OT: Blue Jays Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I thought you meant 4 games back to back in one day. There's no reason to have afternoon playoff games. Just play two games at the same time like other sports do

You're wrong on this.

The NFL doesn't schedule playoff games at the same time. Granted all their playoff games are on the weekend but they're staggered to maximize TV revenue.

The NBA doesn't do it either. In the first round they stagger three and four games through out the day, also to maximize TV revenue. During the week, the games are at night but teams will play every third or fourth day just to avoid having to schedule games at the same time. You can't do that with baseball. It would take too long to play a series. They could run into weather problems if the playoffs stretched deep into November.

The NHL is the only league that schedules the games at the same time but even that has changed over the years. Two games played at the same time is the max now. Back in the eighties, when the best of five series were played, all 8 series would start on the same night. To me, that was the most exciting night of the year. I loved watching the scores from all those series start to roll in at the same time. It's not the same anymore. But again, it's all about TV money.

Getting back to baseball, it's been this way as long as I can remember. I can remember coming home from school and catching the end of playoff games back in the seventies. I can even remember listening to Monday hitting that home run in game 5 against the Expos on the radio at school. It sucks that the Jays play two afternoon games in this series. Like I said earlier in the thread though, I expected it. Somebody has to play these afternoon games and Canadian fans are likely the lowest priority for MLB and Fox.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You're wrong on this.

The NFL doesn't schedule playoff games at the same time. Granted all their playoff games are on the weekend but they're staggered to maximize TV revenue.

The NBA doesn't do it either. In the first round they stagger three and four games through out the day, also to maximize TV revenue. During the week, the games are at night but teams will play every third or fourth day just to avoid having to schedule games at the same time. You can't do that with baseball. It would take too long to play a series. They could run into weather problems if the playoffs stretched deep into November.

The NHL is the only league that schedules the games at the same time but even that has changed over the years. Two games played at the same time is the max now. Back in the eighties, when the best of five series were played, all 8 series would start on the same night. To me, that was the most exciting night of the year. I loved watching the scores from all those series start to roll in at the same time. It's not the same anymore. But again, it's all about TV money.

Getting back to baseball, it's been this way as long as I can remember. I can remember coming home from school and catching the end of playoff games back in the seventies. I can even remember listening to Monday hitting that home run in game 5 against the Expos on the radio at school. It sucks that the Jays play two afternoon games in this series. Like I said earlier in the thread though, I expected it. Somebody has to play these afternoon games and Canadian fans are likely the lowest priority for MLB and Fox.
I don't get why you have to highlight max 2 games for the NHL, that's all the MLB would have to do.

NFL has it quite different though as they have less teams and don't need to schedule games at the same time as there is enough time on th weekend.

And you are wrong on the NBA unless they are weekend games

http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150422/

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't get why you have to highlight max 2 games for the NHL, that's all the MLB would have to do.

NFL has it quite different though as they have less teams and don't need to schedule games at the same time as there is enough time on th weekend.

And you are wrong on the NBA unless they are weekend games

http://www.nba.com/gameline/20150422/
Appears I was wrong with the NBA. I remember best of 5 series lasting two weeks because games were spaced out so much. Without checking, I assumed it was done to avoid scheduling games at the same time. My bad, thanks for straightening me out.:blush:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You're wrong on this.

I generally agree with you here but the NBA does have playoff games at the same time. It's done quite frequently in the 1st round. They use NBA TV for the less popular game while the main game is on TNT kind of like the NHL with a game on MSNBC while the main game is on NBCSN for U.S. viewers at least.

Also, I think the Jays game being during the day is perfect for Oiler fans. You can watch the Jays game during the day and watch the Oilers game at night. Don't have to switch back and forth. I'm going to stream the Jays game at work then watch it on my phone on the way home.

Oiler Crude

3rd rate fan
Feb 11, 2007
Does anybody know if an Edmonton radio station is going to carry the Jay's game? Thx in advance!

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
You're wrong on this.

The other thing about baseball is if you had a series with a game every second day it would create an unfair situation for a team with an unbeatable ace pitcher. If Chicago could trot out Arrieta three times in a best-of-five series, it would be lights out for St. Louis.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The other thing about baseball is if you had a series with a game every second day it would create an unfair situation for a team with an unbeatable ace pitcher. If Chicago could trot out Arrieta three times in a best-of-five series, it would be lights out for St. Louis.

Ya, thats baseball, part of the game. You can't spread games out. It is why I love the baseball playoffs. By far the best in sports, short and sweet.

Day games do suck though. But it is really is just for the first round.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

For the record I wasn't suggesting spreading them out. I was suggesting playing them at times where people can actually watch the game if they are a fan of the team.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Price not sharp at all early. Two walks, a hit batter and 47 pitches to get through the third inning. He looks rusty like a guy on 11 days rest. Just what I was afraid about. 2-0 Texas and the Jays haven't had a base runner through 3 innings. Hope things start to improve. Good news is that Beltre got hurt and he's out now.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Price not sharp at all early. Two walks, a hit batter and 47 pitches to get through the third inning. He looks rusty like a guy on 11 days rest. Just what I was afraid about. 2-0 Texas and the Jays haven't had a base runner through 3 innings. Hope things start to improve. Good news is that Beltre got hurt and he's out now.

Still hate the 11 days rest. Any way, just got to get back in this one. Beltre is clearly hurt.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Price is having a terrible game.

Gibbons with another questionable managerial call. Price is super competitive and he's the type of guy where the bigger the work load the better he is. Sitting him out for almost two weeks was such a mistake hopefully the bats come alive and win this one.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Here's something to cheer up you BJ fans.

@TSNResearch: In the playoffs Price is 0-3 vs Texas, 4.66 ERA

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Price is having a terrible game.

Gibbons with another questionable managerial call. Price is super competitive and he's the type of guy where the bigger the work load the better he is. Sitting him out for almost two weeks was such a mistake hopefully the bats come alive and win this one.

Just can't get over this one. They said it was the first time a pitcher pitched game 1 of the playoffs on 11 days rest since 1930 something. Wonder why? It just isn't what you want to do. you get to strong, it just throws your mechanics off. Hitting two batters just proves it to me.

Any way, lets just win this one and pray Donaldson is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad