Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Marcel Goc for Max Lapierre [PIT]

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I have to admit, I didn't see where this trade would really have much impact. But after only 2 games, now I see. It was a good move. Its only for the 4th line, and somewhat limited minutes. But I think the 4th line will be reliable for important shifts in playoff OT hockey games, and more of a factor in the game than they have been. (And I didn't have any complaints about what the 4th line was doing before. But I think this move makes them an "elite 4th line" if that makes any sense.

I wonder how Lapierre will work out for Pittsburgh.

And, because of all that, they'll be able to play more minutes, and keep the Top 9 forwards more rested and fresher. THAT was a key in The Blues problems at the end of last season, and into the playoffs.

The Blues can now roll 4 lines like The Kings do.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Goc is a superior player to Lapierre imo. When he played for Florida, he was playing 3rd line minutes and I think some PP time, and he didn't look out of place. I'd feel much more comfortable with Goc on a 3rd line with say Jaskin and Berglund then I would with Lapierre with Jaskin and Berglund.

Right now our Center depth is actually pretty good:

Backes
Lehtera
Stastny
Goc
Berglund
Ott
Lindstrom
Steen/Schwartz

That's a pretty solid core down the middle, not to mention we -could- technically add Sobotka if we needed to.

RR10*

B8Z-O_LCQAAKNn8.png

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
NHL.com actually mentions that Lapierre is a bad possession player in this week's Super 16. Kinda interesting.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Goc is clearly the superior player. His hockey sense has really stuck out to me. He's a smart player out there. Works hard, great on faceoffs, good defensive awareness and has a bit more offense to offer.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Are these multiple years comparison, or just a tongue in cheek jab at the "only two points plotted" comments?

They should have just posted that graph in the first place on the main board thread. It makes it very clear that Goc consistently has the better numbers

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He makes winning face-offs look sooo easy.

Goc is at 56 %, and The Blues were 2nd in The NHL before he arrived. What used to be a team weakness 5 years ago, is now a team strength, same with scoring, power play and puck possession. The Blues are very solid in most measurable areas.

What they need now is to develop confidence, swagger and killer instinct, and to stay healthy and well-rested for The playoffs, and to bring their A-game against the 3 teams that have subconsciously "intimidated" them over the past 4 years.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Sooo Goc, is a pretty good player. lol For real. He has some outstanding composure with the puck. He absolutely looks like he could be slid into any line. Interesting move that could pay off, considering I thought it was just lateral move initially.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Goc is at 56 %, and The Blues were 2nd in The NHL before he arrived. What used to be a team weakness 5 years ago, is now a team strength, same with scoring, power play and puck possession. The Blues are very solid in most measurable areas.

What they need now is to develop confidence, swagger and killer instinct, and to stay healthy and well-rested for The playoffs, and to bring their A-game against the 3 teams that have subconsciously "intimidated" them over the past 4 years.

Hell, faceoffs were a team weakness last year.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
What steal this turned out to be! :yo:

On the surface it's an insignificant trade but it's changed the entire complexion of this team.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This trade is a perfect example of people not understanding why smarts and hockey sense trump every other attribute in a player.

everyone thought it was lateral or that we even lost this trade because Lapierre is faster, which IMO, he isn't even that much faster, but i said right when this happened that i think it's great because goc is a much smarter player with and without the puck, has better hands and offensive hockey sense and is great on the draws.... I'm glad people are finally realizing this.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hell, faceoffs were a team weakness last year.
They were above 50% last year. So, I wouldn't term it a
'weakness". But a "possession" team needs to start with the puck. So, at less than 51%, it certainly wasn't a strength. It IS a strength now, with Ott, Goc, Backes, Stastny, Lehterä, all with good faceoff numbers, and with Schwartz, Oshie and Berglund with acceptable numbers, they now have an automatic advantage in possession even before they start skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad