OT: Blue Jays Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The power is still clearly there, he has 5 HRs only a handful of SS can say that, hes in a funk but he can only improve from here

yes, sort of. the power is there. But we are going on almost two years with out real power. I would love to see the Tulo of old, guy was MVP caliber

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If the Jays can find any kind of offensive consistency, they will start to win games in bunches.

This pitch staff is really giving them a chance to win every night (for the most part)

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Tulo's power is still legit.

His issue is his eye. This is a guy whose BB rate was near his K rate every season. His BB rate has plummeted and his K rate has shot up.

I don't have much hope for a turnaround. But man, this game can leave you in an instant. Look at Matt Harvey. 5 months ago he was dominating the Royals and about to force a Game 6 with a complete game shutout. Now he looks like one of the worst pitchers in the game.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If the Jays can find any kind of offensive consistency, they will start to win games in bunches.

This pitch staff is really giving them a chance to win every night (for the most part)

Which is odd given that they had tons of offense last year and the questions were around pitching.

I suspect the Jays have a real chance to repeat as AL East champs. The Yanks and Rays are non-factors. Losing Sandoval hurts the Sox pretty big.

With the bats this team has a 12-3 sort of run isn't out of the question. Hopefully they pull one of those off before Canada Day.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Which is odd given that they had tons of offense last year and the questions were around pitching.

I suspect the Jays have a real chance to repeat as AL East champs. The Yanks and Rays are non-factors. Losing Sandoval hurts the Sox pretty big.

With the bats this team has a 12-3 sort of run isn't out of the question. Hopefully they pull one of those off before Canada Day.

That's my guess too, it's more likely the rest of the lineup figures out how to get the bat on the ball, even if the pitch comes back to earth a bit.

And, not to be understated, the Defense on this team (with mistakes at Catcher not withstanding) is excellent and helps that pitching staff quite a bit.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

His issue is his eye. This is a guy whose BB rate was near his K rate every season. His BB rate has plummeted and his K rate has shot up.

I don't have much hope for a turnaround. But man, this game can leave you in an instant. Look at Matt Harvey. 5 months ago he was dominating the Royals and about to force a Game 6 with a complete game shutout. Now he looks like one of the worst pitchers in the game.

This is very true. Good point as well. I couldn't help but think his issues were to due with injuries. But your right, it almost seems to be his eyes, just cna't see pitches like he use to.

Unfortunately for the Jays it is starting to look like they took on a bad bloated contract. Really hope he proves me wrong.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

Tulo is struggling, name 1 ball player that hasn't. 10+ years in the league, career .300 hitter and gold glove SS...yah i'm sure he's done. Prepare to dine on crow this season.:D

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
This is very true. Good point as well. I couldn't help but think his issues were to due with injuries. But your right, it almost seems to be his eyes, just cna't see pitches like he use to.

Unfortunately for the Jays it is starting to look like they took on a bad bloated contract. Really hope he proves me wrong.
:laugh:They escaped an even worse contract in Reyes, who couldn't stay healthy for 2 weeks at a time.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Throw money on the Jays tonight, they will clear -1.5

Once in a while the boys come out to bat, tonights one of those occasions.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Tulo is struggling, name 1 ball player that hasn't. 10+ years in the league, career .300 hitter and gold glove SS...yah i'm sure he's done. Prepare to dine on crow this season.:D

$20Million for a .167 BA is a bit much. Far below his .239 career average with the Jays coming into the season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
$20Million for a .167 BA is a bit much. Far below his .239 career average with the Jays coming into the season.

Yeah, he needs to pick it up offensively, but I still have some faith he can find his swing.

Atleast his defense is still outstanding. That was an issue with Reyes.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I see some things with the eye test that suggest Tulo will improve.

I think him messing around with the leg kick in spring training has hurt him a lot. It's funny, because he was actually good in the spring, but then he struggled early on against better pitching. And then he abandoned the leg kick and went back to his traditional timing mechanism.

And right now, his timing is still not right. But I have seen his eye improve over the last couple weeks IMO.

He has swung through fastballs down the middle and has fouled quite a few straight back. Perhaps he could be looking for other pitches too.

I haven't seen him swing and miss at many bad pitches lately like he had been doing early in the year.

I think he will start to square some of these hittable pitches he has been missing soon.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Let's hope they tee off on Lewis tonight.

3+ home runs for the team tonight.

A few guys in the lineup have some stellar numbers against Lewis.

But really this team needs to find ways of scoring runs and winning games without solely relying on the long-ball. I love homerun dont get me wrong, but there's extra satisfaction I get in seeing a patient line-up draw walks, advance runners, and cash in 2-out RBIs

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think this whole "manufacturing runs" is a made up thing that people use when things are not going right with the team though.

Every team in the league would trade their offense for the Jays offense of 2015. It's not their fault they hit a lot of home runs. That's the easiest way to score runs.

It's the equivalent to "hockey IQ". All these players have high hockey IQ in juniors when they are dominating except for some obvious exceptions. And then if struggle in the NHL they say he has low IQ.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I think this whole "manufacturing runs" is a made up thing that people use when things are not going right with the team though.

Every team in the league would trade their offense for the Jays offense of 2015. It's not their fault they hit a lot of home runs. That's the easiest way to score runs.

It's the equivalent to "hockey IQ". All these players have high hockey IQ in juniors when they are dominating except for some obvious exceptions. And then if struggle in the NHL they say he has low IQ.

Of course you'd love your team to consistently hit a whack load of homeruns and coast through easy victories. But when the team isn't hitting those homeruns, there's nothing else to rely on. Then you're a losing team under .500 wasting quality starts from your rotation.

Hockey IQ is the most intangible metric in the sports world. Not supported by real stats. Yes, made up IMO too.

You know what's not made up? 2 out RBIs, RISP, bunting and advancing runners, BB:K, OBP Those are all stats that have been measured since the stone age of baseball. They're real, even if you decide to ignore them

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Of course you'd love your team to consistently hit a whack load of homeruns and coast through easy victories. But when the team isn't hitting those homeruns, there's nothing else to rely on. Then you're a losing team under .500 wasting quality starts from your rotation.

Hockey IQ is the most intangible metric in the sports world. Not supported by real stats. Yes, made up IMO too.

You know what's not made up? 2 out RBIs, RISP, bunting and advancing runners, BB:K, OBP Those are all stats that have been measured since the stone age of baseball. They're real, even if you decide to ignore them

I agree with all of these metrics. But they further prove my point.

The 2015 Jays were elite in basically all of those categories except bunting, because that **** is pointless.

Take away every teams home runs last year. Do you know who scored the most runs? Jays.

Most home runs? Jays.

Most doubles? Jays.

Highest OBP? Jays.

Jays were 7th best in K/9 last year.

Jays drew the most walks in MLB last year.

Run differential? Jays.

Most sacrifice flys? Jays (Edwin, Joey and JD all top 15 in the league, no other team had more than 1 guy in the top 15 if I remember right...would need to double check this though).

Total bases in the year? Jays.

Slugging? Of course, Jays.

Isolated Power? Jays (**** singles, :laugh:)

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
No doubt, offense is struggling right now. It's the reason they are losing games minus a few bullpen issues earlier in the year.

But this offense last year was superior all across the board to every other team last year.

This team is never gonna be "get a single, bunt him over, hit an RBI single and win a 2-1 game" kinda team.

So you live and die with the all out offense.

Let's just pray last year can be repeated.

I'm not worried about JD, Joey or Edwin. EE will heat up soon IMO.

I am worried about Tulo and Martin right now though.

Quite pleased with Pillar and Saunders.

Need some Travis back too.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

It's hard to think back to that series against the Royals last fall and think that "manufactured runs" is a made up thing. That's exactly what they were doing to the Jays. All those consecutive singles they hit to cash in runners. Runners moved into scoring position with bunts. Meanwhile, Jays kept stranding runners on base with long fly outs as balls kept dying in the closed roof atmosphere of Rogers Center or the cold fall air in Kansas City. This team needs to diversify its offense somehow.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
A grand total of 67 or so games...small sample size, no?

Small sample size I guess but he hasn't played anywhere near a $20M player and they are into him through 2020.

Batting average is down to .160 on the season now. Almost 20% of the season gone. Even if he were batting a mere .250, which is still 46 points below his career average coming into this season, this team is probably a couple/3 games above .500.

Thankfully the Jays pulled it off tonight. Happ versus Holland tomorrow night. Good matchup. If the Jays can win it will be their first series win against a team above .500. And we are in May.

Team went 2 for 4 with RISP tonight. Great to see them improve on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad