OT: Blues #1 goaltender Allen vs. Hutton?

Blues #1 goaltender Allen vs. Hutton?

• Allen

• Hutton

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
There are plenty of options available that don't include keeping Jake Allen as the for sure starter.

1. Re-sign competent backup Carter Hutton and pair him with Husso. Let it be an open competition between the 2 for starts.

2. Let Hutton walk and have Allen and Husso compete for starts.

3. Trade Allen, sign new starter and Husso backs him up.

The first two are banking an awful lot on a kid who has never played a single minute of hockey in the NHL. For #3, who is the competent starter we sign if Raanta signs with Arizona? Lehtonen?:eek::help:

We have options, but they are all risky.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The first two are banking an awful lot on a kid who has never played a single minute of hockey in the NHL. For #3, who is the competent starter we sign if Raanta signs with Arizona? Lehtonen?:eek::help:

We have options, but they are all risky.

All of our options are risky, better to take a risk than continue with a 28 year old who has shown that even when handed a starter position he can't outperform his backup.

Hutton platooning with Husso is no more risky than Allen/Husso, Allen/vet backup, new starter/Husso etc. I'd actually argue it's less risky to take Hutton/Husso because stylistically they are both a fit for this team while Allen isn't. At some point you have to throw the preconceived notions of who is a starter and who is a backup out the window and let the goalies decide who is who.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The Blues have this really odd tendency of having their backup be the real stand-up guy. I don't know if it's due to the tenacity and resolve of the goaltender to be better than he was (Brian Elliott is a good example of that, solid positioning, top drawer work ethic, he put in the work and gave it his all but it didn't always translate and was never consistent. ).

Jake just looks afraid at times out there. I have never been sold on him being a legit starter and it never worried me that much because the tandem system tended to work excellingly well for the Blues; two netminders who, if given a small role each, rose to the occasion and had no ceiling. Jake is a good goaltender and he absolutely is a Starter but he's not the Elite Starter so many people have tried to paint him as. He totally lacks mental toughness and positioning. With his contract, the only way he stops playing as the Starter is if we trade him or put him on Waivers. I'd rather we traded him in a package for what we need rather than give him away for nothing.

Extend Carter Hutton, have him backup Husso and let's take a ride. Husso's the real deal and his time is NOW. Those who disagree with this have their priorities screwed up; we need players upfront and need to be more concerned with acquiring quality Forward players than Goaltending, especially at Center.

Hutton will hold up and Husso IS the future. Give them the pipes, strengthen the D and they will be FINE.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Ditto

Hutton/Husso goaltending next season.

Sorry Jake. You may be physically capable, but you are not mentally focused when we need you to be.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'd call up Husso today and start him. We've seen what we got in Jake Allen, let's see what Husso has to offer. The season is pretty much done for the Blues, unless they rally around their netminder, and they ain't doing that around Jake. 2.32/.926 called and said give the kid a shot.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
All of our options are risky, better to take a risk than continue with a 28 year old who has shown that even when handed a starter position he can't outperform his backup.

Hutton platooning with Husso is no more risky than Allen/Husso, Allen/vet backup, new starter/Husso etc. I'd actually argue it's less risky to take Hutton/Husso because stylistically they are both a fit for this team while Allen isn't. At some point you have to throw the preconceived notions of who is a starter and who is a backup out the window and let the goalies decide who is who.

You don't have to convince me. As long as we are not putting Husso in a bad situation that could stunt his development, I am all about the drop Allen bandwagon and have been for 3-4 years. But Allen/Husso is a disaster waiting to happen and could negatively impact Husso.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Now Hutton is gone officially which are option for our back-up goaltender?

1. UFA sign
2. trade
3. Husso

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Rumor was Blues wanted to sign a guy like Chad Johnson to be a stopgap and give Husso a chance to compete for the backup but not block him long term.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
If Lehtonen would take ~2.5 for a one year deal, I would be ok with that. He looked much better under Hitch's system.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Lehtonen would take ~2.5 for a one year deal, I would be ok with that. He looked much better under Hitch's system.
Lehtonen could be decent mentor for Husso, 'cus Husso's goaltending style reminds of what Lehtonen is + he's finnish. I don't like how bad Lehtonen is currenlty. He's softer then Allen.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Lehtonen could be decent mentor for Husso, 'cus Husso's goaltending style reminds of what Lehtonen is + he's finnish. I don't like how bad Lehtonen is currenlty. He's softer then Allen.

To me Kari struggles when the players in front of him play engage in a more risk/reward in effort to create an offensive rush/oportunity. When hitch came in last year, he implemented his D structure and Kari improved. I just see him as a stop gap, if Husso beats him out and gets waived he will likely get claimed.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Easton’s right that this team will ultimately sink or swim with Allen as the goalie. In the short term though, Hutton gives us the best chance to win. He should start until he proves otherwise.
Are you not a mod anymore either?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Arizona fan coming inn peace. Please make the results of the poll visible if you lock it. I suffer from lurking-around-and-being-saddened-by-polls-you-can-only-see-the-results-from-when-voting-but-I-don't-want-to-vote-in-other-teams-polls - syndrom. :naughty:

Reactions: STLomacneko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad