OT: Blue Jays / MLB Thread 2022

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The lack of any signings of an outfielder or a pitcher makes the Hernandez trade all the more baffling.

Guess Atkins was wayyyyy too confident thinking he could sway a FA. Now he's absolutely backed into a corner which is worse than initially imagined since the Cardinals scooped up Contreras yesterday taking them out of potential trade partners.

It's almost guaranteed the Jays will either have to overpay one of the remaining free agents or overpay in a trade.
I said it at the time, I’ll keep saying it. The Hernandez trade was made in an attempt to stop the childish crap going on at the end of the dugout. It wasn’t first and foremost a baseball trade or necessarily to free up money for a big signing.

I think the hiring of Don Mattingly as bench coach is another sign that stuff won’t be tolerated anymore and that’s what Atkins main focus was this off-season.

Reactions: brentashton

Cagey B

Jul 21, 2021
I said it at the time, I’ll keep saying it. The Hernandez trade was made in an attempt to stop the childish crap going on at the end of the dugout. It wasn’t first and foremost a baseball trade or necessarily to free up money for a big signing.

I think the hiring of Don Mattingly as bench coach is another sign that stuff won’t be tolerated anymore and that’s what Atkins main focus was this off-season.
I agree 100% to this. I myself found it annoying all the childish stuff going on. You guys are playing ball to try to win the World Series not have a joyous fun playtime in the dugout like you're in little league

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think the implosion of Ryu really messed up the Jays pitching plans last year.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don’t mind Bassitt, the more I’ve thought about it.

Manoah
Gausman
Bassitt
Berrios
Ryu/whoever else

Isn’t a terrible starting rotation by any means. Bassitt’s career numbers are very similar to Gausman.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Berrios overrated too. This Jays team became underwhelming in a hurry
He's been remarkably consistent until last year. He's probably a better bet to bounce back than to have th etype of year he had last year. Even a modest return gives you a very good 4th arm in the rotation and by today's standards, he's cheap.

Reactions: lakai17

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He's been remarkably consistent until last year. He's probably a better bet to bounce back than to have th etype of year he had last year. Even a modest return gives you a very good 4th arm in the rotation and by today's standards, he's cheap.

I like your optimism. I wasn't impressed with how he ended the season but he could bounce back yes. I like this Bassitt signing though just found out about that. That's already an under the radar signing.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Gurriel and Moreno gone to Arizona for Dalton Varsho.

Going to be a very different outfield for the Jays next season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Gurriel and Moreno gone to Arizona for Dalton Varsho.

Going to be a very different outfield for the Jays next season.
I expected Gurriel was getting moved out the minute Hernandez was. I guess I’m kinda surprised though that Moreno was the odd man out for the three catchers. As much as I like Kirk I thought he’d be the guy because you don’t expect that body to hold up for very long.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I agree 100% to this. I myself found it annoying all the childish stuff going on. You guys are playing ball to try to win the World Series not have a joyous fun playtime in the dugout like you're in little league
It was over the top. I like having fun but I also know when you have to buckle down. Somehow under Montoya he lost control, Schneider needed to rein it in. it was Tough to expect Springer to be the one and only adult in the room. merrifield, Bradley and now Kirrmaierer hopefully fix this.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Like the Varsho deal.

Moreno is gonna be good, but Varsho is, and will keep improving too.

And I really disliked Gurriel.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bluejays sign an excellent pitcher and nothing on here from supposed Blue Jay fans? Where's Cloned?

Blue Jays sign reliever Chad Green to two-year deal​

That's 2 of the Yankees best pitchers gone in less than 6 months. First Jordan Montgomery and now Green.
I know he had the big surgery , but if he comes back anything like he was before, you guys have got a big part of your bullpen problems solved.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Bluejays sign an excellent pitcher and nothing on here from supposed Blue Jay fans? Where's Cloned?

Blue Jays sign reliever Chad Green to two-year deal​

That's 2 of the Yankees best pitchers gone in less than 6 months. First Jordan Montgomery and now Green.
I know he had the big surgery , but if he comes back anything like he was before, you guys have got a big part of your bullpen problems solved.

JFC dude.

He's not even expected to effectively pitch this upcoming season so what's to get excited about with a team that's in "win now" mode?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Atkins took a big risk retooling the roster. Remains to be seen if it’ll work out.
I'm liking the changes thus far. Who knows how it'll actually play out, but I think the Jays are definitely better and more balanced now than last season.

Still think Bo is a goner in the near future though, and I'm still pretty iffy on Keirmaier.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm liking the changes thus far. Who knows how it'll actually play out, but I think the Jays are definitely better and more balanced now than last season.

Still think Bo is a goner in the near future though, and I'm still pretty iffy on Keirmaier.
The offense and locker room will be significantly different. Hopefully it works out.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
NCY, man.

The Jays have plenty of time to win.
No clue what NCY means.

My point was it's tough to get excited about a player when we know he's not realistically even in the mix for this year.
Maybe my supposed fandom will get excited when he's actually close to being ready to pitch.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No clue what NCY means.

My point was it's tough to get excited about a player when we know he's not realistically even in the mix for this year.
Maybe my supposed fandom will get excited when he's actually close to being ready to pitch.
What does JFC stand for?

I understand not getting jacked for the present. But like I said, IF Green can come back and be the player he was before the surgery, the Jays have added a significant piece down the road. They have a young team and will be able to use him then.

Atkins took a big risk retooling the roster. Remains to be seen if it’ll work out.
Well, he was getting shit on for keeping what he had and not making changes, so at least he had some balls to make some moves to shake things up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad