AHL: Blueger

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Haha. I’m just joking. I think 60-70% of the team believes he should’ve been our first call-up.

Our local AHL Scranton fan absolutely loves TB and I think judging by the numbers and usage in the A it is hard to disagree with him.
I see. Thanks for your insight. I'm Latvian by the way (probably not hard to guess due to my broken English), and I really hope that some day Blueger will don Pens uniform.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I see. Thanks for your insight. I'm Latvian by the way (probably not hard to guess due to my broken English), and I really hope that some day Blueger will don Pens uniform.

I doubt anybody would have guessed that you're Latvian because your English isn't broken at all. You have to understand that Pittsburgh is very close to West Virginia and your English proficiency is that of a Rhodes scholar by comparison. Now, if you'd have referred to him as Teodors Bļugers, then I'd have guessed you were Latvian. =P

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
I doubt anybody would have guessed that you're Latvian because your English isn't broken at all. You have to understand that Pittsburgh is very close to West Virginia and your English proficiency is that of a Rhodes scholar by comparison. Now, if you'd have referred to him as Teodors Bļugers, then I'd have guessed you were Latvian. =P
I referred to him as Blueger because when I took translation courses I was taught to pay attention to what audience translation is intended for. Since this is a North American site, I try to use American English.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I referred to him as Blueger because when I took translation courses I was taught to pay attention to what audience translation is intended for. Since this is a North American site, I try to use American English.

I wasn't criticizing you, but your explanation makes sense. My point was merely that your English is quite good.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
I wasn't criticizing you, but your explanation makes sense. My point was merely that your English is quite good.
Yes, of course. I didn't take it that way. Thanks. I did, however, study English philology back in my hometown, but it is no secret that in order to speak the language close to native level you gotta live in English speaking environment. Anyway please allow me to ask what do you think of Blueger? Do you watch him play in the minors? I would like to catch some games, but unfortunately no channel is streaming AHL games here in Latvia. It ruffles my feathers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandinho

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Yes, of course. I didn't take it that way. Thanks. I did study English philology back in my home, but it is not a secret that in order to speak the language close to native level you gotta live in English speaking environment. Anyway please allow me to ask what do you think of Blueger? Do you watch him play in the minors? I would like to catch some games, but unfortunately no channel and/or stream of AHL games are available here in Latvia. It ruffles my feathers.

I've not watched as much as some of the others here, but I'd agree with them that he deserves a chance. A lot of our team's success was facilitated by cheap, versatile players on the bottom 2 lines. I don't see anything in Blueger's skill set that would preclude him from having a similar impact. His PPG is higher than Kuhnhackl's when he got a chance after 23 games in the AHL. The situation with Blueger strikes me as a microcosm of the team moving away from their strengths, although I'm not sure who bears the responsibility for that. At any rate, I hope Blueger gets a chance to show if he could be one of those players for us.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
I've not watched as much as some of the others here, but I'd agree with them that he deserves a chance. A lot of our team's success was facilitated by cheap, versatile players on the bottom 2 lines. I don't see anything in Blueger's skill set that would preclude him from having a similar impact. His PPG is higher than Kuhnhackl's when he got a chance after 23 games in the AHL. The situation with Blueger strikes me as a microcosm of the team moving away from their strengths, although I'm not sure who bears the responsibility for that. At any rate, I hope Blueger gets a chance to show if he could be one of those players for us.
Sometimes all you need in life is one chance. Let's hope Teddy seizes that chance with both arms.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hi guys! Just a quick question for those who have watched Blueger play in the AHL. What's your take on him? Is he good enough to be called up for a few games this season?
Doesn't play the right way.
Not enough swagger.
His career has been lower body injured day to day indefinitely.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@The Worst One your English is so much better than many of the posters here. Including me. :laugh:

As far as Blueger is concerned, I've gotta take other people's posts about him. @Mr Jiggyfly raves about him. I had moderate hopes for him when he was drafted, but since he joined an AHL team he's exceeded all of my expectations. I stat watch and it seems he was dedicated to improving his goal scoring and he absolutely improved upon that. His first season was respectable, but didn't have many goals. And then it was made know to him that he needs to shoot/score more and he did. It seems that he should have received a promotion this season based on his stats and performance, but he hasn't yet.

This has... irked, or offended a few posters on HFBoards. I do think he's going to get his NHL chance soon.

If not... that's shitty of them.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I caught some of the game today and I thought he was the best player on the ice. There's no reason why he shouldn't get some NHL games.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Now, if you'd have referred to him as Teodors Bļugers, then I'd have guessed you were Latvian. =P

Question, why has he anglicized his name? There's plenty of much more obscure and difficult to pronounce names that he really didn't need to, eh?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Question, why has he anglicized his name? There's plenty of much more obscure and difficult to pronounce names that he really didn't need to, eh?

The s in Latvian names is just because that's how they signify masculine nouns. I've seen a lot of people anglicize their names by simply dropping the s. As for why he chose to go by Teddy Blueger, perhaps he felt like it'd help him fit in considering he came to America at 15 IIRC. Maybe he just really hates when people mispronounce his name. I'd say that my surname is even easier to pronounce than his, yet I can count the number of people on one hand who have gotten it right without me telling them. I actually have a distinct memory of a hostess at Eat n' Park who pronounced it properly when I was like 12 and it blew my mind.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sounds plausible.

If he's good enough, we would all learn how it's supposed to be anyway!
#Toews

Lol!

Reactions: Brandinho

GX

Dec 28, 2011
I guess, he's following the footsteps laid by a few fellow Latvian NHLers - Ozolinsh (Ozoliņš), Zholtok (Žoltoks), Astashenko (Astašenko), Kerch (Kerčs) and Panteleev (Panteļejevs). Most of them entereted NHL in early 1990ies, though - young players don't really adjust their names anymore.

Reactions: EightyOne

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
To those more familiar with him: would you describe him as fast? Would him being on the team over a guy like Grant or Wilson make the Pens a faster/better team?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I caught some of the game today and I thought he was the best player on the ice. There's no reason why he shouldn't get some NHL games.
I feel like he and the Pens will mutually part ways because he won't want to be back. He should have had a call up last year when we were masquerading McKegg as an nhler.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I feel like he and the Pens will mutually part ways because he won't want to be back. He should have had a call up last year when we were masquerading McKegg as an nhler.

Ugh, you know what will happen? He’ll be re-signed, Sullivan will refuse to use him over some scrub JR provides him with, he’ll eventually complain and never be forgiven. Unless they consider that interview him complaining already, then he might be traded at the TDL.

Reactions: TheTang58

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad