Blues #1 goaltender race Allen vs. Johnson vs. Husso?

Blues #1 goaltender?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
The answer is Johnson until he truly struggles. He hasn't given up more than 3 goals in any of his four starts.

Johnson definitely isn't a #1 on a Cup contender. You can see he has physical limitations. He's pretty slow moving in net. However, he simplifies things much like Brian Elliott did. He doesn't overplay the puck and he isn't too aggressive.

Jake Allen still can't do those things. Teams have him figured out. Just confuse him. Make extra passes and Allen will over commit and take himself out of position. We've seen, what, 5-6 years of this? He's getting worse.

You've got to ride the goalie who can keep us in games.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Binnington again posting respectable numbers in the AHL. He's going to get a shot at this rate...

I would get him or Husso up here to give one of them a few starts.

My prediction for how it will be handled: Allen gets about 70% of the starts between now and Thanksgiving unless his play is so poor that Yeo has no choice but to give more time to Johnson.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I would get him or Husso up here to give one of them a few starts.

My prediction for how it will be handled: Allen gets about 70% of the starts between now and Thanksgiving unless his play is so poor that Yeo has no choice but to give more time to Johnson.
Theres only 5 games between now and thanksgiving. 3.5 games would be 70% so round up and 4/5 are Allen starts? Possible.

Or maybe he gets yanked a game :)

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Theres only 5 games between now and thanksgiving. 3.5 games would be 70% so round up and 4/5 are Allen starts? Possible.

Or maybe he gets yanked a game :)

A better bracket would be from tomorrow until Dec. 1.

There will be 10 games in 17 days.

At the end of that stretch, we will be 30% of the way through the season.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
For the record, I think it's defensible to start either goalie tomorrow night. Allen will probably get the start which is fine. I would probably start Johnson the next game unless Allen goes crazy and pitches a shutout.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
For the record, I think it's defensible to start either goalie tomorrow night. Allen will probably get the start which is fine. I would probably start Johnson the next game unless Allen goes crazy and pitches a shutout.
Blues keep trotting out Bouw and Allen in the same games, need to isolate the two and figure out who is the greater cause of suck. Do the Blues really play like they have no faith in Allen or does Bouw kill all momentum while on the ice? Chicken or the egg? Snakey or the Meester?

Reactions: Lancer

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Can't hurt. Just don't see where they get the room to play. Blues need to win games, not experiment. Can't just throw AHL guys at the current problem. But I completely agree in that I would like to see what these guys could do at the NHL level on a "good" (read: better than SA) team.
Exactly. If this team was pretty much sailing into the playoffs and was kind of indifferent about position, or was out of the playoff chase and didn't have much to play for, ... fine, bring kids up, throw them into the lineup, see what happens.

That's not happening with this roster, unless things get desperate. There's not just playoff hopes still in the air, there's still whiffs of high playoff hopes. That will get pursued at all costs, especially to the exclusion of developing young players to be NHL-ready by playing them in NHL games.

Binnington again posting respectable numbers in the AHL. He's going to get a shot at this rate...
Should. Whether he will or not is a different story. Unless he gets to come in and play for the #1 spot, he's going to be UFA (Group 6) at season's end. Not that I think anyone else covets him, but I think if I'm him I at least want a serious shot to compete for an NHL spot next season if I'm coming back here.

Reactions: Lancer

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Should. Whether he will or not is a different story. Unless he gets to come in and play for the #1 spot, he's going to be UFA (Group 6) at season's end. Not that I think anyone else covets him, but I think if I'm him I at least want a serious shot to compete for an NHL spot next season if I'm coming back here.

Problem he faces is any team looking for that is not exactly a team you want to rush off to as a rookie.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Problem he faces is any team looking for that is not exactly a team you want to rush off to as a rookie.
Agreed. I don't think anyone else is rushing to sign him to definitively be the backup, but if he at least gets the chance to compete for the spot somewhere, ... hey, an NHL job is an NHL job. Beggars can't be choosers. I just think if the opportunity arises this season with the Blues and he doesn't get a shot, I don't see what changes that makes it different next year if he comes back [aside from some "Husso decides he's going back home" type move].

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Agreed. I don't think anyone else is rushing to sign him to definitively be the backup, but if he at least gets the chance to compete for the spot somewhere, ... hey, an NHL job is an NHL job. Beggars can't be choosers. I just think if the opportunity arises this season with the Blues and he doesn't get a shot, I don't see what changes that makes it different next year if he comes back [aside from some "Husso decides he's going back home" type move].

If next year becomes a rebuild year, let's sign Binnington to a 1 year, "earn it" contract. Bring him and Husso up and let's see if they can do it. Let Shakey play some AHL puck, maybe he can decide to concentrate on what Brodeur once taught him while he is riding the ABus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->