Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Michael Del Zotto for 6th round pick

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I really liked MDZ when he played in Rags 8-years ago. He really looked good bottom pair offensive dmen. Well at least now I can see him playing in notes, but 8-years too late.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Why? Haven't we already had multiple others wear that number like Arnott and Sydor?

Pronger played here a long time ago, I think Blues fans need to get over that.

It was f***ing blashemy then and it's blasphemy today. The Cardinals didn't reissue #5 to anyone for obvious reasons. Pronger is arguably the greatest player to ever play for the Blues, and every time they allow another player to skate around in #44 it's a slap in the face to his legacy and to Blues fans everywhere who think honoring him is long overdue. The Blues are a very well-run organization and very pro-fan, but in the case of re-issuing #44, they're completely tone-deaf.

Tarasenkshow

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis, MO
It was ****ing blashemy then and it's blasphemy today. The Cardinals didn't reissue #5 to anyone for obvious reasons. Pronger is arguably the greatest player to ever play for the Blues, and every time they allow another player to skate around in #44 it's a slap in the face to his legacy and to Blues fans everywhere who think honoring him is long overdue. The Blues are a very well-run organization and very pro-fan, but in the case of re-issuing #44, they're completely tone-deaf.
Agree to disagree. I'll take a ton of heat for this, but I never liked Pronger. I thought he was overrated. As a fan of the Red Wings during those years, he never worried me the way MacInnis did.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Agree to disagree. I'll take a ton of heat for this, but I never liked Pronger. I thought he was overrated. As a fan of the Red Wings during those years, he never worried me the way MacInnis did.
I don't know what's worse: thinking that Pronger was overrated or being a Red Wings fan back then
BV-Acharya-28.jpg

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Depending on how he fits in with the locker room and on the ice I think Army made this move to potentially re-sign him in place of Gunnarsson.

Considering Perunovich, Mikkola, Walman, and Tucker are all a few years away on the left side, I’d say there’s a pretty good chance we see one of Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, or Del Zotto re-signed over the next few months.

Reinke looks ready, but he’s squeezed out on the right side and will have to beat out Bortuzzo at camp next year. Schmaltz couldn’t do that this year, and Bortz is (a) more valuable than either in the locker room, and (b) provides more physicality and better defensive play than either of them right now.

If we go into next year with this, we could probably do worse:

Eddy-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
MDZ-Bortz/Reinke

Tarasenkshow

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I don't know what's worse: thinking that Pronger was overrated or being a Red Wings fan back then
BV-Acharya-28.jpg
LOL Touche. I just never liked him. And again I apologize for the Red Wings thing. I was (and still am) the biggest Yzerman fan. The guy is just class and what a leader should be on and off the ice. I have cut my ties in the past decade with the Wings though it doesn't matter as much with them in the East. I bleed blue now, from here on out...

Reactions: brokeu91

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Considering Perunovich, Mikkola, Walman, and Tucker are all a few years away on the left side, I’d say there’s a pretty good chance we see one of Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, or Del Zotto re-signed over the next few months.

Reinke looks ready, but he’s squeezed out on the right side and will have to beat out Bortuzzo at camp next year. Schmaltz couldn’t do that this year, and Bortz is (a) more valuable than either in the locker room, and (b) provides more physicality and better defensive play than either of them right now.

Eddy-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
MDZ-Bortz/Reinke
We could obviously do worse, but we need to improve that left side if we have any designs on challenging for a Cup in the current window. Eddy and Dunn can be serviceable on the top pairing for short periods of time, but we need to bring in a guy that looks and plays like he belongs there.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Eddy-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
MDZ-Bortz/Reinke
I don't mind the 3rd pair, but we need to upgrade 1LHD before next season.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What does this move say about Jordan Schmaltz and his place on the team? When we called Butler up, I kind of forgot about Schmaltz. Schmaltz went from someone we thought could be pushing into the top 6 at the start of the season, to now 8th on the depth chart behind Butler and MDZ . That's with Gunnarsson out as well. Schmaltz is not putting up good stats in San Antonio. Neither did Blais at first when he was sent down. I expect given his disappointment, he's just not working hard because he has been dominant in the AHL. Blais turned it around though and got called up since. However, we made a trade rather than potentially needing to rely on Schmaltz. I'd guess his time with the Blues is done if we can move him as his contract reverts to one-way next year.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
What does this move say about Jordan Schmaltz and his place on the team? When we called Butler up, I kind of forgot about Schmaltz. Schmaltz went from someone we thought could be pushing into the top 6 at the start of the season, to now 8th on the depth chart behind Butler and MDZ . That's with Gunnarsson out as well. Schmaltz is not putting up good stats in San Antonio. Neither did Blais at first when he was sent down. I expect given his disappointment, he's just not working hard because he has been dominant in the AHL. Blais turned it around though and got called up since. However, we made a trade rather than potentially needing to rely on Schmaltz. I'd guess his time with the Blues is done if we can move him as his contract reverts to one-way next year.
Schmaltz has looked bad in San Antonio. He’s not the same guy he was a year or so ago. No confidence at all.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Schmaltz will most likely be either an adder to a draft day trade and see if another team can get value from him, or he will fade into obscurity in the AHL or Europe.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It was ****ing blashemy then and it's blasphemy today. The Cardinals didn't reissue #5 to anyone for obvious reasons. Pronger is arguably the greatest player to ever play for the Blues, and every time they allow another player to skate around in #44 it's a slap in the face to his legacy and to Blues fans everywhere who think honoring him is long overdue. The Blues are a very well-run organization and very pro-fan, but in the case of re-issuing #44, they're completely tone-deaf.
Overreaction IMO but okay.

Del Zotto is wearing #42. I love it. Hope to see people whine about the same thing with Backes. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarBacon

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
LOL Touche. I just never liked him. And again I apologize for the Red Wings thing. I was (and still am) the biggest Yzerman fan. The guy is just class and what a leader should be on and off the ice. I have cut my ties in the past decade with the Wings though it doesn't matter as much with them in the East. I bleed blue now, from here on out...
You can be a fan of Yzerman and not the Wings. I still think Stevie was amazing and hated that the Wings were fortunate enough to have him. Same for Lidstrom

Reactions: EastonBlues22

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Jerabek looked awful at times with The Blues - probably a slightly worse than average AHLer, at best. I would hope that Del Zotto will play significantly better than that (defence like an average 3rd shifter, and help bring the puck up ice, and help distribute the puck on the 2nd PP unit.
I like MDZ better too but Jerabek only played ONE game for the Blues. If we are going to decide he sucks after 1 game, then that was a f***ing awful trade. I know it was a late pick but what a waste.

Reactions: mk80

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Better hope Toronto lets Gardiner walk and he’ll take a Bouwmeester-ian contract then.

I hope they stay away from Gardiner. We already have 2 PMD on the right side and 1 on the left. I'd much rather have someone that is a stay at home, hold the blueline type D. If MDZ is going to want too much $$, I'd look at Braydon Coburn. TBL is going to be really tight to the cap with them having to sign Point. He is nothing glamorous but if Blues bring back Berube, Chief will be familiar with him during Coburn's time in Philly.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I like MDZ better too but Jerabek only played ONE game for the Blues. If we are going to decide he sucks after 1 game, then that was a ****ing awful trade. I know it was a late pick but what a waste.

He had a lot of practices too while working on his visa issues. He was atrocious in the one game as well. My guess is we traded for him sight unseen relying on someone close to the organization saying he was decent. When we saw him, we couldn't bury him quickly enough. Overall it was odd how quickly we buried him after trading for him.

Tarasenkshow

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis, MO
You can be a fan of Yzerman and not the Wings. I still think Stevie was amazing and hated that the Wings were fortunate enough to have him. Same for Lidstrom
Agreed. "The perfect human" would have been a blessing on any team. The Wings won the lottery with those types of players but they were awful for many many years before that

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

They should give out #5 again after the way he did the city. It's not like Tavares where they rarely made the playoffs and his time here was nothing but shit.

I love Pronger but saying he was the greatest player we've ever had is blasphemy. Don't get me wrong because I still want his 44 retired.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I hope they stay away from Gardiner. We already have 2 PMD on the right side and 1 on the left. I'd much rather have someone that is a stay at home, hold the blueline type D. If MDZ is going to want too much $$, I'd look at Braydon Coburn. TBL is going to be really tight to the cap with them having to sign Point. He is nothing glamorous but if Blues bring back Berube, Chief will be familiar with him during Coburn's time in Philly.

Coburn is older and more expensive than Gunnarsson, and as a free agent from outside the organization, has every reason to expect a multi-year contract. He’s old, slow, and declining. That would be horrible. 5 years ago? I’d be thrilled. He’s over the hill now tho

Reactions: Celtic Note

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
They should give out #5 again after the way he did the city. It's not like Tavares where they rarely made the playoffs and his time here was nothing but ****.

I love Pronger but saying he was the greatest player we've ever had is blasphemy. Don't get me wrong because I still want his 44 retired.
He is absolutely in the conversation at least.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Overreaction IMO but okay.

Del Zotto is wearing #42. I love it. Hope to see people whine about the same thing with Backes. :laugh:
Doesn't bother me at all. 1st ballot HOFer is on a completely different level than fan favorite/former captain.

Reactions: BlueDream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad