Blues #1 goaltender race Allen vs. Johnson vs. Husso?

Blues #1 goaltender?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
We are going to need well over a cumulative .500 quality start percentage from our goaltenders the rest of the way. Johnson is currently at .667 and his fundamentals look pretty solid. Allen is at .364 and he has looked erratic. I would probably roll with Johnson getting about 60% of the starts over the next few weeks...Allen getting the remainder. Re-evaluate at the end of November.

Note: Jimmy Howard is at .750 with 12 starts so, if such a trade is indeed possible, I would consider it. I certainly would not send Kyrou or a first for the deal. The overall point is that I would consider any cheap deal that might provide a slight upgrade.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Id hate to even think what it would take to acquire a legit goalie. I hate parting with young talent, so Thomas, Kyrou, Bokk and Kostin are not on the table. Maybe something around Blais, Stevens, Binnington and a 2019 2nd? Is that package even attractive to somebody like Columbus for Bob?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Id hate to even think what it would take to acquire a legit goalie. I hate parting with young talent, so Thomas, Kyrou, Bokk and Kostin are not on the table. Maybe something around Blais, Stevens, Binnington and a 2019 2nd? Is that package even attractive to somebody like Columbus for Bob?

I’d think Allen goes in any trade situation, but honestly I’ve warmed up to the idea of Jimmy Howard, if we don’t go big game fishing of course.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Allen has the athleticism to do well. Its mental. So the question I've been pondering, would a coaching change have a chance to reset him? He seemed to do that with Brodeur coming in. If the Blues got a new head coach, might we see the good Allen for a while?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Husso seems to be struggling in SA right now. :(
SA is awful. Honestly hard to tell if Husso is good or bad right now. Team is in shambles. Coach calling guys out for just showing up and putting on a jersey, whole damn team is a mess.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
If I was Columbus I don't even touch that.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
As much as I think the defense is to blame for a lot of the bad goal tending this past year, I've also seen enough of Allen to only think of him as an NHL backup.

Ideally, we fire Yeo and a better defensive system makes all our goalies look better. Then we could more easily trade Allen, or more confidently go with Husso + a vet backup (maybe Allen but that would be odd) in the long run

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
SA is awful. Honestly hard to tell if Husso is good or bad right now. Team is in shambles. Coach calling guys out for just showing up and putting on a jersey, whole damn team is a mess.

Agreed. I'd like to get Husso and Kyrou up here just for that reason. More harm than good for them in SA at the moment.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Agreed. I'd like to get Husso and Kyrou up here just for that reason. More harm than good for them in SA at the moment.
Can't hurt. Just don't see where they get the room to play. Blues need to win games, not experiment. Can't just throw AHL guys at the current problem. But I completely agree in that I would like to see what these guys could do at the NHL level on a "good" (read: better than SA) team.

Reactions: Irish Blues

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
As much as I think the defense is to blame for a lot of the bad goal tending this past year, I've also seen enough of Allen to only think of him as an NHL backup.

Ideally, we fire Yeo and a better defensive system makes all our goalies look better. Then we could more easily trade Allen, or more confidently go with Husso + a vet backup (maybe Allen but that would be odd) in the long run
Throw any goalie currently available behind this defense and you'll see the same result. We are up against the cap, and I don't see anyone I'd part with of any value to make a trade.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Can't hurt. Just don't see where they get the room to play. Blues need to win games, not experiment. Can't just throw AHL guys at the current problem. But I completely agree in that I would like to see what these guys could do at the NHL level on a "good" (read: better than SA) team.

It's off-topic for this thread but I have an issue with the way they are handling Kyrou. He's every bit as NHL ready as Thomas and, if we can find time to play Sosh, we can certainly find time for Kyrou. He's a far greater priority than Sosh. Sanford by the way hasn't been a world beater either. His actions were part of the third goal last night.

Again, much of this thinking derives from the thought that SA is a tire fire right now and we probably are hurting a good prospect more than helping him by sending him there.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Throw any goalie currently available behind this defense and you'll see the same result. We are up against the cap, and I don't see anyone I'd part with of any value to make a trade.
Hmm. To me, surrendering 5 goals in 3 games with “not Allen” in goal is a pretty convincing argument that the goalie is the biggest issue right now, perhaps with JBo a close second.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
It's off-topic for this thread but I have an issue with the way they are handling Kyrou. He's every bit as NHL ready as Thomas and, if we can find time to play Sosh, we can certainly find time for Kyrou. He's a far greater priority than Sosh. Sanford by the way hasn't been a world beater either. His actions were part of the third goal last night.

Again, much of this thinking derives from the thought that SA is a tire fire right now and we probably are hurting a good prospect more than helping him by sending him there.

Most likely Sosh is going to sit as soon as Schenn is healthy or Yeo decides to put Maroon back in. When both Schenn and Maroon play Sosh and one of Sunny, or Barbeshev or Sanford will also have to sit.
I just re-watched yesterday's game. Sanford didn't have his best game, but he played pretty well again IMO.
I think Kyrou needs to play as many minutes as possible. When he comes back up, he needs to play a top 6 role. Until somebody gets hurt, I don't think he is better than Schwartz, Tarasenko, Perron, Fabbri yet. If it takes a couple months (or longer), that's fine. I really like Kyrou. I just want him to have more success the next time he is up.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

So what are we supposed to do? Hoard every prospect in STL?

We only have a limited number of roster spots. It’s just flat out tough luck that the Rampage suck. The prospects are going to have to deal with it. There’s nothing we can do there.

Sanford and Sosh have been fine. And they fit more in the bottom 6 than a guy like Kyrou does.

This is my issue with the fanbase’s thinking re: Kyrou. They seem to just disregard every other young player. Let’s just let Sanford, Sosh, Sundqvist waste away in SA or the press box so Kyrou can play? No. Those are young guys too and a couple of them have outperformed Kyrou. You cannot say “Sanford hasn’t been a world beater” and honestly sit there and act like Kyrou was.

He’s 20 years old. He needs to round out his game and gather some confidence first before he’s going to make a difference on our roster. It’s kinda ridiculous to say the Blues are handling him poorly. There’s nothing wrong with what they’re doing. I really couldn’t care less what Kyrou thinks of being on a bad AHL team. That’s part of life. Same goes for Husso. They either have to be part of the solution in turning around that Rampage team, or suck it up. But neither of them are doing anything down there. Being called up to the Blues is a reward, not something they are owed just so their egos don’t get hurt.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Allen has the athleticism to do well. Its mental. So the question I've been pondering, would a coaching change have a chance to reset him? He seemed to do that with Brodeur coming in. If the Blues got a new head coach, might we see the good Allen for a while?

I just have no idea why we hired the goalie coach we did knowing damn well how bad Allen is positionally. Going with someone who he has worked with in the past to hope it helps give him a comforting face or familiarity is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
So what are we supposed to do? Hoard every prospect in STL?

We only have a limited number of roster spots. It’s just flat out tough luck that the Rampage suck. The prospects are going to have to deal with it. There’s nothing we can do there.

Sanford and Sosh have been fine. And they fit more in the bottom 6 than a guy like Kyrou does.

This is my issue with the fanbase’s thinking re: Kyrou. They seem to just disregard every other young player. Let’s just let Sanford, Sosh, Sundqvist waste away in SA or the press box so Kyrou can play? No. Those are young guys too and a couple of them have outperformed Kyrou. You cannot say “Sanford hasn’t been a world beater” and honestly sit there and act like Kyrou was.

He’s 20 years old. He needs to round out his game and gather some confidence first before he’s going to make a difference on our roster. It’s kinda ridiculous to say the Blues are handling him poorly. There’s nothing wrong with what they’re doing. I really couldn’t care less what Kyrou thinks of being on a bad AHL team. That’s part of life. Same goes for Husso. They either have to be part of the solution in turning around that Rampage team, or suck it up. But neither of them are doing anything down there. Being called up to the Blues is a reward, not something they are owed just so their egos don’t get hurt.

Yeah, agree completely. Some fans are so obsessed with the young kids that they can't seem to look at the situation objectively. Soshnikov looked more effective in his first game than Kyrou looked in most of the games I saw. These guys have been around the pro game a lot longer, while Kyrou has much to learn.

There is a lot more to hockey than flashy offensive potential, but it seems that's all that some fans care about. Also, Sundqvist has been playing much better than Kyrou lately and I see no reason to take him out of the lineup. Ditto for Sanford. Actually, I can't think of one good reason Kyrou should be playing over those guys right now.

Regarding the poll, can I vote for Binnington?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I agree with Kyrou in S.A., time in the AHL will benefit him regardless of how S.A. looks right now. We have a coach getting his feet wet at the pro level down there and he'll need time to make adjustments.

Another big thing to consider is how many players we're hoarding up here in STL already. Several guys currently with an NHL job were originally slated to be in S.A. which has no doubt hurt the AHL squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad