Blue Jays can't play play in Toronto - Buffalo it is

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Apparently discussions are being made with Pittsburgh as a viable option for a stadium.

Going from playing in the 2nd worst ballpark to playing in the very best would be dope. You could probably resolve a few conflicts with double headers too.

How come?

If I'm mlb, I just blackout all Jays games in Canada lol

The MLB fortunately isn't some monolithic entity as much as it is an umbrella of 30 entities. The Jays have their own local TV contract that has to be honored.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Knew I'd get a few bites lol.

Just find it a bit of a 'have your cake and eat it too' situation. I realize the vast differences between a sports league and a country's government, but it's a bit hypocritical being ok allowing the Blue Jays players to leave their country to play baseball despite covid concerns, but not allowing others to come in due to the same concerns.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Speaking of DC, how's RFK stadium looking nowadays? Maybe we could borrow that for a few months since it's still standing and Globe Life isn't an option due to renovations + travel.

RFK hasn't been used for sports since 2017 and is scheduled to be demolished next year due to high maintenance costs (which implies to me that the stadium is not currently being properly maintained, because why bother). It's not an option.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
RFK hasn't been used for sports since 2017 and is scheduled to be demolished next year due to high maintenance costs (which implies to me that the stadium is not currently being properly maintained, because why bother). It's not an option.
Good point. Uhhh... Turner Field? Dunno what that place is like nowadays either but it's gotten major league action far more recently than RFK.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Interesting idea that could buy the Jays more time to find a temporary home:

As for MLB park availability, someone on another forum I frequent put together a list of available dates for all East and Central division parks: http://tmiller2462.firstcloudit.com/TV/Jays 2020.pdf

Some possibilities going off of that:

• NYC. Yankee Stadium and/or Citi Field are available for all but 2 games on the Jays' home schedule: 8/11 and 12 against Miami. However, the Jays are also scheduled to visit Miami on 9/1 and 2, so a site swap would solve that problem (Citi is available on 9/1 and 2).
  • Baltimore/Washington: This one wouldn't have any logistical hurdles, as Camden Yards and/or Nationals Park are available for all games on the Jays' home schedule.

Good point. Uhhh... Turner Field? Dunno what that place is like nowadays either but it's gotten major league action far more recently than RFK.

Turner's been converted into the home field for the Georgia State football team.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Knew I'd get a few bites lol.

Just find it a bit of a 'have your cake and eat it too' situation. I realize the vast differences between a sports league and a country's government, but it's a bit hypocritical being ok allowing the Blue Jays players to leave their country to play baseball despite covid concerns, but not allowing others to come in due to the same concerns.
What are you even talking about lol there is nothing hypocritical about what happened.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Sounds like part of the draw of Pittsburgh or Baltimore is they both have hotels steps away from the park, eliminating the need for an auxiliary clubhouse.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What are you even talking about lol there is nothing hypocritical about what happened.
Of course you don't see any.

The Canadian govt is perfectly fine with people leaving Canada for baseball, but are claiming the need for safety when it comes to entering Canada to play baseball. If that's not a double standard, please explain why not.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Of course you don't see any.

The Canadian govt is perfectly fine with people leaving Canada for baseball, but are claiming the need for safety when it comes to entering Canada to play baseball. If that's not a double standard, please explain why not.
Because the Canadian government isn't concerned with people not in Canada? Are you actually serious right now that you don't get why the Canadian government is concerned about people coming to Canada more then they are about people leaving Canada....like I really should not have to spell this out lol

Reactions: kb

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Because the Canadian government isn't concerned with people not in Canada? Are you actually serious right now that you don't get why the Canadian government is concerned about people coming to Canada more then they are about people leaving Canada....like I really should not have to spell this out lol
Well a govt isn't just responsible for the safety of their own people, as has been pointed out many times over history.

The fact that your govt is willing to spread it in another country bothers me. What is so hard to understand about that? I would be annoyed if the US was doing the same thing to Canada, but then again I'm not a hypocrite.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Well a govt isn't just responsible for the safety of their own people, as has been pointed out many times over history.

The fact that your govt is willing to spread it in another country bothers me. What is so hard to understand about that? I would be annoyed if the US was doing the same thing to Canada, but then again I'm not a hypocrite.
A government literally is responsible for the safety of it's own people? You come off incredibly ignorant thinking that the government of Canada could stop a baseball team from going to another country to play. Such a ridiculous point of view lol.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A government literally is responsible for the safety of it's own people? You come off incredibly ignorant thinking that the government of Canada
could stop a baseball team from going to another country to play. Such a ridiculous point of view lol.
Governments are responsible for ensuring the safety of their citizens, AND others. If something is unsafe to do in your own country during a pandemic, then it's safe to assume it isn't safe to do in another. Just because Canada can't physically stop Toronto from playing in the US doesn't mean the implication made here that Canadian lives have more value than a person in the US doesn't exist. Trudeau simply saying something to the effect that "we can't stop them from playing there, but we wish they wouldn't" would have meant quite a bit since you can't expect morality out of leagues and networks when the bottom line is in jeopardy.

But it's fine. We'll see how the mlb season goes compared to the 24 nhl teams/staff/crews Canada is allowing to play up there.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Governments are responsible for ensuring the safety of their citizens, AND others. If something is unsafe to do in your own country during a pandemic, then it's safe to assume it isn't safe to do in another. Just because Canada can't physically stop Toronto from playing in the US doesn't mean the implication made here that Canadian lives have more value than a person in the US doesn't exist. Trudeau simply saying something to the effect that "we can't stop them from playing there, but we wish they wouldn't" would have meant quite a bit since you can't expect morality out of leagues and networks when the bottom line is in jeopardy.

But it's fine. We'll see how the mlb season goes compared to the 24 nhl teams/staff/crews Canada is allowing to play up there.
You are being willfully ignorant at this point. If every MLB team wanted to come to Canada to play the entire season in a bubble I am sure it would have been approved. Denying the Jays playing in Toronto doesn't imply that Canadian lives matter more then American lives...but the Canadian government can not save American lives you have your own government for that. It is not Canada's obligation to tell the States what to do and we damn well know that your country wouldn't listen anyways. So what is the point in empty and hollow statements other then the headline that goes out for a few hours and then gets passed by? Take care of your own house and then worry about other peoples shit.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
You are being willfully ignorant at this point. If every MLB team wanted to come to Canada to play the entire season in a bubble I am sure it would have been approved. Denying the Jays playing in Toronto doesn't imply that Canadian lives matter more then American lives...but the Canadian government can not save American lives you have your own government for that. It is not Canada's obligation to tell the States what to do and we damn well know that your country wouldn't listen anyways. So what is the point in empty and hollow statements other then the headline that goes out for a few hours and then gets passed by? Take care of your own house and then worry about other peoples shit.
Ignorant to what? The fact you continue to ignore my point by arguing things I'm not?

I never debated the legal merit of anything, it's clear my point from the beginning is the nuance of the situation, to which you simply deny without any explanation.

If I told my kids they can play over at your house but your kids couldn't come over to mine would that be right? I mean, as a parent I'm not obligated treat you or your kids with the same respect you treat me and mine, right?

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right. Just as me criticizing your admin here doesn't change the fact our administration is a joke that is only in place due to the archaic electoral college. It isn't a 'me vs you', or 'US vs Canada'. We both want the same thing here.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Ignorant to what? The fact you continue to ignore my point by arguing things I'm not?

I never debated the legal merit of anything, it's clear my point from the beginning is the nuance of the situation, to which you simply deny without any explanation.

If I told my kids they can play over at your house but your kids couldn't come over to mine would that be right? I mean, as a parent I'm not obligated treat you or your kids with the same respect you treat me and mine, right?

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right. Just as me criticizing your admin here doesn't change the fact our administration is a joke that is only in place due to the archaic electoral college. It isn't a 'me vs you', or 'US vs Canada'. We both want the same thing here.
Fair enough but you seem to be missing the issue the government here has isn't with sports happening at all clearly as the NHL has been approved to play in two cities here. They had a problem with multiple trips back and forth over the border with no bubble established to baseballs return. Specifically with Miami and Tampa making trips here. It would be more like me not letting your kid play at my house but the neighbors are cool with it. If your point is essentially just wanting our government to come out and state that they disagree with the States returning to play well I just think it is a empty statement that doesn't change or mean anything at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad