Proposal: BlueJackets----Rangers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Rangers had any shot at being competitive this season, I'd be all for it. Without that happening, and Panarin not negotiating until Free Agency it doesn't make much sense. I'd rather keep Zibby over Wennberg in the long run (Assuming Panarin doesn't sign)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Oh great, the "throw away Wennberg because we hate him" crowd has moved to the trade mains. And I was already having a frustrating day.

This proposal is cheap garbage that makes the Jackets much, much worse - it's giving up on two of our better players in exchange for one halfway-decent older guy and an old waste of space. Absolutely no ****ing way in hell. This is an embarrassment.

While I agree it doesn't make sense for Columbus. Zibby is only 6-7 months older than Wennberg, I don't think that matters much.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Basically Panarin and Bobrovsky are leaving Columbus it will be a shock of either signs there. It makes sense to try and move them but they don't want to tank their season. But realistically you can't have it both ways. Not a Ranger fan but it makes no sense but to wait for UFA.

It's Tavares all over again only worse because Bobrovsky is leaving too. And Wennberg and Torts don't see eye to eye so his value is on that fast train to nowhere. Not a good bargaining position to be asking for an overpay in Zbinejad.

And with their best defender on the shelf you gotta figure the pressure is only going to be worse

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
While I agree it doesn't make sense for Columbus. Zibby is only 6-7 months older than Wennberg, I don't think that matters much.
Why would it matter at all zbinejad is much better than Wennberg and it's not particularly close either.

Wennberg will be hard pressed to get 35 points this year. Torts isn't one to mess around as ranger fans know

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don;t think the Rangers move Zib and certainly not in this type of deal. I'd guess the reality is that if the Rangers are looking at Panarin, they will likely wait until the UFA period to try to sign him rather than lose assets.

But........
Sub Hayes for Zib and you have a Panarin like situation so each team has to take a chance the player re signs with them. Both UFA. The Rangers need to add ADA or Pionk to bring the value closer together, get rid of all the picks.

I'm still not sure the Rangers would do that because at this point with a rebuild, I think picks are more what they are looking at for the future.

Like everyone else, surprise, surprise, Rangers want to have their cake and eat it too.

In this case, to a point, that's possible.
If Hayes REALLY wants to be here and help, he takes one for the team and does like Yankees and Chapman --- rental for this season, returns as UFA.

However, we are not taking the potential benefit of compensation for Hayes and putting it into early Panarin, who can only improve our record and reduce our chances of getting Hughes.

We are not paying for Panarin and he is too valuable to be a throw in on a larger deal.

Wennberg is another story after we got best rental prices for Namest, Zuc, etc, and even Zib, cause he has an NMC which kicks in next season. But again, I don't see a fit and Wenn will get mo on the open market than NY will likely offer.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Tavares left a team which had missed the playoffs the two seasons leading up to his free agency and one which was overhauling its front office.

The Jackets front office just got extended. They're a very competitive team which has made the playoffs the previous two seasons and looks to do so again.

Players don't walk away from competitive teams which offer them the money they deserve and have a prime position open for them unless they have a major falling out with the coaches or front office. If Panarin does so, he would be a very very strange case in the NHL.

Reactions: Viqsi

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Tavares left a team which had missed the playoffs the two seasons leading up to his free agency and one which was overhauling its front office.

The Jackets front office just got extended. They're a very competitive team which has made the playoffs the previous two seasons and looks to do so again.

Players don't walk away from competitive teams which offer them the money they deserve and have a prime position open for them unless they have a major falling out with the coaches or front office. If Panarin does so, he would be a very very strange case in the NHL.
maybe he just hate torts

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I think Panarin is going to look at what Tavares did, and follow the same model:

Don't make it easy to trade yourself to the team you want to sign with: don't let your new team give up assets.

I'm sure Panarin, in the context of the Rangers, would rather to to NYC to play *with* Zibanejad, not to be traded for him.

Tavares got to Toronto, and didn't cost his new team any assets.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
For the record, as soon as I see this particular cliche show up I start tuning folks out. The Jackets are not the Islanders, no matter how determined folks are to write us off as still a "nothing" team.
But it has nothing to do with the jackets just like it has nothing to do with the islanders. It has to do with a player being selfish and doing what he wants for himself. But you'll learn just like isles fans did. Look at the NBA. It's a player revolution. When it happens to you you'll see the light. You can't tune it out when it's real.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
But it has nothing to do with the jackets just like it has nothing to do with the islanders. It has to do with a player being selfish and doing what he wants for himself. But you'll learn just like isles fans did. Look at the NBA. It's a player revolution. When it happens to you you'll see the light. You can't tune it out when it's real.
Except the league is much better off with the Jackets remaining competitive and profitable rather than having players leave *just because.*

There will be pressure to stay and maintain a more or less even talent distribution throughout the league rather than players aggregating talent around a few teams.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Except the league is much better off with the Jackets remaining competitive and profitable rather than having players leave *just because.*

There will be pressure to stay and maintain a more or less even talent distribution throughout the league rather than players aggregating talent around a few teams.

But then that begs the question, who forces him to stay?

The League cant and the Union wont dare suggest it.

Conceptually I dont disagree with your position, but players, when they get to UFA status, can go where they please for what ever amount t they can get.

The only pressure will be from the front office that wants to retain player and a fan base. Otherwise known as normal and standard pressures

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, I'm not going to "see the light", because every time someone brings up Tavares it's in the context of "...and that's why you have to trade him now because otherwise y'all are ****ed", and that simply isn't true here. Or at least, not true to the extent that it was for the Islanders. The Jackets without Panarin and even without Bobrovsky are still a significantly better team than the Islanders without Tavares.

Reactions: ElLeetch

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
No, I'm not going to "see the light", because every time someone brings up Tavares it's in the context of "...and that's why you have to trade him now because otherwise y'all are ****ed", and that simply isn't true here. Or at least, not true to the extent that it was for the Islanders. The Jackets without Panarin and even without Bobrovsky are still a significantly better team than the Islanders without Tavares.
you still miss the point, it has nothing to do with how good a team is. nothing. it has to do with players realizing they control their own destiny.

loon at kevin durant, hes on the Warriors the best team in all sports winning percentage wise, and winning titles, he's not even a free agent yet and yet he's still encouraging thee talk about next summer to maximise his payday

but i will tell you this,if there is one team that will deserve this its Columbus, because you refuse to accept that it has nothing to do with your team or city. It has everything to do with a sift in player attitudes

you want to pretend yore immune go right ahead but the when and if it happens its on you. it started right there in ohio with Lebron

you keep looking at the Islanders, what d they have to do with it? theyre rebuilding, id still take our history over yours. 4 is still greater than 0. win a cu first before you claim how good you are. youve won nothing and losing Panarin and Bobrovsky isnt gonna help.

Islanders fans trusted Tavares Words, we'rectually doing you a favor, trying to show you that times are changing, but you dot have to listen

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
you still miss the point, it has nothing to do with how good a team is. nothing. it has to do with players realizing they control their own destiny.

loon at kevin durant, hes on the Warriors the best team in all sports winning percentage wise, and winning titles, he's not even a free agent yet and yet he's still encouraging thee talk about next summer to maximise his payday

but i will tell you this,if there is one team that will deserve this its Columbus, because you refuse to accept that it has nothing to do with your team or city. It has everything to do with a sift in player attitudes

you want to pretend yore immune go right ahead but the when and if it happens its on you. it started right there in ohio with Lebron

you keep looking at the Islanders, what d they have to do with it? theyre rebuilding, id still take our history over yours. 4 is still greater than 0. win a cu first before you claim how good you are. youve won nothing and losing Panarin and Bobrovsky isnt gonna help.

Islanders fans trusted Tavares Words, we'rectually doing you a favor, trying to show you that times are changing, but you dot have to listen

The Jackets have to get something back that is more valuable than the increased odds Panarin gives them in the playoffs this year. Otherwise they're actually better off keeping Panarin for the year even if he walks at the end.

Folks think because he's probably leaving means he's valueless. So I don't know how you value one year of Panarin on a playoff team, but for me it's far more than most of the offers I see for him.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The Jackets have to get something back that is more valuable than the increased odds Panarin gives them in the playoffs this year. Otherwise they're actually better off keeping Panarin for the year even if he walks at the end.

Folks think because he's probably leaving means he's valueless. So I don't know how you value one year of Panarin on a playoff team, but for me it's far more than most of the offers I see for him.

I have no problem with that whatsoever. I fact i agree with it. I see Columbus as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, so if you have a real chance to win, and you do, why not go for it. My only Point with Viqsi, is that this is not a shot at the Blue Jackets or the City of Columbus, because that has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with a shift in player Attitudes. t used to be that players took pride in the sweater they wore, they represented something and a player like Cal Ripken a Robin Yount a Joe Mauer, Kobe Bryant, Walter Payton, and they would rather retire than leave. It felt wrong to see a Joe Namath end his career as an L.A. Ram or Brett Favre as a NY Jet.

For along time Hockey was immune to these changes in society, Hockey Players were the last bastion of Loyalty in sports. once again it has nothing to do with Columbus or the Blue Jackets, it has everything to do with how players Attitudes in all sports have changed

Im not saying you should trade Panarin or Bobrovsky, Im just saying that, they're gonna do what their gonna do no matter what you decide, and that you should factor that in to your decision. As Islander fans we believed what Tavares preached for 9 years and in the end t made the final result that much more difficult for us to deal with. thats all im saying, We really are trying to do you a favor.

so if you keep them, GREAT!!! go and win that cup. but do it knowing emotionally that they REALLY could walk and that it will be extremely hard on the fanbase if it happens, As Dorothy said to Toto this isnt Kansas anymore

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And? I'm not talking about the odds of retaining him. I'm talking about whether or not we should be trading him before he "breaks our hearts". His probable departure is not the debilitating doom folks want to assume.

Reactions: CBJFan827

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's simple enough.
The guys are close enough to exit territory.
They control the situation, not the club.
They want out, for whatever reason, don't think it has anything to do with Columbus itself.

You either keep players for what production they can offer and do not restock, or you take what you can get as a rental at the market rate, take a hit now, but hopefully something there for tomorrow.

Who if anyone has excess prospects or picks AND looks like they make the playoffs?
That is where you start to look.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's simple enough.
The guys are close enough to exit territory.
They control the situation, not the club.
They want out, for whatever reason, don't think it has anything to do with Columbus itself.

You either keep players for what production they can offer and do not restock, or you take what you can get as a rental at the market rate, take a hit now, but hopefully something there for tomorrow.

Who if anyone has excess prospects or picks AND looks like they make the playoffs?
That is where you start to look.

The BlueJackets. Already one of the top 2 or 3 U-25 groups in the league. They don't need more picks, they need to try to win now.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I have no problem with that whatsoever. I fact i agree with it. I see Columbus as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, so if you have a real chance to win, and you do, why not go for it. My only Point with Viqsi, is that this is not a shot at the Blue Jackets or the City of Columbus, because that has nothing to do with it.

It has everything to do with a shift in player Attitudes. t used to be that players took pride in the sweater they wore, they represented something and a player like Cal Ripken a Robin Yount a Joe Mauer, Kobe Bryant, Walter Payton, and they would rather retire than leave. It felt wrong to see a Joe Namath end his career as an L.A. Ram or Brett Favre as a NY Jet.

For along time Hockey was immune to these changes in society, Hockey Players were the last bastion of Loyalty in sports. once again it has nothing to do with Columbus or the Blue Jackets, it has everything to do with how players Attitudes in all sports have changed

Im not saying you should trade Panarin or Bobrovsky, Im just saying that, they're gonna do what their gonna do no matter what you decide, and that you should factor that in to your decision. As Islander fans we believed what Tavares preached for 9 years and in the end t made the final result that much more difficult for us to deal with. thats all im saying, We really are trying to do you a favor.

so if you keep them, GREAT!!! go and win that cup. but do it knowing emotionally that they REALLY could walk and that it will be extremely hard on the fanbase if it happens, As Dorothy said to Toto this isnt Kansas anymore

What a bunch of condescending nonsense. You don't think Jackets fans have factored in that Panarin is very unlikely to stay? Maybe they know their own situation better than you do.

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJFan827

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
What a bunch of condescending nonsense. You don't think Jackets fans have factored in that Panarin is very unlikely to stay? Maybe they know their own situation better than you do.
its not condescending at all, its obvious that some of you are very sensitive to being in a smaller market. Im just pointing out that the sports landscape has changed.

I am neither for nor against you making trades with eiher Panarin or Bbrovsky. Im just saying that as the Islanders learned last year, that you cant assume that a player will be forthcoming about their intentions. thats all.

we learned it the hard way. Im just saying you dont have to. if as you say youve already factored in that they are leaving, then youre better off than we were, because Tavares was aying "he wanted to be an Islander" until the very end and we did offer him more than he signed for in Toronto.

giving you te benefit of our experience s not being Condescending, its giving you another perspective. we thought after 9 years that we knew out captain, he had said I want to be an Islander literally thousands of times. he talked of being on one team for his entire career just like his uncle, incessantly. So yes we thought we knew John too.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
its not condescending at all, its obvious that some of you are very sensitive to being in a smaller market. Im just pointing out that the sports landscape has changed.

I am neither for nor against you making trades with eiher Panarin or Bbrovsky. Im just saying that as the Islanders learned last year, that you cant assume that a player will be forthcoming about their intentions. thats all.

we learned it the hard way. Im just saying you dont have to. if as you say youve already factored in that they are leaving, then youre better off than we were, because Tavares was aying "he wanted to be an Islander" until the very end and we did offer him more than he signed for in Toronto.

giving you te benefit of our experience s not being Condescending, its giving you another perspective

So athletes are not loyal to their teams and sometimes want to move on. Got ya. How is this news to fans of the Blue Jackets? Two Jackets captains have requested trades, and that's just the beginning. Maybe you Isles fans could have used advice from Columbus, there's nothing shocking here for Jackets fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad