Blues #1 goaltender race Allen vs. Binnington vs. Husso?

Blues #1 goaltender?

• Jake Allen

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • Jordan Binnington

Votes: 95 74.8%
  • Ville Husso

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Jared Koreau

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Evan Fitzpatrick

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He was not outperformed in 2016-2017 by Hutton.

Including the lockout shortened season-in which he was called up because Elliott had a horrendous stretch and Halak was hurt-also doesn't tell the full story.

Allen is what he is at this point- a slightly above average goal tender who can't be relied upon to carried a full starter's load due to the inconsistency in his play.

I can't tell if you're being serious, but revisionist history would be to not have traded Elliott or to not have traded Bishop, or to not trade for Miller.

How can Jake Allen be a slightly above average goaltender if he can't be relied on? His career stats are 2.55/.910 and he's rocking 3.04/.897 this season... nothing above average about his stats.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
How can Jake Allen be a slightly above average goaltender if he can't be relied on? His career stats are 2.55/.910 and he's rocking 3.04/.897 this season... nothing above average about his stats.
Considering Allen's posted a season's worth of save percentage above .912 in the time he's been in the NHL(which is what the average is since he's made his debut), that's why I said slightly above average.
Should have kept Miller if at all possible, and rolled with him and Elliott. But, hindsight and stuff

Miller should never have been traded for in the first place. Halak/Elliott would have been fine.

Miller was a disaster. Armstrong got desperate on that trade and made us a worse team both then and the future. Giving up a second pick for keeping Miller would have been even worse.

At the time it looked that way, yes, but what assets the Sabres got in return have amounted to nothing worth while.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenSeal

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
At the time it looked that way, yes, but what assets the Sabres got in return have amounted to nothing worth while.

The 1st we gave them was a big part of the trade which got them Bogosian and Evander Kane. I don't love evaluating the value of a pick we sent them based on how it was used, but that's pretty good value. They eventually traded Kane and received a 1st and a 4th. It's not really true to act like they didn't get anything out of the Miller trade.

Reactions: Irish Blues

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Miller should have never been brought in.

It's worth pointing out that the pick we traded to Buffalo, was then flipped to Winnipeg who used it to draft Jack Roslovic #25 overall in the 2015 first round.

There are a couple names between that pick and ours in the 2nd round used to draft Vince Dunn. But really the one that has had the biggest NHL impact you could say we perhaps "missed out on" is Sebastian Aho. But would we have even drafted him if we had retained that pick? That's a question we can't answer.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Miller should have never been brought in.

It's worth pointing out that the pick we traded to Buffalo, was then flipped to Winnipeg who used it to draft Jack Roslovic #25 overall in the 2015 first round.

There are a couple names between that pick and ours in the 2nd round used to draft Vince Dunn. But really the one that has had the biggest NHL impact you could say we perhaps "missed out on" is Sebastian Aho. But would we have even drafted him if we had retained that pick? That's a question we can't answer.
Aho giving passes to Vlad. Dear Lord.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
He was not outperformed in 2016-2017 by Hutton.

Including the lockout shortened season-in which he was called up because Elliott had a horrendous stretch and Halak was hurt-also doesn't tell the full story.

Allen is what he is at this point- a slightly above average goal tender who can't be relied upon to carried a full starter's load due to the inconsistency in his play.

I can't tell if you're being serious, but revisionist history would be to not have traded Elliott or to not have traded Bishop, or to not trade for Miller.
Allen is not an above average goaltender. He was when he was called up but he has declined since. Its not just that he doesnt get to sit during his bad stretches but his hot stretches are getting shorter and less existent. He has been getting less shutouts in more games played since elliot left.

His 2016-2017 was a tale of 2 half seasons but 2017-2018 he was never able to sustain much of a hot stretch and has been absolutely worse this year. He for whatever reason regressed.

I agree people writeoff and ignore his success he had in his early years here because of their hate for allen and love of elliott but you are also downplaying his poor play since then.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
upload_2019-2-6_11-36-35.png

upload_2019-2-6_11-36-55.png

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yeah I’m not playing a prospect just because. If they aren’t playing well at AHL, I’m not bringing them up to the NHL.

That goes doubly in a place like St. Louis. Playoff revenue is super important. Gotta ice your best team. It’s not like you’re going to form an opinion on a guy based off of 2-3 games up here anyway.
Do you Still think Binny isn't #1 guy?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Do you Still think Binny isn't #1 guy?

Long term? Honestly, I'm not sure. He's certainly the guy right now though and that's great.

I stand by the post you're quoting, I never thought the Blues were out of it and to play a kid just because was stupid. Binnington was on a major roll and had helped turn around the season of the Rampage. That's why he got the callup, not because he was something other than Jake Allen.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Everyone that can't face the reality of superior goaltending putting us over the edge after a hasty decision to part ways
B967E248-4540-40AC-832A-D67178963104.jpeg

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I admit I was excited when we got Miller. But I had ignored the under 30 shot average play. Miller-time was a mistake, not so much on Miller, he just wasn't a fit with Corey Hirsch (and trying to rebuild a goalies mental game in such short time is a bad idea), but with a better goalie coach that could help him transition his game, who knows. A team being successful with Miller before his decline would most definitely need to allow more shots for Miller to feel the game. It's tough back there when you let your mind wander due to low activity (assumption on my part).

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Miller was an established, Vezina Trophy winner that was very close to winning a gold medal. He was for years considered a top goalie on a team that was terrible defensively. When he was on a good team, they won the PT. The low shot count thing has been pretty much debunked with modern goalies anyway.

So to answer your question, any other goalie on our roster at the time.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Miller was an established, Vezina Trophy winner that was very close to winning a gold medal. He was for years considered a top goalie on a team that was terrible defensively. When he was on a good team, they won the PT. The low shot count thing has been pretty much debunked with modern goalies anyway.

So to answer your question, any other goalie on our roster at the time.
But he has never played like that again in his other stops since the Blues either. He's been a mediocre level goalie the rest of his career. Still serviceable, but no more so than what the Blues already had. If we'd had prime age Miller, yes he'd have been a difference maker.

I thought he was a guy that played his best in the post-season, with his Olympic performance. But that Chicago series was painful to watch. Some of the stuff he let in...I still shake my head.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
But he has never played like that again in his other stops since the Blues either. He's been a mediocre level goalie the rest of his career. Still serviceable, but no more so than what the Blues already had. If we'd had prime age Miller, yes he'd have been a difference maker.

I thought he was a guy that played his best in the post-season, with his Olympic performance. But that Chicago series was painful to watch. Some of the stuff he let in...I still shake my head.

His numbers in Vancouver are nearly identical to his career in Buffalo. He was a God in 2009/10, but other than that his numbers were that of an average-to-slightly-above average legitimate starter. That's almost exactly what he did in Vancouver and he is posting very strong numbers in a backup role in Anaheim in his late 30s. Unless you are only looking at the year he won the Vezina (which was an extreme outlier and happened more than 3 years before he joined the Blues), it is just not true to say he never replicated his play in Buffalo. He was bad here and has been good at every other stop. His Vancouver career was almost exactly what he was on Buffalo from 2010-2014: a good goalie on a bad team.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Binnington is officially not a fluke. Pencil him in as our starter next year.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Every time I start to think Binnington isn’t a fluke I see a sobering stat. Like tonight, where he now shares a record with 2 other Blues goalies to get 2 shutouts in their first ten games... Brent Johnson and Curtis Sanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad