OT: Blue Jays Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The Jays went 6-4 in their last 10 games with 3 of the losses with basically their back-ups filling the line-up. Texas went 5-5 in their last ten while playing their best. It's not like the Rangers are on some magical role the last few weeks and the Jays have been slumping.

A short series is always a question mark. It's baseball. Unpredictable things happen. But I think a lot of the worry is unfounded. To win it all you have to beat good teams.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Would sure be interesting if the Jays made it all the way to the American League championship and had to play game 7 in KC.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Would sure be interesting if the Jays made it all the way to the American League championship and had to play game 7 in KC.

It would indeed.

The Jays match up well against the Royals. A Jays-Royals ALCS would be great to watch.

This post-season is all about David Price. If he can toss some magic the Jays have a legit chance at winning the World Series.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I can't beleive it myself. I thought it was a joke.

Afternoon games on weekdays? :help:
They've been doing this forever. First round of the playoffs typically have 3 games each day,
occasionally four. The game times are staggered so they aren't on at the same time. It sucks that the Jays were given the start times they were but it shouldn't be a surprise considering they are a Canadian team and likely the smallest priority of MLB.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
They've been doing this forever. First round of the playoffs typically have 3 games each day,
occasionally four. The game times are staggered so they aren't on at the same time. It sucks that the Jays were given the start times they were but it shouldn't be a surprise considering they are a Canadian team and likely the smallest priority of MLB.

Yep - certainly one way you can tell people just got on the bandwagon.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It would indeed.

The Jays match up well against the Royals. A Jays-Royals ALCS would be great to watch.

This post-season is all about David Price. If he can toss some magic the Jays have a legit chance at winning the World Series.

Agree about Price. He has always been lights out in the regular season, but he needs to create some new playoff magic for himself and his current team. Has not been able to replicate the RS success in the post season yet.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Gibbons starting Buerle on 1 day rest blew up in their faces

ouch

bye bye home-field throughout the postseason
If the Jays hadn't made two rec-league errors at the beginning of the first they would have been out of that inning easily and Buehrle probably would have gotten his two innings in. I feel bad for the guy because he deserved it, and it really sucks that he's off the roster now in what could be his final season. He's a total pro about it, but it has to be eating him up right now just the same.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Where the Jays blew it is not so much with the home field but having to play Texas instead of the Yankees or Astros.
The Rangers are playing as well as anybody in the American League, have a legit ace to deal with and a lineup that can mash with the Jays. It's a toss up series IMO whereas the Jays would have been a heavy favorite against the Yanks or Astros.

Gibbons screwed up by playing the AAA lineup in the last game of the Baltimore series. There was no reason why he had to rest the entire lineup in that game.
I hear ya, but I don't think the reward for finally beating the Yankees in the regular season should be playing the Yankees in the first round. And Tanaka shuts the Jays down better than Gallardo does so I'm glad they don't have to line up against him in their first playoff game. If Tanaka managed to beat them again in game 1 then they would have to win 3/4 games with two of those being in NYC.

From ESPN Gallardo/Tanaka batter vs pitcher stats it has the Jays hitting .189 in 134 ab's vs Tanaka and .239 in 159 ab's vs Gallardo. That's a .050 adv to bat against Gallardo. Almost 2 extra hits/game.

IMO this works out well because they get to play someone besides NY in the first round, and if they have to play NY in the 2nd round then that means KC is out and the Jays have home field adv anyways.

There are 3 possible outcomes in these playoffs, #1 being the best and #3 being the worst:
Jays win the WS
Jays get knocked out by someone besides the Yankees
Jays get knocked out by the Yankees

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
There are 3 possible outcomes in these playoffs, #1 being the best and #3 being the worst:
Jays win the WS
Jays get knocked out by someone besides the Yankees
Jays get knocked out by the Yankees

Thankfully the Astros are just about to take #3 off the table.

I do enjoy the production value on the ESPN broadcasts. Very well done.

McCann ends the season with a ground out. Excellent!

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Good for Houston, the Yanks were such a old team that didn't have much to cheer for. All the interviews with Kuechel talking about how he felt good on 3 days rest, and would rather pitch on 3 days rest than 7. Keeps haunting me with Prcie, why has the guy not pitched in so long?

Oh well, we will see soon enough.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Thankfully the Astros are just about to take #3 off the table.

I do enjoy the production value on the ESPN broadcasts. Very well done.

McCann ends the season with a ground out. Excellent!
I thought the broadcast tonight was very good. By the end of the game Jessica Mendoza had won me over as a color commentator. She was very knowledgeable and fit right in. In her very first game she proved herself to be a professional. What's taking Stauffer so long?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nice to see the Yankees out of the playoffs, and I can't wait for the Jays to hit the field. I feel so good about this team, they do everything as good or better then every other AL team.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Good for Houston, the Yanks were such a old team that didn't have much to cheer for. All the interviews with Kuechel talking about how he felt good on 3 days rest, and would rather pitch on 3 days rest than 7. Keeps haunting me with Prcie, why has the guy not pitched in so long?

Oh well, we will see soon enough.

I really don't think it is a big deal.

Gibbons job as manager includes making these decisions based on his evaluation of what's best for the personnel he has to work with.

Price threw a simulated game on the side. Guess that means he wasn't hurt. Price will be asked to do a lot in the playoffs. A few extra days rest for the team's ace seems like a great way to get ready for the playoffs.

Price is a veteran. He has a lot of playoff experience. He will be ok with the extra time off. Not sure how else they could have lined him up to pitch the first game of the ALDS.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I really don't think it is a big deal.

Gibbons job as manager includes making these decisions based on his evaluation of what's best for the personnel he has to work with.

Price threw a simulated game on the side. Guess that means he wasn't hurt. Price will be asked to do a lot in the playoffs. A few extra days rest for the team's ace seems like a great way to get ready for the playoffs.

Price is a veteran. He has a lot of playoff experience. He will be ok with the extra time off. Not sure how else they could have lined him up to pitch the first game of the ALDS.

Any athlete, any sport a player would always go for rest, the guys who don't are your physical anomalies can handle it, but there the exception I know Bochy had Baumgartner cause he could handle it, Bo Jackson was another, but most if not 99% fall in the category that they can't do it.

I mean think of it in hockey how many d-man realistically can play 30 minutes a night consistently - maybe 5-8 d-man in the whole league (i'm talking high level playoff level - not breaking down mentally)

Pitching never gets the attention of how mental it is. You have to be able to prepare and so when I hear days off I'm thinking mental preparation and awareness of how to approach batters.

BTW I am so glad KC got Houston. I thought all along Texas or Anaheim would be better matchups.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Yep - certainly one way you can tell people just got on the bandwagon.

Rofl I love elitist internet fans.

You sir deserve a trophy and a pat on the back. For always beleiving.. sticking through the bad times. :help:

I don't give two ***** about the Jays when they lose. I'll watch them when they win.
Well.. I guess I won't watch them when they win actually.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Rofl I love elitist internet fans.

You sir deserve a trophy and a pat on the back. For always beleiving.. sticking through the bad times. :help:

I don't give two ***** about the Jays when they lose. I'll watch them when they win.
Well.. I guess I won't watch them when they win actually.

You better order a bunch more of those trophies for all of us Oiler and Eskimo fans who have stuck through some pretty lengthy crappy times as well.:laugh:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The Jays went 6-4 in their last 10 games with 3 of the losses with basically their back-ups filling the line-up. Texas went 5-5 in their last ten while playing their best. It's not like the Rangers are on some magical role the last few weeks and the Jays have been slumping.

A short series is always a question mark. It's baseball. Unpredictable things happen. But I think a lot of the worry is unfounded. To win it all you have to beat good teams.

It'll all depends what team shows up. Alot of me is expecting that they will struggle and squeeze their bats tight, but man, I sure hope not and that they play their game the way we all know they're capable of. If they do, they will make it to the WS. If not, it's game over.

Bastulon

Jul 11, 2014
Canada
It'll all depends what team shows up. Alot of me is expecting that they will struggle and squeeze their bats tight, but man, I sure hope not and that they play their game the way we all know they're capable of. If they do, they will make it to the WS. If not, it's game over.

Mhmm I don't even want to think about what happens if the Jays can't hit on Gallardo.

People say "but the pitching will step up!" yeah, not when the confidence of being able to give up 6 runs and not worry because of the bat's goes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
1:30 game? What a stupid time for a playoff game. Probably why they wonder why Baseball loses popularity.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
1:30 game? What a stupid time for a playoff game. Probably why they wonder why Baseball loses popularity.

They've had wild card round day games for years so I doubt this is the reason why baseball has lost some popularity.

The game tomorrow is even earlier but that's what happens when you have a quadrupleheader of games.

I'm actually glad that the game is early so it doesn't conflict with the Oilers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They've had wild card round day games for years so I doubt this is the reason why baseball has lost some popularity.

The game tomorrow is even earlier but that's what happens when you have a quadrupleheader of games.

I'm actually glad that the game is early so it doesn't conflict with the Oilers.

And why do they have to do quadrupleheader games? Other sports have more than one game on at a time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And why do they have to do quadrupleheader games? Other sports have more than one game on at a time.

Because of the 1 game playoff, it throws off the entire schedule so you can't just have 2 series one day then 2 series the next.

For instance, the Astros-Royals start today because they wanted to space one day between the American League 1 game playoff from Tuesday and the start of the ALDS.

Same with Cubs-Cardinals starting tomorrow and it's not like hockey where there is one day breaks between Game 1 and Game 2 so Toronto-Texas and Houston-KC Game 2's are added to the National League Game 1's tomorrow. The one day breaks come on travel days.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Because of the 1 game playoff, it throws off the entire schedule so you can't just have 2 series one day then 2 series the next.

For instance, the Astros-Royals start today because they wanted to space one day between the American League 1 game playoff from Tuesday and the start of the ALDS.

Same with Cubs-Cardinals starting tomorrow and it's not like hockey where there is one day breaks between Game 1 and Game 2 so Toronto-Texas and Houston-KC Game 2's are added to the National League Game 1's tomorrow. The one day breaks come on travel days.

I thought you meant 4 games back to back in one day. There's no reason to have afternoon playoff games. Just play two games at the same time like other sports do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad