Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
“Terry Cinco”

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I had this long thing typed up but I don't need it. My comment was an emotional comment as opposed to one of logic. It's true that coaches would be the last people to decide if a player gets back in, but my irrational fear of someone like Tarasenko getting hurt AGAIN is why I made it in the first place. I'm not infallible plz don't tell my boss
Nothing irrational about that fear. I think it would be irrational to pretend like a guy on his 3rd shoulder surgery doesn't have an increased risk of injury. I'm going to be holding my breath whenever he gets hit and will probably always have a nagging worry. That fear can rationally coexist with the understanding that there is a point in his recovery where the odds of another injury plateau. I think that we are at that point because I don't believe Stillman would allow him in the lineup unless the medical staff thinks we are at that point.

I'm not trying to dismiss your fear at all, my intention was simply to put your mind at ease while your heart/gut continues to panic.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Nothing irrational about that fear. I think it would be irrational to pretend like a guy on his 3rd shoulder surgery doesn't have an increased risk of injury. I'm going to be holding my breath whenever he gets hit and will probably always have a nagging worry. That fear can rationally coexist with the understanding that there is a point in his recovery where the odds of another injury plateau. I think that we are at that point because I don't believe Stillman would allow him in the lineup unless the medical staff thinks we are at that point.

I'm not trying to dismiss your fear at all, my intention was simply to put your mind at ease while your heart/gut continues to panic.

"It really boils down to doctor's clearance, the trainer's clearance," Berube said of when Tarasenko will return. "Then it's up to the player to decide from a mental standpoint if he's ready to play. When a player comes to me and says he's ready to play and he's cleared, I put him in.

This is what Berube said today. Maybe fans analyze these things more than the actual player and staff do, because he makes it seem like an easy decision. It basically comes down to the doctor's judgment...and we can only hope they don't clear a guy unless he's truly ready to play. But then, as you mentioned, you can't really know what will happen until it's tested in a game situation. It will be nerve-wracking, but I'm just happy to have my favorite player back soon!

Reactions: Brian39 and stl76

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
We lived with this with MacInnis for a while, where he kept popping his shoulder out. He kept playing like an elite defenseman when he was healthy, and eventually he needed shoulder surgery to tighten up the socket. (I think it was a partial rebuild because of all the damage.) It was a stick in the eye that f***ed up his vision that finally did him in.

Let's hope they did this surgery right to prevent future recurrences.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I started dating my girlfriend in the middle of last season and she has become a big Blues’ fan despite growing up in Iowa without hockey. She’s gone from not knowing anything about hockey to knowing the start times for every Blues’ game for the week and reminding me to turn on the game for the two of us. She’s so excited to finally see this “Terry Cinco” she’s heard so much about.

For as good of a hockey player that Tarasenko is, he’s, reportedly, an even better person. For both their sakes, I really hope he’s able to return to prime Vlad, and maybe even be better playing with a system better built to utilize his offense. Cannot wait.
She sounds like a keeper! :thumbu:

Reactions: Devonator

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure how long his recovery time was, and especially with shoulder injuries, it could be a few months to like 7. I know for ACL injuries it's pretty strict on at least like a 7 month recovery time, and I just assumed it was the same for Tarasenko's shoulder. Also factor in those 3 surgeries and I'll always cringe whenever he gets hit. So along with that fear, I just didn't have all the info (I'm on a computer why didn't I look it up).

On a side note, I know Berglund and Steen had shoulder surgeries, but they seemed to stave of being on IR because of it afterwards. I hope Vova isn't predisposed to those types of injuries, but I wonder how much different their training and upkeep for something like that is compared to Tarasenko?

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
There isn't a franchise in the NHL that would allow their coaching staff to override any concerns the medical staff has in this situation.

I think it's been established that based on cap considerations and other "issues," there are indeed medical staffs that will say what is needed to get players back on the ice at the ideal strategic moment. I don't think ours fits into that, but we don't need to look much more than four hours away to find one.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Add another body to the pile: JDLR played just over a minute before leaving with a lower-body injury.
Yeah when he didn't return I figured it might be significant. Could be a chance for Walker to stick in the lineup a bit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
DLR on IR per Jim Thomas.

We are now down a lot of centers and PK’ers. I have no idea who will center the 4th line now.

Seems like Mac, Clifford and Schenn have been added to the PK. We will really need them to step up there. Maybe Walker could get a look too, I’m interested to see how he performs by staying in the lineup.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
DLR on IR per Jim Thomas.

We are now down a lot of centers and PK’ers. I have no idea who will center the 4th line now.

Seems like Mac, Clifford and Schenn have been added to the PK. We will really need them to step up there. Maybe Walker could get a look too, I’m interested to see how he performs by staying in the lineup.

Sheesh, when will it end? Joey Vitale seems to still be in shape, let's bring him in for a tryout!

In all seriousness, someone mentioned UFA Brian Boyle in another thread....maybe he's worth a look.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
tarasenko - shoulder (LTIR) - "good chance of returning on this road trip" - berube
schwartz - lower body (day-to-day) - out two weeks so far, did not accompany team on the trip
parayko - undisclosed (day-to-day) - out almost two weeks with a suspected back injury, did not accompany team on the trip
thomas - thumb (IR) - 2+ weeks left
barbashev - ankle (IR) - 5+ weeks left
de la rose - lower body (IR) - unknown timeline
bozak - upper body (IR) - post-concussion symptoms, skated once, no longer skating
gunnarsson - knee (IR) - out for the season

tarasenko's return is apparently imminent, schwartz and/or parayko are potentially able to return next week, and thomas soon after. i expect the blues will keep trying to weather the storm rather than bring anyone in but if bozak goes to LTIR, that might change

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I read the above as 'no help coming for the foreseeable future'. Tarasenko may have fresh legs, but his effectiveness even if playing with healthy, established line-mates would be uncertain. I wouldn't be surprised to see none of Schwartz, Parayko, Thomas or Bozak return in the next three weeks. The team is going to have to dig deep and manufacture energy, and eek out wins with will-power for the near-term. A month from now they'll hopefully be close to fully healthy, and within striking distance of 4th place in the Central. Minnesota, LA & Phoenix...gotta finish ahead of two of them.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Just checking out the game reports on the AHL's website since it's hard to find any stats other than points, shots, +/- and we're not really in luck with any forwards down there. Joshua played on the pk in Utica, but he's not going to play center up here. McGing is playing pk as well, but he's not even close to being a callup right now. You could bring up McKenzie as depth, but again he doesn't play center. So you're left with turning guys into pk'ers who aren't your go-to pk'ers. Idk what the Blues could do to shore up that niche, but they're going to have to do something, otherwise you're going to run your top 6 into the ground using them on pk, pp, and 5 on 5.

Having a guy like MacEachern on the penalty kill gives you a new dynamic that you wouldn't have otherwise. His speed is a nice asset, but it's only going to work if your guys are being aggressive making the other team flub on passes or just make bad passes in general. I have no idea if Sanford is effective on the pk, but at this point we're pretty limited. Not sure what else this team can do to alleviate the problem right now other than sign a free agent, but then you're gonna have to wait for them to pass quarantine.

Edit: A bit surprised Joshua is listed at center tonight, but oh well

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I’m really worried about Bozak. Post-concussion symptoms with relapse is a really bad sign. f*** Mark Stone and the league for not taking head injuries seriously.
*Knock on wood* It would be the Bluesiest thing to have 4 important pieces from the cup run suddenly retire due to injuries. Bouw, Steen, possibly Gunnar, and Bozak if he can't recover from the concussion. I'm really hoping both Bozak and Gunnar can recover and return to an NHL club in the future, but at their ages it may be best to retire.

Reactions: Zamadoo

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Bozak made the trip. Schwartz and Parayko did not. @Stealth JD is right: this is going to have to come from within the guys currently in the locker room for the forseeable future. Our TDL add may merely be getting everyone healthy.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I believe JR recently (over the weekend) put out that Schwartz's injury may be more serious than originally thought. I don't think he or Parayko are coming back soon.

*Edit* I guess he says "his" mild concern, not the team's.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
DLR, Barbashev, Thomas, and potentially Schwartz and Parayko could all be out for at least the next month.

We need to get Tarasenko and Bozak back within the next week, and hope we can stay healthy for at least the next few weeks following that. If this scenario can happen, I think we will be okay.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
On my work computer so I can't add the actual tweet, but JR followed up with some information directly from Army earlier today:

Tarasenko - hopefully plays on this trip
Thomas - re-evaluated in 4 weeks
Barbashev - re-evaluated in 6 weeks
De La Rose - re-evaluated in 3 weeks
Parayko, Schwartz and Bozak "out indefinitely"

"Out indefinitely" isn't as ominous as it sounds, per Army.

In a separate tweet, he quoted Army as saying that Bozak is on LTIR, so bringing Tarasenko back has no cap issues. Barring any further injuries (knocks wood) we might have our full roster (minus Barbashev) back together for the last five weeks of the season. Hopefully that's enough time to evaluate the effectiveness of returning players, establish roles and get some cohesiveness back in their play once everyone settles in their roles. Right now, making the playoffs should be the only goal. I'll take my chances with this lineup when everyone is healthy (there are no guarantees we'll ever see this) against any and all comers in the league. We'd be underdogs to a handful of teams (BOS, TB, VGK, COL) but I wouldn't be scared of any of them if Binny is on his game and the forwards and d-men are clicking.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Parayko, Schwartz and Bozak "out indefinitely"

"Out indefinitely" isn't as ominous as it sounds, per Army.
What it says though is that they have no clue when/if any of them will be back this season. Maybe yes, maybe no. Who is to say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad