goes for Hitch. I've watched a lot of interviews since the beginning of the year (pre-season included). I'm not trying to say that Oshie was necessarily a cancer (although I think we've seen signs that he might have been [his dislike for Hitch's system, and inability to fully adapt]. Maybe somebody else can help me out with video proof of Brouwer, Gomez, Upshall, and Brodziak's favorability in the locker room from interviews?

jeffl97

Dec 5, 2010
Was just looking at the Blues TOI stats on fantrax, and it made me chuckle. It logs Pietrangelo at almost 48 minutes.
Lbkho0I.png

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Was just looking at the Blues TOI stats on fantrax, and it made me chuckle. It logs Pietrangelo at almost 48 minutes.
Lbkho0I.png

it's not just pietrangelo, and its on the official NHL.com stats too (or it was). Elliot was logged at 76 minutes or something

I think this was by far Parayko's best game yet in terms of overall performance. Loved when he caught wheeler (how????).

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
it's not just pietrangelo, and its on the official NHL.com stats too (or it was). Elliot was logged at 76 minutes or something

I think this was by far Parayko's best game yet in terms of overall performance. Loved when he caught wheeler (how????).

Parayko was good in the 3rd period, but not overall his best game. Had some problems in the first two periods on defense and clearing the puck. He redeemed himself and played great in the 3rd.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think a lot of players have been interviewed, talking about how much leadership and positive attitude Brouwer brings to the team. Wasn't it just tonight that Panger was talking about the unprecedented camaraderie? Same goes for Hitch. I've watched a lot of interviews since the beginning of the year (pre-season included). I'm not trying to say that Oshie was necessarily a cancer (although I think we've seen signs that he might have been [his dislike for Hitch's system, and inability to fully adapt]. Maybe somebody else can help me out with video proof of Brouwer, Gomez, Upshall, and Brodziak's favorability in the locker room from interviews?

Since Brouwer is a leader and has a positive attitude, Oshie must be a cancer? That is the worst logic. And yes, Oshie didn't like Hitch's system. But Hitch's old system sucked. We all complained about it. Everyone of us. that's why Hitch changed it. That didn't mean Oshie had a negative effect on team camaraderie. How did he not fully adapt to Hitch;s system? He scored nearly 60 points while playing a 200 foot game and winning battles on the boards. There are a lot more variables between this years team and last years than just removing Oshie. Whatever puff interviews you can cite about what the new guys bring (What is a player supposed to say when asked if new teammate Brouwer is a good leader?), none of that has anything to do with what Oshie contributed to the locker room.

Oshie had negative things to say about a coach that should have been on his way out the door. Since 99% of us on this board also disagreed with the coach, that doesn't seem so egregious. But Armstrong sided with Hitch and Oshie got shipped out. None of that means Oshie is a cancer. There is 0 evidence he effected the team negatively in any way.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Yeah seriously he had that great play to catch Wheeler but had several miscues, including causing Wheeler's breakaway in the first place. Not a strong game at all. That's ok, he's 6 games in

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I think Backes made some strong plays on the puck that kept offensive possession alive at very important times. He also had some good passes. He's a little quiet in general, as he usually is to start the season, but I really liked his game today.

As expected, when Jaskin gets a bit of space and has other players to interact with around the net, he makes great little plays. It doesn't surprise me that he made it work with some quicker players.

Even if you throw out his points, Gunnarsson had a damn good game. He seemed to be moving a lot better.

I think Parayko's subtle stick plays around the net are getting largely overlooked. There were several plays he broke up by reaching around an attacking player or deflecting a dangerous shot with this blade. He's not making anybody expendable, yet, but I see more to his game every period. The same goes for Edmundson. I love the way both of them jump up on the play and use their reach to force opponents offside and otherwise break up the rush before it even happens.

Gomez looked good last game, but was even better today. Night and day difference from preseason.

Pietro and Bouwmeester are crazy good.

It was good to see Reaves find a groove.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Since Brouwer is a leader and has a positive attitude, Oshie must be a cancer? That is the worst logic. And yes, Oshie didn't like Hitch's system. But Hitch's old system sucked. We all complained about it. Everyone of us. that's why Hitch changed it. That didn't mean Oshie had a negative effect on team camaraderie. How did he not fully adapt to Hitch;s system? He scored nearly 60 points while playing a 200 foot game and winning battles on the boards. There are a lot more variables between this years team and last years than just removing Oshie. Whatever puff interviews you can cite about what the new guys bring (What is a player supposed to say when asked if new teammate Brouwer is a good leader?), none of that has anything to do with what Oshie contributed to the locker room.

Oshie had negative things to say about a coach that should have been on his way out the door. Since 99% of us on this board also disagreed with the coach, that doesn't seem so egregious. But Armstrong sided with Hitch and Oshie got shipped out. None of that means Oshie is a cancer. There is 0 evidence he effected the team negatively in any way.

Every Blues fan has questioned Hitch and management at times. The point is that Oshie while being hyped and a fan favorite, wasn't a critical player for this team. Like Perron, he wasn't necessary for the success of this team!!!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think Oshie played himself out of stl. He complained alot more then anyone else....good for him for speaking up but at the end of the day, he's not the coach. His job is to do what the coach says. Heck look at Backes, he's been reduced to a 3c checking line. He does his job and doesn't complain. Armstrong said in one interview that if players didn't think Hitch was the right coach, then they have the wrong players(or something like that). We really just need to drop this whole Oshie thing....he's gone and Brouwer is here. There was a lot more going on then Oshie leaving. Tarasenko showing he is an elite player, Pietrangelo playing like a top 10 Dman, Boumeester playing like a top pairing guy, our defense in general changed 33%, Brodziak brings ALOT to this team, Lehterä seems to have installed a bigger tank and shows he's simply a great player, Stastny getting his shot with elite wingers......yea you get the picture. The Oshie/Brouwer thing is divisive.

This is a new team, new system I guess....let's sit back and enjoy the ride

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Every Blues fan has questioned Hitch and management at times. The point is that Oshie while being hyped and a fan favorite, wasn't a critical player for this team. Like Perron, he wasn't necessary for the success of this team!!!

That's not at all the point. Lehterasenkshow said Oshie was a negative locker room presence. I am saying there is no evidence of that. None of the points you or he have brought up says anything about Oshie's locker room presence. Brouwer's leadership doesn't. Oshies necessity on ice to the teams success doesn't. The amount of hype he received doesn't. None of it does.

If being hyped and a fan favorite is a crime, then Parayko should be traded this instant. A lot of players are not "necessary" for a teams success, but that doesn't mean trading them is "addition by subtraction". Schwartz hasn't been necessary at all this year. Should we send him packing? Did trading Perron make us a better team? We actually made the second round when he was here.

Edit: I am not trying at ALL to rekindle the Oshie trade debate. But I am disagreeing with the notion he was a locker room issue as there is no evidence. It was merely speculated. But people use it as a reason to bash him unfairly.

Last edited:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I don't have quotes on hand, but I recall a couple reporters making veiled comments about Oshie's attitude right after the trade was made. Almost like they were waiting to vent some pressure, but couldn't release everything. That could be speculation or playing to their audience; but I recall, at the time, it seemed like there was more to it that wasn't being reported. Especially from Rutherford. That isn't much to go on, but I somewhat get why some fans are quick to believe that Oshie's attitude was some kind of a problem. It could be worse than we even imagine, but it seems like most fans who talk about it like it's fact are ones who made up their minds about it a long time ago.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I don't have quotes on hand, but I recall a couple reporters making veiled comments about Oshie's attitude right after the trade was made. Almost like they were waiting to vent some pressure, but couldn't release everything. That could be speculation or playing to their audience; but I recall, at the time, it seemed like there was more to it that wasn't being reported. Especially from Rutherford. That isn't much to go on, but I somewhat get why some fans are quick to believe that Oshie's attitude was some kind of a problem. It could be worse than we even imagine, but it seems like most fans who talk about it like it's fact are ones who made up their minds about it a long time ago.

JR also said something to the effect of some of our "veteran" players having a tough time seeing the spotlight move to Tarasenko and Schwartz. Somehow I don't think he was talking about Jackman and Steen. That felt very directed at Oshie.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I also remember a comment about a "sense of entitlement" in the Blues dressing room around the time of the trade. I can't remember who said it and to whom it was directed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad