AHL: Blueger

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
To those more familiar with him: would you describe him as fast? Would him being on the team over a guy like Grant or Wilson make the Pens a faster/better team?

Fast? No... half a step faster than Simon, but TB is a really good skater.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ugh, you know what will happen? He’ll be re-signed, Sullivan will refuse to use him over some scrub JR provides him with, he’ll eventually complain and never be forgiven. Unless they consider that interview him complaining already, then he might be traded at the TDL.
Bill Guerin gets the bums for wbs.

Sullivan can request players afaik. It's not like he blindly gets wbs players handed to him right?

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
You'd think with Sheahan being a UFA this summer the Pens would at least look to see how TB does on the 4th line.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You'd think with Sheahan being a UFA this summer the Pens would at least look to see how TB does on the 4th line.

Maybe but unless it’s for injury who are you going to scratch to play Blueger at centre for a stretch of time. We have Sheahan and Cullen as clearly better centres. You could put him on a wing but that sort of defeats the purpose and you are bringing up a guy to adjust to the NHL in a position he doesn’t normally play.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Maybe but unless it’s for injury who are you going to scratch to play Blueger at centre for a stretch of time. We have Sheahan and Cullen as clearly better centres. You could put him on a wing but that sort of defeats the purpose and you are bringing up a guy to adjust to the NHL in a position he doesn’t normally play.

They’ve had injuries and we got to see Wilson persevere and be energetic or whatever it was he was supposed to be doing. Last season they had a hobbled Rowney and no C depth. A C starting on the wing isn’t a rare occurrence and you’d at least find out if he’s totally overwhelmed by the nhl. They’re currently down Rust, Grant doesn’t do a tonne and Simon isn’t producing. Plus, they’ve had Grant at C with Sheahan on the wing somewhere in the lineup before iirc. It’s a choice at this point.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
They’ve had injuries and we got to see Wilson persevere and be energetic or whatever it was he was supposed to be doing. Last season they had a hobbled Rowney and no C depth. A C starting on the wing isn’t a rare occurrence and you’d at least find out if he’s totally overwhelmed by the nhl. They’re currently down Rust, Grant doesn’t do a tonne and Simon isn’t producing. Plus, they’ve had Grant at C with Sheahan on the wing somewhere in the lineup before iirc. It’s a choice at this point.

Wasn’t Wilson playing pretty well too? He’s also not here anymore. Grant production wise is fine for his ice time and zone starts and he’s only been on the ice for 5 ES goals against. There is definitely value in not getting scored on. He’s the 13th forward too which is fine to leave him in that spot. Simon is producing at 34 points/82. He’s slowed lately because they are trying him with Malkin who is struggling.

Everything is a choice but doesn’t mean it’s the right choice right now. Rust doesn’t seem like he’ll be out for long so waiving Grant and calling up TB for a game or two seems pointless.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wasn’t Wilson playing pretty well too? He’s also not here anymore. Grant production wise is fine for his ice time and zone starts and he’s only been on the ice for 5 ES goals against. There is definitely value in not getting scored on. He’s the 13th forward too which is fine to leave him in that spot. Simon is producing at 34 points/82. He’s slowed lately because they are trying him with Malkin who is struggling.

Everything is a choice but doesn’t mean it’s the right choice right now. Rust doesn’t seem like he’ll be out for long so waiving Grant and calling up TB for a game or two seems pointless.

Grant statistically has been pretty crazy good. Honestly, he’s the perfect 13F and I’d keep him over bringing up TB.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Next season Teddy. I would be surprise if he isn't on the Pens opening night roster in October. At the moment there isn't any real need for him up here, stay in AHL and continue to develop.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
At this current state, and this is just my humble opinion of someone that has limited viewing time of him, just throwing my penny in the jar...

Currently: 13th forward capability.

Future: 4th line center and pk stalwart. With the capacity to push to a 3C roll with a lot of developing his game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn’t count Dea out as 4C.. he’s the same age as Blueger, and maybe not as prototypical of a 4C as Blueger but he’s versatile, more experienced and being right handed is a plus.

I’d re-sign both and let them battle it out for the 4C spot. Between the two one should be capable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Next season Teddy. I would be surprise if he isn't on the Pens opening night roster in October. At the moment there isn't any real need for him up here, stay in AHL and continue to develop.

It's about seeing where he's at right now, in the NHL. Most liked what he did in camp last year and even this year, then he finally was called up last year (during a season where we really needed to see what we had in C depth) and he sat in the press box. That was it.

This year, he's been playing well and again, we had a situation where we could have had him up to play 4C, with Sheahan looking comfortable as a winger, Cullen being injured, Grant being able to play C/W as well...there was an opportunity, we got Garrett f***ing Wilson.

Garrett f***ING Wilson.

A guy that is a journeyman at best for his future, Blueger could actually have a future in the NHL with his potential, even if it's a 4C role. But I mean if you're him, why do you even bother staying another year? He's 24yrs old (25 before next season starts), to waste another year on a team that "might" give him a shot just seems stupid for a guy like him. He's been playing well from all accounts, I saw him in 5 games this year and in all he looked like a guy Sullivan would actually want to play.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think JR will either deal him at the deadline or sign him to a Simon type deal to keep the depth. It would be nice to get a look at him though. Possible he could go to the KHL if he gets a better offer no?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Blueger isn't in the NHL because he's like 8th on the Penguins depth chart for centers, I don't think you have to make it any more complicated than that. Grant, Sheahan, Cullen and Dea are all above him on the depth chart for the 4C spot, you need like 4 center injuries for Blueger to actually get into the NHL.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

When we had Cullen out, there was an opportunity because around that time, we also lost another winger as well, but the team decided to call up Wilson instead and reclaim Dea.

That was another good opportunity to call up Blueger to give him even a game or two when we had the opportunity to, they didn't. So maybe they just don't see him being a fit, which is fine, I hope Blueger moves on to another team and makes the NHL, just so I can see what he'd actually look like in the NHL during the regular season.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Possible he could go to the KHL if he gets a better offer no?
He's not your typical European player, as he has been in North America for the last 10 years, so I don't think he's too eager to get back to Europe. Still, if he did, yes, it's very likely that KHL teams would improve on his 200k AHL salary.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Blueger isn't in the NHL because he's like 8th on the Penguins depth chart for centers, I don't think you have to make it any more complicated than that. Grant, Sheahan, Cullen and Dea are all above him on the depth chart for the 4C spot, you need like 4 center injuries for Blueger to actually get into the NHL.

Except last year, where he wasn't behind that many, we literally had McKegg as an NHL center, they still refused to try him then. They even went out and traded for Josh Jooris.

I don't think Billy G really likes Blueger or someone really doesn't. He's having a fantastic season where things are aligning for him in his game and even when this team had injuries, they refused to even try him as a winger - Which of the guys you mentioned in Sheahan, Grant, Cullen, and Dea...they all have played LW/RW and C this season, so being versatile is something that is also hugely important.

But why bother trying him at all, right?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Except last year, where he wasn't behind that many, we literally had McKegg as an NHL center, they still refused to try him then. They even went out and traded for Josh Jooris.

I don't think Billy G really likes Blueger or someone really doesn't. He's having a fantastic season where things are aligning for him in his game and even when this team had injuries, they refused to even try him as a winger - Which of the guys you mentioned in Sheahan, Grant, Cullen, and Dea...they all have played LW/RW and C this season, so being versatile is something that is also hugely important.

If he's not here at the start of next season I'm going to pretty much assume this. Two of Grant, Cullen, Sheahan shouldn't be back, or one of the former two if they decide to not resign Brassard and try Sheahan at 3C. Any way you look at it, there should be a spot next year that he has every right to be given an extended look in.

Honestly never really too impressed with Dea, although he's gotten very little ice time even when he's up. Maybe one of the WBS people can comment on how they're used down there, but not sure why the one who seems less like a bottom 6 center is getting called up more.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I personally don't think Dea should be ahead of TB for what Pens should wants in a 3-4C.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Dea and Blueger can fight for the #4 spot next season while the other being the extra forward or even play wing for the time
Anyways, knowing this franchise I'm sure they will both play as there is always injured players to replace...

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
fqitbzxpxqghtdbjljvn.jpg

"Blueger? Blueger?"

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

That's my exact complaint with Sprong and it seems like they're making the same mistake with TB

You know the dude can play C at the AHL level, so what more is there to prove?

Try him at LW (you know the place the organization is crazy deficient) and see if that works. If it doesn't, well at least you know

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
need to sign him first. might not be easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad