OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The return for Granderson(Demi Orimoloye) is really good imo, all things considered. Struggled a bit in the pros but still young and has great raw tools. Makes me optimistic what the return for Donaldson will be, announced as a player to be named later "with some value." Likely depends on how many games he's able to get into with the Tribe.

Still a sad day to see JD go, the playoff runs in 15/16 were some of the most fun times I've had as a sports fan and really brought back my love for baseball. He'll go down as one of the franchise greats even though it was only for 4 seasons.
I wonder if he even plays a game for them in the regular season. Let him get healthy and have him for the playoffs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder if he even plays a game for them in the regular season. Let him get healthy and have him for the playoffs.
I’m not sure I’d want to waste a roster spot in the playoffs on somebody I wasn’t sure was healthy. Especially on a guy that hasn’t appeared to be particularly honest about his health with anybody all year. Anybody know what the Jays get if Donaldson doesn’t play a single game in an Indians uniform?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I’m not sure I’d want to waste a roster spot in the playoffs on somebody I wasn’t sure was healthy. Especially on a guy that hasn’t appeared to be particularly honest about his health with anybody all year. Anybody know what the Jays get if Donaldson doesn’t play a single game in an Indians uniform?

Yeah the Indians probably want to get Donaldson some live action in the regular season. Unless the races change dramatically their playoff seeding is pretty much locked in at this point so there is no problem giving Donaldson at least a couple games.

The Tribe will be the third seeded division winner in the AL and will play whoever prevails between Houston and Oakland in the AL West. They have time to rest key guys, see what some marginal guys like Donaldson can do and get their rotation aligned for the playoffs.

I suspect what the Jays get depends on what Donaldson does for Cleveland. If Donaldson doesn't play a game for the Indians, I could see that player to be named never happening. Taking a little more than $4 million worth of salary off the Jays hands should be enough. If anything I could see a makeup second trade between the Indians and Jays if Donaldson doesn't play a game for the Indians.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah the Indians probably want to get Donaldson some live action in the regular season. Unless the races change dramatically their playoff seeding is pretty much locked in at this point so there is no problem giving Donaldson at least a couple games.

The Tribe will be the third seeded division winner in the AL and will play whoever prevails between Houston and Oakland in the AL West. They have time to rest key guys, see what some marginal guys like Donaldson can do and get their rotation aligned for the playoffs.

I suspect what the Jays get depends on what Donaldson does for Cleveland. If Donaldson doesn't play a game for the Indians, I could see that player to be named never happening. Taking a little more than $4 million worth of salary off the Jays hands should be enough. If anything I could see a makeup second trade between the Indians and Jays if Donaldson doesn't play a game for the Indians.
Once he gets off the disabled list there won’t be any excuse for the Indians not to play him. As you’ve said, they’re locked into their spot. It should be time to see where he fits in with the team. If he isn’t playing at that point then I’ll think it’ll be safe to assume the injury was worse than the Donaldson camp was leading people to believe. If that’s the case I don’t see how you’d trust whatever he tells you after that to include him on the playoff roster. I’m curious to see how this plays out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Once he gets off the disabled list there won’t be any excuse for the Indians not to play him. As you’ve said, they’re locked into their spot. It should be time to see where he fits in with the team. If he isn’t playing at that point then I’ll think it’ll be safe to assume the injury was worse than the Donaldson camp was leading people to believe. If that’s the case I don’t see how you’d trust whatever he tells you after that to include him on the playoff roster. I’m curious to see how this plays out.
The guy missed his 2nd game of rehab stint. Seems quite clear the guy is hurt and anyone acquiring him shouldn't be shocked by him being hurt.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The guy missed his 2nd game of rehab stint. Seems quite clear the guy is hurt and anyone acquiring him shouldn't be shocked by him being hurt.

Bingo. It's a pretty low cost acquisition. I doubt anyone cares if nothing comes back to the Jays.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The deal is not dependent on Donaldson's performance. The player is already determined. It just cannot be announced since the player is on the Indian's 40 man roster and did not clear waivers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The deal is not dependent on Donaldson's performance. The player is already determined. It just cannot be announced since the player is on the Indian's 40 man roster and did not clear waivers.
Lol, man the MLB has some unique situations. What happens is said player blows his knee out and the Jays don't want him?

Reactions: MisterD

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

So when would it be announced? Once the season is over?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Is there any way the Indians can bow out if Donaldson isn’t healthy enough to play this year? Not suggesting your wrong but I have heard in a few places the deal is dependant on performance.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Right handed Pitcher Julian Merryweather is the PTBNL. Just had Tommy John surgery too.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Is there any way the Indians can bow out if Donaldson isn’t healthy enough to play this year? Not suggesting your wrong but I have heard in a few places the deal is dependant on performance.
I don't think there is any way that they could pull out. The comment I made was directly from Atkins after being asked if the trade had any contingencies. His answer was a direct NO.

Reactions: rboomercat90

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sure why not go 4 for 4 with two dingers and a stolen base the day it's announced you'll probably being going for Tommy John surgery

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Sure why not go 4 for 4 with two dingers and a stolen base the day it's announced you'll probably being going for Tommy John surgery

Are you surprised that Ohtani has to go for TJ surgery? I am not. With the rumblings are the start of the season about his arm/elbow it seemed like it was going to be inevitable. Plus I hav been a dangerous trend with big named Japanese import pitchers all requiring TJ surgery when they came over.

Dice-K, Yu Darvish, and now Ohtani. I recall hearing in Japan that they have more time between their starts, but is 1 extra day really that big of factor in preventing TJ surgery or could it be something more mechanical in The way they pitch that is being taught when they are developing?

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Pretty sure they don't have pitch counts on high school age pitchers and work them like pitchers back in the day. 150+ pitches a game

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are you surprised that Ohtani has to go for TJ surgery? I am not. With the rumblings are the start of the season about his arm/elbow it seemed like it was going to be inevitable. Plus I hav been a dangerous trend with big named Japanese import pitchers all requiring TJ surgery when they came over.

Dice-K, Yu Darvish, and now Ohtani. I recall hearing in Japan that they have more time between their starts, but is 1 extra day really that big of factor in preventing TJ surgery or could it be something more mechanical in The way they pitch that is being taught when they are developing?
Not at all I just love how he needs something so major yet is still playing at such a high level.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I know I am in the minority but I have no problem keeping Vladdy Jr away from the shit pile that is the blue jays right now--for me putting him in the line up would be a PR stunt--jays are playing for nothing and they have all these new players who they need to see what they can and can not do--Looking at the roster I would say up to 50% may not be back--that is how bad the team is

Reactions: MisterD

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What a gong show. Now agent calling out media for making up reports. Shapiro and Cherington potentially going to Mets, although they are saying that's a fake rumor.

Now that the Leafs and Raptors aren't jokes the Jays become the shit show in the media?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
What a gong show. Now agent calling out media for making up reports. Shapiro and Cherington potentially going to Mets, although they are saying that's a fake rumor.

Now that the Leafs and Raptors aren't jokes the Jays become the **** show in the media?

And now the MLBPA is apparently taking notice of the Jays refusal to call up Vlad.

In that case though, I think the PA can pound sand. Service time is in the CBA. Negotiate a better CBA next time if you don't want teams trying to hold on to players as long as possible.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I know I am in the minority but I have no problem keeping Vladdy Jr away from the **** pile that is the blue jays right now--for me putting him in the line up would be a PR stunt--jays are playing for nothing and they have all these new players who they need to see what they can and can not do--Looking at the roster I would say up to 50% may not be back--that is how bad the team is
I think the Jays front office is a shit show but I think they’ve made the right decision here. Makes no sense at all bringing him up now in such a meaningless situation. Not when it means losing a year of service time.

This is a CBA issue and has nothing to do with the Jays. Other teams are doing the same thing. Shapiro’s problem, IMO, is he hasn’t been honest very often when he’s talked about the team and he’s lost a lot of credibility with fans. Even with this issue he refuses to tell the truth about what the team is doing. He wasn’t sent to the Arizona fall league for any other reason than to save that year of eligibility and everyone knows it. When he keeps lying about everything, everybody loses patience with him. The media has been doing his job all season and telling fans the reason why Guerrero wouldn’t be called up. Nobody who seriously follows the team thought he would be. I don’t get why Shapiro refuses to tell the truth, explain to the fans how the CBA works, tell them other teams are doing the same thing with their top prospects and how they’re doing what they think is in the best long term interests of the team. I guess he’s just his own worst enemy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad