Blue Jays can't play play in Toronto - Buffalo it is

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ignorant to what? The fact you continue to ignore my point by arguing things I'm not?

I never debated the legal merit of anything, it's clear my point from the beginning is the nuance of the situation, to which you simply deny without any explanation.

If I told my kids they can play over at your house but your kids couldn't come over to mine would that be right? I mean, as a parent I'm not obligated treat you or your kids with the same respect you treat me and mine, right?

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right. Just as me criticizing your admin here doesn't change the fact our administration is a joke that is only in place due to the archaic electoral college. It isn't a 'me vs you', or 'US vs Canada'. We both want the same thing here.

But your house and your neighbors house might not be the same and the way that the kids are able to play at each location might be different.

Having US teams and their staff come in and out of Toronto without being able to properly quarantine and self isolate as per the health and safety guidelines and also have the Jays going to various cities in the eastern US and then coming back here was a bad idea in the first place. The thing that was really stupid about this is that they should have figured this back-up plan option well in advance. It always made the most sense for all the teams to be in the same country.

Reactions: Otto

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
But your house and your neighbors house might not be the same and the way that the kids are able to play at each location might be different.

Having US teams and their staff come in and out of Toronto without being able to properly quarantine and self isolate as per the health and safety guidelines and also have the Jays going to various cities in the eastern US and then coming back here was a bad idea in the first place. The thing that was really stupid about this is that they should have figured this back-up plan option well in advance. It always made the most sense for all the teams to be in the same country.
Manfred-led mlb dropping the ball? Never!

Not sure what they do from here. Playing all their home games on the road will cause travel conflicts for all involved.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Problem with Buffalo was the lighting primarily for televised games. 60 games, maybe 10 home series? Isolated environment in Toronto. I don't understand why they just didn't let them play at home. Optics aren't the best but the actual numbers over the population are low (in terms of the opposing team's numbers entering the province each time). We need more statistically inclined people in government. The degradation of mathematical prowess continues.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Problem with Buffalo was the lighting primarily for televised games. 60 games, maybe 10 home series? Isolated environment in Toronto. I don't understand why they just didn't let them play at home. Optics aren't the best but the actual numbers over the population are low (in terms of the opposing team's numbers entering the province each time). We need more statistically inclined people in government. The degradation of mathematical prowess continues.
it's the other teams, not just the Jays.....

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Do you want to be the politician left holding the bag if you let a bunch of people playing a game skip the line and an outbreak occurs?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
because simply it never was.... Manchester has been their AA affiliate smack dab in another team's territory (BOS).....
If MLB was so worried about Blue Jays hurting the US tv ratings during the playoffs, surely giving them Western NY to somewhat compensate for that makes sense?

Weird.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Because Sportsnet isn't available in the US.

Crossover territories wouldn't work. Same reason the Detroit teams can't control Windsor.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Because Sportsnet isn't available in the US.

Crossover territories wouldn't work. Same reason the Detroit teams can't control Windsor.

Well, I’d disagree on that point. Canadian towns that border larger US markets absolutely will adopt them as their home team. There’s a ton of Red Wings, Pistons, Tigers, and Lions fans in Windsor. Some of it is due to the fact that the Jays and Raptors didn’t come around until the last 25-50 years so regionally that’s who they would follow and their parents and grandparents would follow those teams. Also in Canada you absolutely can pick up those US radio and TV stations so depending on your area you would be following them more closely than a Canadian team that is 5-10 hours away.

Lots of Twins/Vikings fans in Manitoba and lots of Bruins fans in the Maritimes as other examples of this.

Reactions: DoyleG

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Well a govt isn't just responsible for the safety of their own people, as has been pointed out many times over history.

The fact that your govt is willing to spread it in another country bothers me. What is so hard to understand about that? I would be annoyed if the US was doing the same thing to Canada, but then again I'm not a hypocrite.

Your country had ho problem when the players left the US (Dunedin - a hot spot) to train in Toronto.

Who's the hypocrite?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Your country had ho problem when the players left the US (Dunedin - a hot spot) to train in Toronto.

Who's the hypocrite?
How am I a hypocrite for something I had no decision in? Talk about pulling a muscle to reach.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
How am I a hypocrite for something I had no decision in? Talk about pulling a muscle to reach.
So the US/MLB tire fire approach to this pandemic needs to happen in Canada, or it's hypocritical?

How about applauding the fact that one country is smart enough to recognize how brain dead the other one has been to date on controlling this?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
So the US/MLB tire fire approach to this pandemic needs to happen in Canada, or it's hypocritical?

How about applauding the fact that one country is smart enough to recognize how brain dead the other one has been to date on controlling this?
Again, trying to make statements/arguments I never made.

Not liking how Canada handles a certain situation doesn't mean I automatically support every decision the US has made. That couldn't be any further from the truth, to be honest. The US's admin fumbling the situation from the start also doesn't mean I like every decision Canada has made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad