OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Great start today by Pannone. The kid pitched six no hit innings. He gave up a single to start the 7th and then after another lazy and laughably bad play by Teoscar Hernandez was faced with second and third with nobody out and pitched out of it. I hope he gets another start or two.

Should also be noted that Randall Grichuk made several outstanding plays in centerfield including a great diving catch in the sixth to keep the no-hitter going. I’d be fine with the team giving him that job and moving on from Kevin Pillar next year.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Struds sure went off on the Nationals for this same thing with Strasburg.

I just keep thinking about Robert Griffin.

Then again as a coach/gm you are paid to be making those tough decisions. Real high risk, but real high reward
Iirc, this whole idea seemed to start with Strasburg. Shutting him down didn’t seem to make much difference as he ended up missing a lot of time earlier in his career anyway. Kind of like Sanchez has too for unrelated injuries. What it did do for sure was derail the chances of a very good team that year when Strasburg was healthy and pitching well. Fastforward several year and that team despite being a contender for a long time never went anywhere in the post season. It’s always made me wonder if that early decision with Strasburg permanently damaged the trust the players had in the organization.

Not sure where you’re going with Griffin so I won’t comment on that. From what I remember he got hurt early in the season and just wasn’t really the same after that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Iirc, this whole idea seemed to start with Strasburg. Shutting him down didn’t seem to make much difference as he ended up missing a lot of time earlier in his career anyway. Kind of like Sanchez has too for unrelated injuries. What it did do for sure was derail the chances of a very good team that year when Strasburg was healthy and pitching well. Fastforward several year and that team despite being a contender for a long time never went anywhere in the post season. It’s always made me wonder if that early decision with Strasburg permanently damaged the trust the players had in the organization.

Not sure where you’re going with Griffin so I won’t comment on that. From what I remember he got hurt early in the season and just wasn’t really the same after that.
Griffin hurt his knee later in the season. Continued to play a game or two and then played in the playoffs. A game in which you can tell he shouldn't have been. He ended up seriously injuring his knee and never was the same.

So essentially Washington was trying to prevent something like that from happening. They didn't want to risk Strasburg's career

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Griffin hurt his knee later in the season. Continued to play a game or two and then played in the playoffs. A game in which you can tell he shouldn't have been. He ended up seriously injuring his knee and never was the same.

So essentially Washington was trying to prevent something like that from happening. They didn't want to risk Strasburg's career
Thanks for refreshing my memory on Griffin. That was a terrible situation. I don’t see how they’re relatable though. Strasburg was healthy when they shut him down that first season. They were concerned about the number of innings he was going to pitch as he’d never gotten to that number before. If he had an actual problem then yes, obviously, shut him down. From what I remember at the time, there was no injury.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for refreshing my memory on Griffin. That was a terrible situation. I don’t see how they’re relatable though. Strasburg was healthy when they shut him down that first season. They were concerned about the number of innings he was going to pitch as he’d never gotten to that number before. If he had an actual problem then yes, obviously, shut him down. From what I remember at the time, there was no injury.
I guess he was healthy, but Tommy John injuries are quite something to recover from.

Really just a hindsight game that at the end of the day for the Nationals they lost.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Phillies claim Bautista off waviers. Deal needs to be done by tomorrow and the Mets actually want something in return.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Morales has a chance to tie an MLB record tonight if he hits a home run. For those that stopped paying attention months ago when the Jays could no longer pretend they had a team worth watching, Morales has homered in 7 consecutive games with the record being 8 games. The Jays open up a series at Baltimore tonight. Morales homered in 3 games vs the Orioles earlier in the streak so he may actually have a shot here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Morales has a chance to tie an MLB record tonight if he hits a home run. For those that stopped paying attention months ago when the Jays could no longer pretend they had a team worth watching, Morales has homered in 7 consecutive games with the record being 8 games. The Jays open up a series at Baltimore tonight. Morales homered in 3 games vs the Orioles earlier in the streak so he may actually have a shot here.
Unless he gets beaned on the first pitch

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not shocking but Donaldson to go on waivers today

Not liking that it's because the Jays want him gone. Yet another fan favourite leaving on bad terms

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Not shocking but Donaldson to go on waivers today

Not liking that it's because the Jays want him gone. Yet another fan favourite leaving on bad terms

They’re not likely to qualify him after this season, so I can see why they want him gone, while hoping to get something for him.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but man, what a missed opportunity to not deal him this last offseason.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They’re not likely to qualify him after this season, so I can see why they want him gone, while hoping to get something for him.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but man, what a missed opportunity to not deal him this last offseason.
It's everyone though.

Rumors swirling a month ago that Osuna issues went back awhile ago.

Messing up Encarnacion only to keep Bautista.

Tulowski is another. Hopefully he can rebound, but who knows.

It is a lot of hindsight, but a lot of hindsight has been biting this club in the ass. Should've blown it up when they had a chance.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's everyone though.

Rumors swirling a month ago that Osuna issues went back awhile ago.

Messing up Encarnacion only to keep Bautista.

Tulowski is another. Hopefully he can rebound, but who knows.

It is a lot of hindsight, but a lot of hindsight has been biting this club in the ass. Should've blown it up when they had a chance.
I’ve said this repeatedly so I may was as well continue. It should have been blown up the winter they lost Edwin. They were an old team then and they’d already proven they were too flawed as a group to go farther then they did anyway. They certainly could have gotten a good return for Donaldson, and maybe even something for Tulowitzki too. At the very least, they might have been able to get out from under his contract. It sure would have been nice to have actually been building for the future the last two seasons with a lousy team than just spinning their wheels the last two seasons with a lousy team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know what impact this has, but Donaldson is out for the 2nd rehab game. Not sure, but I thought he had to prove he was healthy before being traded. Or does him making one game mean they can still move him?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
God, the Jays are awful. They’d make the Bad News Bears look like major leaguers. I’m not sure what happened on that play at first with Devon Travis.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I was actually astounded that more people did no just kill this management group for their past off season which was pure garbage imo. They should have started disassembling last off season instead of waiting for their players value to tank. Very oileresque in asset management.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was actually astounded that more people did no just kill this management group for their past off season which was pure garbage imo. They should have started disassembling last off season instead of waiting for their players value to tank. Very oileresque in asset management.
The problem is the market they are in. They've built up a real good fan base the past bunch of year and they are worried about losing that. Although the fans have already left now, so they might as well do it

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’d say it’s a lot worse than being Oileresque. Whether you’re fans or not of the Oilers that have left here, at least those guys were dealt while they could still play the game. Only one I remember that you could make a case against that was Hemsky and at least we still got something for him. The Jays have held onto their players until injuries had finished them off. Worse than that, they actually lied to their fan bases in each of the last two off seasons by telling the fans the team was good enough to contend.

I’m not defending Oiler management as I’ve been as critical as anybody here but at least they never out right lied to anybody to sell tickets. Rogers deserves 10,000 fans at the games after the way they’ve not only run the team but treated their fans too.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
https://www.tsn.ca/report-donaldson-granderson-expected-to-be-dealt-by-midnight-1.1165603

IF Donaldson is traded sounds like he will take shots at the Jays organisation. Reportedly not a happy bunny right now
I can’t stand these guys that talk to the media, insinuate there’s some kind of issue but refuse to say anything. What’s the point in that? Sounds to me that, just like Bautista before him, he’s pissed that he isn’t getting that big pay day he expected to get and is blaming it on the team. Just like Bautista, he turned down a good deal expecting to get more and then his body betrayed him. That’s on him and his agent and not the team.

He can take pot shots at the organization all he wants. It wouldn’t surprise me either if some are sent back his way too. There’s been a lot of hints in the media this last little while that he had some character issues.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Donaldson to the Tribe and Granderson to the Brewers.

I've always been a huge Granderson fan but can't cheer for him being in the Central now going against the Cubs.

I'll be rooting for Cleveland in the playoffs; I really hope they finally bring an end to their WS championship drought.

Reactions: shoop

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Donaldson to the Tribe and Granderson to the Brewers.

I've always been a huge Granderson fan but can't cheer for him being in the Central now going against the Cubs.

I'll be rooting for Cleveland in the playoffs; I really hope they finally bring an end to their WS championship drought.
The return for Granderson(Demi Orimoloye) is really good imo, all things considered. Struggled a bit in the pros but still young and has great raw tools. Makes me optimistic what the return for Donaldson will be, announced as a player to be named later "with some value." Likely depends on how many games he's able to get into with the Tribe.

Still a sad day to see JD go, the playoff runs in 15/16 were some of the most fun times I've had as a sports fan and really brought back my love for baseball. He'll go down as one of the franchise greats even though it was only for 4 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad