Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Marcel Goc for Max Lapierre [PIT]

Mzeppelin1

Apr 26, 2014
i have actually wanted this trade for a long time. it makes so much sense financially. goc jerseys cost less than lapierre jerseys because there's only 3 letters

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm really liking this deal for the Blues. We will obviously have to wait to see how it translates on the ice, but on paper, I like Goc a good deal more than Lappy.

How is see the comparison/who I give the edge to:

Hockey sense: Goc
Defensive ability: Goc - as stated in JR's story today, this should allow Ott and Reaves to forecheck harder while Goc sits back and covers things defensively
Offensive ability: Goc, although neither are going to contribute all that much
PK ability: Goc, by a lot, and this is a big plus for the Blues. Goc himself helps the PK but this also allows guys like Backes, Oshie and Steen to play a little less on the PK, which should result in them being fresher for their even strength and PP time
Skating: Even
Faceoffs: Even
Physicality: Lappy
Size/strength: Lappy
Chippiness: Lappy

The Blues gave up a little size and chippiness (although Lappy's edge has softened a bit lately anyway) but the Blues could afford to part with that as they still have a good amount of grit and edge with Ott and Reaves. In return, they got a 4th line C that is very good on the PK. This is a big plus for the Blues - Goc himself makes the PK better but it also allows guys like Backes, Oshie, Steen etc. to play a little less PK, thus being fresher for their even strength and PP time. That's a small but very important aspect of this trade. Goc will also help the 4th line defensively at even strength and may even boost the offense of the 4th line a bit but if so, I expect it to be negligible. Goc also has the ability to play a 3rd line role in the event of injuries. He's not an ideal 3rd liner at this stage of his career but he can certainly fill in there admirably, at least better than Lappy would.

Great trade on paper. Hopefully it turns out that way on the ice too.

Nice post.

I'm trying to look at this from Pittsburgh's perspective. I guess they felt the need to increase the physicality of the 4th line, with an eye toward the post-season. I hope Lapierre works out for them. I have no complaints about him, but I do get the sense Hitchcock wanted something different. I also have been frustrated with the PK. The sense on the board is that the team has played it more passively, and that is why we're seeing inferior results to past seasons (though its picked up lately). But if that's the correct diagnosis, what does Lapierre have to do with it, and will putting in Goc really help?

I have no complaints about the trade, just not sure of how big an impact it could have. When you're tinkering with your 4th line, nothing terribly momentous is likely to result.

Yoko Ono*

This team just keeps getting softer and softer. Maybe they start fining players for being physical.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's not like Lappy was a physical player or anything. Lappy only has 48 hits in 45 games. Goc actually has more, 56 in 43 games.

Yep...we didn't lose any physicality. Lappy was pretty tame out there. From what hitch said, they will allow them to unleash Ott and Reaves even more. Well see how that plays out

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013
I'm thinking Armstrong told Brodeur after he got the Assistant GM job that he gets to do one trade to get his feet wet and be someone from the fourth line not named Reeves.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm thinking Armstrong told Brodeur after he got the Assistant GM job that he gets to do one trade to get his feet wet and be someone from the fourth line not named Reeves.
Nah. Rutherford said he and Army had been talking about this for a couple weeks.

I don't think Brodeur had even an ounce of say in this. Plus I don't think his first trade would be shipping out a fellow French speaker. :laugh:

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
This team just keeps getting softer and softer. Maybe they start fining players for being physical.

The only people I've ever seen call the Blues soft are Blues fans. It leads me to believe that most St. Louisians don't watch a lot of the rest of the league, have some sort of inferiority complex regarding physicality, or think the game is still where it was in the late 90s.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Toughness has been the Blues' identity for basically their entire existence. They've pretty much always been a blue-collar, hard-working, physical team. And St. Louis likes that out of all their sports teams, so it's kinda natural.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Toughness has been the Blues' identity for basically their entire existence. They've pretty much always been a blue-collar, hard-working, physical team. And St. Louis likes that out of all their sports teams, so it's kinda natural.

Maybe, but we've also never won a Stanley Cup. Which makes me think that sacrificing toughness for ability is probably the way to go when you can.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Maybe, but we've also never won a Stanley Cup. Which makes me think that sacrificing toughness for ability is probably the way to go when you can.
I don't disagree with you. It'll be interesting to see how this year's team does since they have more skill. I think you need both to win, so we'll have to wait and see if they do have the right combination.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
OT:

Forget toughness and skills. I wan't this group to be fully energetic and healthy when post-season starts.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
The only people I've ever seen call the Blues soft are Blues fans. It leads me to believe that most St. Louisians don't watch a lot of the rest of the league, have some sort of inferiority complex regarding physicality, or think the game is still where it was in the late 90s.

I agree. Never understood why the vocal minority of Blues fans keeps harping on about physicality. It's like if they don't have a line brawl every game, the Blues are pushovers. I do think our defenders could be a lot better about beating guys and getting to rebounds in front of the net quicker, whether you want to call that toughness or not is up to you. But as an overall team, Blues can hang with anyone. Physicality isn't why the Blues have been knocked out of the playoffs. It's purely scoring issues.

Besides, those guys should read a little Blues history. Remember the last time the Blues made a big trade and sacrificed skill for a "tough" defenseman? Vancouver is still laughing at us for that.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
We need more scoring/skill. Good trade, but it's still not the one we need to make before the playoffs (winger for Stastny line).

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My impression of Goc was formed when he played for the Predators. He was impressive then, a very good skater.

Assuming he is still that player, he'll be a significant upgrade over Lapierre.

I didn't like the Lapierre acquisition, didn't think he added anything to our team unless he was an intimidator. He turned out not to be.

Ghost Face

Hull of Fame
Mar 9, 2011
Winnipeg
We need more scoring/skill. Good trade, but it's still not the one we need to make before the playoffs (winger for Stastny line).

We are still 3rd in G/PG in the league, so personally I'm not dying to see a shake up trade. Currently I'm content to let Jaskin get more ice time to develop.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I have to admit, I didn't see where this trade would really have much impact. But after only 2 games, now I see. It was a good move. Its only for the 4th line, and somewhat limited minutes. But I think the 4th line will be reliable for important shifts in playoff OT hockey games, and more of a factor in the game than they have been. (And I didn't have any complaints about what the 4th line was doing before. But I think this move makes them an "elite 4th line" if that makes any sense.

I wonder how Lapierre will work out for Pittsburgh.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yes 4th line has clicked before this Goc trade, but I think Otter - Reaver are now in somehow mentally 'free' that they can 'hunt' ppl down on corners and play that hard hitting game even more (Goc is supporting us). Ofc this short sample 2 GP, but you couldnt ask for more how great this Goc trade has been so far. Boys are syncing and that all the time conversation on bench is also joy to my eyes. If 4th line can be as hard, nasty and productive on post-season, boy they are that games changer 'squad/line' and maybe series winning factor.

I love how Otter is 'bringin it up' to Reaver after goal. Boost it up baby. :bb:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad