Blue Jays/MLB 2020 SZN

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Alford over Gurriel has less to do with a lineup decision and more to do with the injury he picked up before the season started. He’s probably easing him into it to prevent re-aggravation.

Yeah that bullpen was built on hopes and prayers. There’s a lot of hoping that players take big steps this year and hopes that we get some flash-in-the-pan seasons from some guys.

Realistically, I don’t think this team was built to go anywhere this season. The main goals of management this offseason seemed to be to shore up the position players and the starting rotation.

Hopefully we get the outfield and bullpen addressed sooner rather than later.

I would buy that if he didn't sub Gurriel in pretty early in the game, and he ended up with like 3 or 4 ABs by the end of the game anyways.

He has to fix that bullpen soon. You can't keep throwing away leads like that. It's bad for team morale.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Montoyo is terrible. Way out of his league at this level.

Atkins needs to fix the bullpen otherwise this season is going to go quickly down the drain.

I agree with Montoyo and was saying it last year even. He seems like an incredibly nice guy and the players like him but he makes some truly head scratching decisions and waits too long to make adjustments most of the time.

I'm fine with him for the rest of the season because of the shit show this season will be (if you can even get through the season which i doubt) and because the disaster of a roster he had last year, especially the rotation but i don't have a lot of faith

Reactions: Cloned

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I think the complaints about the bullpen are a bit of an overreaction by fans largely due to Giles blowing up today. For the most part they’ve done a good job, and if Giles closes that one out I don’t think it’s really much of a discussion. Romano has been an absolute gem so far, Bass and Cole have looked good so far and Hatch was solid today(I’m assuming he ends up in the pen once Pearson is called up). Dolis has been an adventure every time he’s been up but with the track record he had in Japan I get why they want to give him the chances, hopefully he can get adjusted to these big league guys ASAP.

Montoyo does worry me with his management style though. For a guy who comes from the Tampa system it sure doesn’t show in the way he’s handled things. There was no reason to pull Romano today, he had a 9 pitch inning to get his guys done so he easily could’ve faced a few more batters. If they had done that they would’ve had one of Bass/Dolis still available to come in when Giles got hurt and they might’ve closed it out. His postgame comments were awful too, sounded like he was ok with just pushing the Rays that close. With the expanded playoffs the Jays have a legit shot to grab a playoff berth imo, gotta stop treating it like a development year and seize the opportunity.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
dummies should have made a bubble

oops
I don’t think it’s even possible to make a secure bubble with the number of teams/players in regular season baseball.

I think this could be the end of the season. Most people still aren’t even considering all the hotel staff that dealt with the Marlins over the past few days. From a competitive standpoint, how can you legitimize games where a number of teams get to basically play a AAA team?

The NFL should be taking notes as well. While the NBA and NHL have a fighting shot, I don’t see the MLB or NFL finishing their seasons.

Reactions: belair

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If the Phillies have a positive test I think that's about it. The Reds also had one positive test and now a couple other players are sitting out. So it all came apart pretty quickly.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Well that was fun.

See all of you again next April provided that there’s a vaccine or Covid is quashed by an act of god.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I hope everyone stays healthy. Why wasn't this a completely obvious outcome? If you couldn't ensure a closed environment for these players, they shouldn't have done it.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The Blue Jays broadcast crew are doing a phenomenal job calling the games. You can't even tell they're not in the ball park. Especially Buck with his color commentary makes it feel like he's really there.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The Blue Jays broadcast crew are doing a phenomenal job calling the games. You can't even tell they're not in the ball park. Especially Buck with his color commentary makes it feel like he's really there.
Shulman is the best in the game at play by play, and for my money he’s the best guy in all of sport. Buck can be a little much when he’s doing the pxp, but he’s great when paired with Shulman. One of the best parts of this season is having those two together for all the calls.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Shulman is the best in the game at play by play, and for my money he’s the best guy in all of sport. Buck can be a little much when he’s doing the pxp, but he’s great when paired with Shulman. One of the best parts of this season is having those two together for all the calls.

Anything with less Pat Tabler is a win.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Shulman has a fantastic voice for calling baseball.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Dude tried so hard to be the Don Cherry of baseball. And he was actually getting there until he pulled a ... Don Cherry?

I think he was trying to put a little extra pine tar on his bat, if you know what I'm saying.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
His voice is fantastic and he seems to have a perfect grasp of how much/little to say during the game. It’s really obvious why ESPN wanted him for Sunday Night Baseball, I’m so glad he’s back with the Jays now though.

With Buck's full name...I can't help but think of 2 Live Crew when I hear it :laugh:.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His voice is fantastic and he seems to have a perfect grasp of how much/little to say during the game. It’s really obvious why ESPN wanted him for Sunday Night Baseball, I’m so glad he’s back with the Jays now though.

I do find though that sometimes his calls of dramatic moments can be a little underwhelming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad