Blues 2016 Offseason Thread Part II

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues are wild card team. Top6 team, give me a break. Are they drunk already?

They have the Blues 3rd in the division and just edging out Nashville for the wildcard spot. Seems realistic. I think Nashville will be better and Chicago will be worse, though.

Not sure what to expect from Dallas, but I could see them winning the conference again.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Chicago always seems to get a major preseason boost based on their past performance, but I see them sliding; as I see us sliding as well. I'm going with Dallas winning the division, Nashville 2nd, us 3rd, and Chicago as a wild card.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Has Wild lost such a big names like we did: Backes, Brouwer and Elliott? They have their core in. + BB are their head coach. I think we've viewed our position too optimistic, there is impact loosing Backes and biggest impact has we lost Elliott. Allen just doesn't have poise to play high level majority of season, its too IF situation. He could, but I just don't believe and also pointing injuries happends and Hutton isn't the man who can take his spot.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
How much time, on average, does this require per game?

It's mostly just copy and pasting. The only thing that will take a little time is scrolling through the thread and seeing who scored points in the previous game before starting the new thread. I'd say 5-10 minutes per game tops.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Has Wild lost such a big names like we did: Backes, Brouwer and Elliott? They have their core in. + BB are their head coach. I think we've viewed our position too optimistic, there is impact loosing Backes and biggest impact has we lost Elliott. Allen just doesn't have poise to play high level majority of season, its too IF situation. He could, but I just don't believe and also pointing injuries happends and Hutton isn't the man who can take his spot.

Even with Backes, Brouwer and Elliott leaving, the Blues should still be a better team than Minnesota.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I hope you are right, I really do.

Perron vs Brouwer....pretty close to even there, no? Different games, but overall contribution should be similar.

Losing Backes. Hard to replace.

Adding Sobotka.

Losing Elliott, but gain a respectable NHL back-up goalie.

The Blues should be below last season, although big improvements from Fabbri and Parayko and Edmundson could help. And can they avoid the number of injuries endured from last year?

I think you're not adding enough credit for the additions to offset (partially) the losses.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Perron vs Brouwer....pretty close to even there, no? Different games, but overall contribution should be similar.

Adding Sobotka.

The Blues should be below last season, although big improvements from Fabbri and Parayko and Edmundson could help. And can they avoid the number of injuries endured from last year?

I think you're not adding enough credit for the additions to offset (partially) the losses.

Exactly. If the Blues stay pretty healthy, they'll be just fine. People seem to forget that the first game that everybody was healthy was game one against the Hawks.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Adding Sobotka.

I agree with most of this post, however I see the bolded as secondary. The larger miscalculation I think many people (Blues fans and others around the league) are making is the other point you mentioned: improvements from existing young players.

Not just second year guys (Fabbri, Parayko, and Edmundson) but also guys like Schwartz, Tarasenko, and Allen stepping into more prominent roles. Obviously injuries can derail everything, but if a few things line up just right, I can actually see this team taking a step FORWARD from last season.

Glass = half full Ranksu ;)

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
As good as last year? Probably not. But the moves we made have given great opportunities to Allen, Perron, Jaskin, Hutton.

I don't expect Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stastny, Steen, Lehtera taking their game to a higher level. We pretty well know who they are. Maybe Fabbri has a higher gear.

To me, Jaskin is the real wild card. I could see him coming on and being a solid contributor, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was a bust again, as he was last year.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Had something cool happen to me last night. I work overnights at QuikTrip (local gas station for ppl outside Stl). As I am working last night who walks in to get gas, Charles Glenn. It took me a second to recognize him but then when I asked his response was great.

Me: Excuse me, are you Charles Glenn?
Him: Why yes I am, pound for pound.

Not sure why but I loved that response. We talked about the Blues for a minute. Said they had big things planned for this 50th anniversary this year. Said he can't wait for Winter Classic. I was going to ask him for a picture but seeing as it was 11:30 at night and he was just getting gas I didn't want to keep him. He was really nice and very enthusiastic about the Blues. This chance meeting got me even more psyched for the start of the season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
As good as last year? Probably not. But the moves we made have given great opportunities to Allen, Perron, Jaskin, Hutton.

I don't expect Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stastny, Steen, Lehtera taking their game to a higher level. We pretty well know who they are. Maybe Fabbri has a higher gear.

To me, Jaskin is the real wild card. I could see him coming on and being a solid contributor, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was a bust again, as he was last year.

The World Cup friendly games didn't give me hope. He was invisible and when notice him it was like watching Steve Ott playing himself out of position/game and making bad decisions which turn in to him taking penalty. Not hope at all for Jaskin. Looks like he's brainwashed by Hitch, play physical and run all over the place.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The World Cup friendly games didn't give me hope. He was invisible and when notice him it was like watching Steve Ott playing himself out of position/game and making bad decisions which turn in to him taking penalty. Not hope at all for Jaskin. Looks like he's brainwashed by Hitch, play physical and run all over the place.

Why would Hitchcock brainwash him to do that? What a bizarre comment.

I also hold small hopes of him improving, but there is a chance. Time to crap or get off the pot.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Had something cool happen to me last night. I work overnights at QuikTrip (local gas station for ppl outside Stl). As I am working last night who walks in to get gas, Charles Glenn. It took me a second to recognize him but then when I asked his response was great.

Me: Excuse me, are you Charles Glenn?
Him: Why yes I am, pound for pound.

Not sure why but I loved that response. We talked about the Blues for a minute. Said they had big things planned for this 50th anniversary this year. Said he can't wait for Winter Classic. I was going to ask him for a picture but seeing as it was 11:30 at night and he was just getting gas I didn't want to keep him. He was really nice and very enthusiastic about the Blues. This chance meeting got me even more psyched for the start of the season.
Charles Glenn is a super cool dude. Always feels weird when he doesn't do the anthem for us at home.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Jaskin hasn't been getting a lot of ice time in the WCH games so far at around 10 to 11 minutes a game. I'm pretty sure it is the least on average of any Czech players who have played in their games.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I also hold small hopes of him improving, but there is a chance. Time to crap or get off the pot.

It's somewhat disappointing. He looked great last preseason. Confident and skating looked better. Too bad it lasted for 2 weeks. Then we see plays like the one against Detroit and that hope returns

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

Adding Sobotka.

I'd agree that the roster talent level dictates that the Blues should make the playoffs, and could even be reasonably close to what we had last year of Fabbri and Parayko develop well, though it's hard to picture them making it past the 2nd round once they are there.

IMO, the Blues roster talent is a lesser concern relative to the Blues ability to adapt their style of play to the roster talent they do have. The Blues shipped out productive guys like Oshie and Perron himself in part because they didn't fit the "straight lines" and "heavy game" that they wanted to play. Now they've lost two high minutes forwards who fit that style well, and are counting on guys like Fabbri and Perron to replace their contributions.

It sounds like the Blues will try to adapt defensively as they integrate Yeo's ideas, but I haven't heard anything about any philosophical changes on offense. That concerns me, as I don't really think you can get the most out of guys like Fabbri and Perron (and Tarasenko, and Schwartz) the same way that you did with Backes and Brouwer.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Numerous times Hitch have quote they try to fit Jaskin straightforward, gritty(physical) style of hockey. I don't know has Jaskin forgot how to play more skilled way, but looks like he's lost. I think putting him play that style, they are gonna waste his potential in offensive side. And quite frankly does Jaskin even knows what team(s) are execptin from him. Like playing in Czech, he looked running everywhere, playing gritty and constantly putting himself out of posiotion, but tonight will give us better overview about Jaskin. I hope Blues fans will look him tonight how does he look.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Numerous times Hitch have quote they try to fit Jaskin straightforward, gritty(physical) style of hockey. I don't know has Jaskin forgot how to play more skilled way, but looks like he's lost. I think putting him play that style, they are gonna waste his potential in offensive side. And quite frankly does Jaskin even knows what team(s) are execptin from him. Like playing in Czech, he looked running everywhere, playing gritty and constantly putting himself out of posiotion, but tonight will give us better overview about Jaskin. I hope Blues fans will look him tonight how does he look.

Those quotes, I always took as being a point about the style he needs to play on the 4th line energy role. Either way, I want the Jaskin that we saw when he got into the game vs Dallas in the playoffs.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Parayko and Fabbri could sustain this team if they continue their progression...I have a feeling that they won't disappoint.

My biggest worry is that Allen really will need to step up with Elliott gone. Is he going to suddenly be a guy who can carry a team in the playoffs? Time will tell.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Here's some quotes from Hitch regarding the change in their offensive forecheck

We'll see how it turns out once the season starts though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad