Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
To the NYR

Panarin
Wennberg

conditional 2019 2nd round pick if Panarin does NOT re-sign

To the CBJ

Zibanejad
Beleskey ( I believe He has a partial no trade clause, and would have to approve)

conditional 2019 second round pick, and 2020 3rd round pick if Panarin does re-sign

I'll give my take on it from the BlueJacket's side, and maybe let a Rangers fan or 2 give their opinion,
rather than speaking for their organization:

And yes I realize it's 2 Metro teams, but it's a chance I take if I am Jarmo for Columbus's perspective

Wennberg needs a change of scenery. Just not creating anything, for his line mates or himself.
Wennberg is very skilled, something's just not working in Columbus though.
Zibanejad is a healthy upgrade at center for CBJ.
Stenland gets called up for Columbus and gets a spot on the 2nd or 3rd line.
Beleskey goes to the 4th line
Milano is then traded. For another player or pick, or whatever....He's not getting a legitimate change with Torts

The Rangers could make out very well if they are able to court Panarin for this season and re-sign him.

Flame away

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't think we have the center depth we need to be making this deal. I am counting on Hayes being dealt rather than resigned. Zibenajad is on a good deal, and to move him for a guy who has hinted he wants to play here but doesn't have any obligation to continue is not a deal we can make.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
From a Rangers perspective do you just hold out knowing you probably have a good shot at Panarin a UFA. That being said if they can do a trade and sign I would do it.

On a side note, are the Blue Jacket's looking to trade Wennberg? I know the Islanders could be interested

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
From a Rangers perspective do you just hold out knowing you probably have a good shot at Panarin a UFA. That being said if they can do a trade and sign I would do it.

On a side note, are the Blue Jacket's looking to trade Wennberg? I know the Islanders could be interested

Panarin is on record saying He will not negotiate with ANY team now that the season has started.....would He change his mind if it was the rangers....I do not think so. He really has Columbus between a rock and a bigger f***ing rock.

I have not heard rumors of the Jackets looking to move Wennberg....but if He continues on the track He's on I could easily see that changing.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Don’t think either team does this
If Panarin wants to be a Ranger for sure he’ll sign with us in the offseason
Also, Wennberg isn’t the type of player we need, he’s a pass first guy and we have too many of those, rather keep the shoot first and better C in Mika

CBJ doesn’t do this because they can get much more with a Wennberg/Panarin package

Reactions: haveandare

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I would wait and see if he is interested in signing in NY as a free agent instead.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Don’t think either team does this
If Panarin wants to be a Ranger for sure he’ll sign with us in the offseason
Also, Wennberg isn’t the type of player we need, he’s a pass first guy and we have too many of those, rather keep the shoot first and better C in Mika

CBJ doesn’t do this because they can get much more with a Wennberg/Panarin package

This^.
Although Zib placed at 1RW is a killer combo bookend w/Kreider, and we have emerging pivot depth not in place but I am willing to anticipate that, I consider moving Zib before his NMC kicks in next year.
However that does NOT mean we are giving him away, and I see he commands more on the open market.

As to Wennberg, I agree we need more shooters, but if it was another deal and the cost was cheap enuf, I'd consider it. However, I don't see it as a fit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh great, the "throw away Wennberg because we hate him" crowd has moved to the trade mains. And I was already having a frustrating day.

This proposal is cheap garbage that makes the Jackets much, much worse - it's giving up on two of our better players in exchange for one halfway-decent older guy and an old waste of space. Absolutely no ****ing way in hell. This is an embarrassment.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
To the NYR

Panarin
Wennberg

conditional 2019 2nd round pick if Panarin does NOT re-sign

To the CBJ

Zibanejad
Beleskey ( I believe He has a partial no trade clause, and would have to approve)

conditional 2019 second round pick, and 2020 3rd round pick if Panarin does re-sign

I don;t think the Rangers move Zib and certainly not in this type of deal. I'd guess the reality is that if the Rangers are looking at Panarin, they will likely wait until the UFA period to try to sign him rather than lose assets.

But........
Sub Hayes for Zib and you have a Panarin like situation so each team has to take a chance the player re signs with them. Both UFA. The Rangers need to add ADA or Pionk to bring the value closer together, get rid of all the picks.

I'm still not sure the Rangers would do that because at this point with a rebuild, I think picks are more what they are looking at for the future.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The deal itself is horrendous for Columbus and the Rangers don't do it because they're supposedly Panarin's preferred destination. This doesn't make sense for either side. It seems like little to no actual thought was put into it.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Big UFA's going to New York.. Hopefully he doesnt have a huge year and fizzle out like the rest of them.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don;t think the Rangers move Zib and certainly not in this type of deal. I'd guess the reality is that if the Rangers are looking at Panarin, they will likely wait until the UFA period to try to sign him rather than lose assets.

But........
Sub Hayes for Zib and you have a Panarin like situation so each team has to take a chance the player re signs with them. Both UFA. The Rangers need to add ADA or Pionk to bring the value closer together, get rid of all the picks.

I'm still not sure the Rangers would do that because at this point with a rebuild, I think picks are more what they are looking at for the future.

Still trash. Panarin is one of the best players in the league, Hayes is maybe a marginal upgrade at 2C, if that. Their commonality in soon-to-be-UFA status does not bring their value closer together. Then Wennberg for Pionk+Beleskey is a huge downgrade too, negative value even. It's not like half of this deal works for the Jackets and the other half kills the deal. Both halves are ill-thought out refuse for the Jackets. I can't believe this is even talked about as if any team would make that trade.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rangers aren't trading assets for Panarin.

Nothing to see here. Wennberg is fine but no reason not to keep Zibanejad

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Id change the pick value especially since I feel beleskey as more negative value than that. but even so theres no point in the rangers trading for an ufa.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think a fair deal is Wennberg for Spooner. At least Spooner will shoot the puck and can add offense. at this point Weinberg is nothing in columbus

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Jackets get the worse players and they are supposed to be in the playoffs.
Rangers get the better players but are aiming for a high pick....okay then.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think it’s fair value, but I think the Rangers would rather wait and get him as a UFA instead of losing Zibby
Yes. I agree. It’s a reasonable deal but if Panarin doesn’t re-sign the Rangers get him for a year during a re-build and lose a key guy who’s signed. As you say, it’s fair but doesn’t make sense for the Rangers.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Of course it makes sense for Columbus to try to trade Panarin if he doesn't want to resign, but why the hell does it make sense for the Rangers to make this trade?

If I'm the Rangers Zibby is not available unless you overpay by a very large amount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad