Blues #1 goaltender race Allen vs. Binnington vs. Husso?

Blues #1 goaltender?

• Jake Allen

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • Jordan Binnington

Votes: 95 74.8%
  • Ville Husso

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Jared Koreau

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Evan Fitzpatrick

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Binnington at the moment is the guy. The guy been great in all his starts and finally so far given us constantly goal tending in front of the net. He play has been very good and what goals that did get past him where tough ones and that is the key and I am liking from him. If he can keep that up and show he can mentally handle the start job, maybe we have the answer in house. With the money tied up with Allen and while the Cap is raising next year, maybe we don't have to spend it on another goalie. If we can trade Allen for anything or if there is a taker out there fine. That easier said and done but if we have to pay him as a backup fine, 2 years left after this year.
Allen need to be traded away at off-season, no matter what if he continue perform this level. Blues can't keep as bavk-up goaltrnder who has 4,350mil.$ cap hit.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
It amazes me how quickly some are to latch on to a new goaltender even when they haven't proven anything yet. I remember a strong call for Johnson to be the new number one after his good start and in getting that shutout. Any long term viable plan is going to have to include an actual starting level goaltender. With a solid back-up, I'm hoping we have him now, and a starting goalie who can take 50 games a season or so we'll be on our way to fixing the problems.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Allen need to be traded away at off-season, no matter what if he continue perform this level. Blues can't keep as bavk-up goaltrnder who has 4,350mil.$ cap hit.

While I agree with that, it's just find that easier said and done. No matter where he goes, you honestly as the way he been playing another team will want him as a starter or take on that cap hit? That kind of where I am at with the situation. If we can move Allen that's fine and I am for it. I just don't see who is going to take it.

It amazes me how quickly some are to latch on to a new goaltender even when they haven't proven anything yet. I remember a strong call for Johnson to be the new number one after his good start and in getting that shutout. Any long term viable plan is going to have to include an actual starting level goaltender. With a solid back-up, I'm hoping we have him now, and a starting goalie who can take 50 games a season or so we'll be on our way to fixing the problems.

That why I say see what he does as the starter for the rest of this season. At less we would have a good idea what we have in Binnington at that point if they make it to the playoffs or get really close and his numbers hold up. They need to be smart with it all because they don't have the cap until they get rid of Allen off there books to sign another starter. The market this off season there is a legit starter going to be out there and Sergi isn't going to be cheap, but the question becomes will we have the cap to sign him and figure out what we are going to do with the defense when only Parayko, Petro and and Bortz have a contract next season.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
While I agree with that, it's just find that easier said and done. No matter where he goes, you honestly as the way he been playing another team will want him as a starter or take on that cap hit? That kind of where I am at with the situation. If we can move Allen that's fine and I am for it. I just don't see who is going to take it.

That why I say see what he does as the starter for the rest of this season. At less we would have a good idea what we have in Binnington at that point if they make it to the playoffs or get really close and his numbers hold up. They need to be smart with it all because they don't have the cap until they get rid of Allen off there books to sign another starter. The market this off season there is a legit starter going to be out there and Sergi isn't going to be cheap, but the question becomes will we have the cap to sign him and figure out what we are going to do with the defense when only Parayko, Petro and and Bortz have a contract next season.
If there is someone that is affordable and can function as the 1A with Allen, I'd rather just eat the salary for Allen as the back-up or 1B rather than losing assets to move the contract. (I'm not 100% sure it would cost assets to move him, but he might be a cost neutral contract at best.) Especially if its something like Binnington, a young guy, I'd rather have a goalie who can is experienced and has the upside of a starter when playing well as the back-up. That's Allen.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I know I have said it a number of times, but I have about negative interest in Bobrovsky. He turns 31 before the start of next season, is currently carrying a .904 on the season, has never gotten past game 6 of the 1st round, has a career playoff SV% of .891 and is hitting free agency because he either doesn't like the city/organization in Columbus (which is fairly similar to St. Louis in a lot of ways), wants to play in a major market or wants to get the most money possible. Regardless of his exact reasons, that means it is going to cost big term and big money to get a guy who has been a playoff disaster and has had some consistency issues throughout his regular season career.

I'd wager that whoever signs him is going to regret that contract by the midway point and potentially sooner.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
For now, ride Binny until he gives us a reason not to. I'd be starting him in 2 out of every 3 with the occasional 3 out of 4 as the schedule dictates.

I don't want to make any decisions about the future in net until I have a larger sample size on Binny. If he can keep this up over another 20+ starts, I'd be comfortable going into next season relying on him to be a tandem or potential starter. Frankly, I'd be completely fine if we couldn't move Allen and roll Binny/Allen out to compete for the net in 2019/20. Despite any complaints about a $4.35 mil backup, we would still be spending less than league average on our goaltending. Binny should be very affordable on a 2 year deal, it would be silly to move Allen if that required giving a team an asset to trade him.

But again, this is premature. Binny has to keep playing well or else it is back to the drawing board and looking into solutions from outside the organization.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Isn't a bit stinger AHL'er goaltender steal your boy's job in the net?

I could bet coaching staff and players trust currently more Binnington then Allen. Looks like majority trust Binny more then Allen.

Prove more, well, it doesn't take a lot of prove when you have compete against Allen who is mess. Allen's value is taking deep downhill if he continue to play this level.

I view Allen is good goaltender, but his style just doesn't under Blues defensive system and he isn't stable mentality and lack of costancy makes him bad choice for team whom are searching their idendity and balanced game. Sum up its totall shitshow where goaltender is poor and players underperform. People lose their shit and confidence. Goaltender who doesn't trying to make himself above everybody just doesn't fit in Blues. Just do your job, be humble and don't blame your defensive guys.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Isn't a bit stinger AHL'er goaltender steal your boy's job in the net?

I could bet coaching staff and players trust currently more Binnington then Allen. Looks like majority trust Binny more then Allen.

Prove more, well, it doesn't take a lot of prove when you have compete against Allen who is mess. Allen's value is taking deep downhill if he continue to play this level.

I view Allen is good goaltender, but his style just doesn't under Blues defensive system and he isn't stable mentality and lack of costancy makes him bad choice for team whom are searching their idendity and balanced game. Sum up its totall ****show where goaltender is poor and players underperform. People lose their **** and confidence. Goaltender who doesn't trying to make himself above everybody just doesn't fit in Blues. Just do your job, be humble and don't blame your defensive guys.
You quote a post about me saying we need a legit number one goaltender and immediately jump on a rant about Allen. I'm convinced you don't even read posts, you're just on here to troll.

Reactions: ChuckLefley

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You quote a post about me saying we need a legit number one goaltender and immediately jump on a rant about Allen. I'm convinced you don't even read posts, you're just on here to troll.
You have been one the biggest Allen fanboy so why you would have change your opinion?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
You have been one the biggest Allen fanboy so why you would have change your opinion?
I'm curious why you call me a fanboy? I try to be fair to the whole team every night. I call out the D when I think they play a poor game. I call out Jake for "soft" goals (I think it's pretty clear you and I have different views on soft goals) when he makes them. I like Allen, and I think he has a future in the NHL. I completely agree that he's been inconsistent, this much is clear; however, he's not the garbage goalie many make him out to be. He's had several consistent long term periods of time where he has carried the team. He's also had several periods of time where he's held the team back. He's going to find success elsewhere, and will probably put us out of the playoffs in the first round wherever he goes. Speaking of fanboys? How is Husso doing? Is he still your guy? If not, why did you change your opinion?

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

No, Allen needs to be traded the second we find someone dumb enough to take him.
Be that the off-season or the trade deadline.

He cost us the PO’s last year and is doing everything in his power to do it again this year.

The guy has to go. I am not a real believer in goalies being real “game changers” in today’s NHL, but Allen actively loses games with his poor play. You can’t allow that to happen.

I don’t know if Binnington is “the answer”, but Allen is an actual problem. Get him out of here any way you can.

Reactions: Ranksu and Thallis

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
No, Allen needs to be traded the second we find someone dumb enough to take him.
Be that the off-season or the trade deadline.

He cost us the PO’s last year and is doing everything in his power to do it again this year.

The guy has to go. I am not a real believer in goalies being real “game changers” in today’s NHL, but Allen actively loses games with his poor play. You can’t allow that to happen.

I don’t know if Binnington is “the answer”, but Allen is an actual problem. Get him out of here any way you can.
I thought it was the team not scoring, Allen and Hutton playing poorly down the stretch that cost us a playoff spot.

It’s funny when someone blames one player.

Reactions: Brockon

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I thought it was the team not scoring, Allen and Hutton playing poorly down the stretch that cost us a playoff spot.

It’s funny when someone blames one player.

When you miss by 1 game there are always a plethora of things you can point at and it is impossible to pinpoint one specific reason why you missed.

That said, Allen’s play in January and February is very much on that list. The guy was absolutely brutal.

The truth is, there were multiple reasons why we missed last year. But Allen was very much part of that equation. And given that he has been MIA for over a month for each of the last 3 years(January/February the 2 years before this year and October this year), he has exposed himself as a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed. A starting goalie simply can’t take a month off every year. That isn’t how the position works. You can’t make the PO’s when your goalie pulls this stunt every year. Especially when the rest of the team doesn’t have an overwhelming skill advantage. And also especially when you are in a Division as tight as the Central.

I don’t know if Binnington is the answer but Allen is an outright problem. Allen actively costs the team wins on an annual basis. That is a problem and it needs to be resolved ASAP before the team can really move forward. The sooner we are rid of him the better.

Reactions: Ranksu and Thallis

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Leaf fan and Owen sound attack fan. I have watched Binnington play many many games. And from the time he was a rookie I said he isn’t the best goalie on this team but you can tell he is the most coachable (all the little things you would see improved from game to game) and will end up as a starter by the end of the year.( they went to memeorial cup that year. And he was huge part of it)
So I propose the leafs help out the blues with their goaltender problem. We will trade you sparks for Binnington that way their is no debate and Allen can continue as your number one. And we have a great back up that takes pressure off of Andersen. We will add in draft pick or prospect like bracco. If you would like to return the favour and help us out with our little problem of having no defence after Rielly we would appreciate and accept the favour in return. How’s nylander a first and liljegren for Parayko and petriangelo.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Leaf fan and Owen sound attack fan. I have watched Binnington play many many games. And from the time he was a rookie I said he isn’t the best goalie on this team but you can tell he is the most coachable (all the little things you would see improved from game to game) and will end up as a starter by the end of the year.( they went to memeorial cup that year. And he was huge part of it)
So I propose the leafs help out the blues with their goaltender problem. We will trade you sparks for Binnington that way their is no debate and Allen can continue as your number one. And we have a great back up that takes pressure off of Andersen. We will add in draft pick or prospect like bracco. If you would like to return the favour and help us out with our little problem of having no defence after Rielly we would appreciate and accept the favour in return. How’s nylander a first and liljegren for Parayko and petriangelo.
Jeez you are so kind. Bye!

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Elliott, Hutton and now Binnington have outplayed Allen, it's clear he needs to go.

Signing him almost sight unseen to his 4 x 4m+ contract was an act of stupidity right up there with signing Mike Yeo to that ridiculous contract.

Package him with a roster player, retain half and trade for a solid backup for Binnington so we can be done with this mess.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
blaa blaa blaa blaa… not important

How’s nylander a first and liljegren for Parayko and petriangelo

I knewed Alex was finnis relative.

and another Parayko trade proposal.

giphy.gif

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
giphy.gif

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

I won't lie, I can easily buy this.

The second half was a masterwork of troll proportions. Well done, sir.

Just next time please, for the love of God, use a speldvhecker ;)

Reactions: attackfan71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna