Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays baseball: now with 100% more wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hit another one after that.

It's not sustainable, but I'd love to see a Maris-like season from a complete nobody.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's a great guy too. Couldn't be happier to see him doing great. And looking very impressive while he's doing it. Excellent bat speed, great plate discipline.

He's always had good bat speed, even during his first stint in MLB. Now it looks like he's honed his contact ability and discipline, along with the fact that he jacked himself up right before he left the first time.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He's always had good bat speed, even during his first stint in MLB. Now it looks like he's honed his contact ability and discipline, along with the fact that he jacked himself up right before he left the first time.

He was always enormous.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Hit another one after that.

It's not sustainable, but I'd love to see a Maris-like season from a complete nobody.

7 of his 10 home runs this season have been against Cinci. I don't think they got the scouting report.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah something called osterline or something

My view point is he was taking it for the benefits to joint injury reduction.

Ostarine (Ibutamoren) Chemical Structure

SARMS bind to the androgen receptor (AR) and shows osteo (bone) and myo (muscular) selective anabolic activity. The tying and stimulation intensifies protein synthesis and builds muscle.

Ostarine causes muscle growth just like steroids but it won’t produce negative side effects commonly found in anabolic steroids and prohormones such as prostate and other secondary sexual organs.

MK-2866 uses its anabolic effects on muscle tissue fully so it’s not only a potential for curing muscle wasting ailments but also it has great potential for muscle building for athletes, bodybuilders and fitness buffs. It is also an agent to reduce degeneration during recovery times from serious surgery or similar conditions.

Benefits of Ostarine

Increased lean mass gains
Better strength
More endurance
Joint healing abilities
Anabolic (even at doses as low as 3 mg)

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Regardless of who he is facing it is an impressive feat. I would be happy to see him keep it up;

But as Kurtz said we shall see what he does against tougher competition;

Thames' Homeruns vs Pitchers:
1. Jon Gray
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Bronson Arroyo
4. Wandy Peralta
5. Tony Cingrani
6. Robert Stephenson
7. Wandy Peralta
8. Tim Adleman
9. Jon Lackey
10. Carlos Martinez

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...=978,12555,14916,1507,11682,14295,13594,10968

I see one good starter in Martinez having control issues this season, 1 good reliever in Peralta but limited innings and the rest are around league average or well below.

5 out of those at pitchers are below league average in HR/9.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Enough of this Thames talk, its time to panic.

Getting dominated by Jesse Chavez pretty much signifies impending doom.

I think Shapiro and Atkins will dismantle this team over this season and the offseason.

I will venture a guess that Donaldson will be traded before next season, not sure who else they can get rid of (doubtful on Tulo and Martin due to contracts). Not sure anyone would want Bautista at this point.

Travis continues to worry me, seems like the Lupul of the Blue Jays.

Tellez will be up by the end of June, which be for sure if Smoak wasn't actually playing decently.

Happ, Estrada and Liriano traded by the deadline.

Flame away everyone

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Enough of this Thames talk, its time to panic.

Getting dominated by Jesse Chavez pretty much signifies impending doom.

I think Shapiro and Atkins will dismantle this team over this season and the offseason.

I will venture a guess that Donaldson will be traded before next season, not sure who else they can get rid of (doubtful on Tulo and Martin due to contracts). Not sure anyone would want Bautista at this point.

Travis continues to worry me, seems like the Lupul of the Blue Jays.

Tellez will be up by the end of June, which be for sure if Smoak wasn't actually playing decently.

Happ, Estrada and Liriano traded by the deadline.

Flame away everyone

Agreed but they need this team to truly bottom out, otherwise they will get the constant second guessing and vitriol that comes when a team is not quite good enough but not that bad and you trade away fan favorites. imagine if this team finishes just outside of the wild card and they trade Josh... they would hang Shatkins and Costello at high noon at city hall but if the Jays finished bottom of the pile, its a tradn' season in Toronto.

The boys on the MLB channel seem to LOVE Estrada, Happ/Liranio should get a good return, GM's love those lefties

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Agreed but they need this team to truly bottom out, otherwise they will get the constant second guessing and vitriol that comes when a team is not quite good enough but not that bad and you trade away fan favorites. imagine if this team finishes just outside of the wild card and they trade Josh... they would hang Shatkins and Costello at high noon at city hall but if the Jays finished bottom of the pile, its a tradn' season in Toronto

They don't really seem to give a **** about second guessing and vitriol, and they shouldn't. Fans are idiots.

Remember Happ and Estrada instead of Price? Remember Morales instead of Edwin?

They're trying to do the right thing to put a good team together, not make fans and the media happy.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
They don't really seem to give a **** about second guessing and vitriol, and they shouldn't. Fans are idiots.

Remember Happ and Estrada instead of Price? Remember Morales instead of Edwin?

They're trying to do the right thing to put a good team together, not make fans and the media happy.

Fans can be idiots but don't forget fans pay the bills so their opinion matters to the bean counters. The bean counters keep Shatkin's employed.

So far Shatkin's performance is not good.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Still a pretty stupid explanation. Both feet were in the box.

I really don't like the idea that the pitcher can't have in his arsenal the ability to disrupt the timing of the hitter by throwing a pitch as soon as the hitter is in the batter's box. This is against improving the pace of the game.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Fans can be idiots but don't forget fans pay the bills so their opinion matters to the bean counters. The bean counters keep Shatkin's employed.

I have to disagree. He tried his best to keep the team competitive without being stupid.

Morales for EE is a wash at significantly less money.

The Liriano trade was a gem.

Signing Pearce was a shrewd move, hasnt worked out yet but you cant fault them.

Not going bonkers for Fowler was a smart move

Fact is, they have an aging team, and everyone has decided to take a steaming dump at the same time. They were remarkably healthy last year, pitching especially, so they have ran into some injuries this year and they have struggled.

The pitching has been really good once again, but the lack of offence that we saw at the end of last year has continued. I know its early, but they would have to play at a ridiculous rate to even think playoffs.

The last few years have been great, but I think this is the end of the current team as we know it.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

They tinkered with a contender last year, put together a team that was expected to contend, and contended.

They made some bigger moves this year out of necessity, put together a team that was expected to contend, and they look bad.

Their track record is pretty good unless you want to base your entire analysis of their tenure on a three week stretch.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

So it's their fault they inherited an old team that had the upper farm system gutted thus putting us in this exact situation?

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay

Fans have short memories once it becomes exciting and fans won't come out to watch an aging team lose anymore then if they trade away pieces.

As for their performance, they have acquired some prospects and a good starter for nothing. They acquired good bullpen pieces last year. They have not signed players to deals that handcuff the team long term. While you can argue they haven't set the world on fire, I don't think they've done a bad job. This is really only year two, i have faith this management team will do a good job, but that could just be me.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
[/B]

I have to disagree. He tried his best to keep the team competitive without being stupid.

Morales for EE is a wash at significantly less money.

The Liriano trade was a gem.

Signing Pearce was a shrewd move, hasnt worked out yet but you cant fault them.

Not going bonkers for Fowler was a smart move

Fact is, they have an aging team, and everyone has decided to take a steaming dump at the same time. They were remarkably healthy last year, pitching especially, so they have ran into some injuries this year and they have struggled.

The pitching has been really good once again, but the lack of offence that we saw at the end of last year has continued. I know its early, but they would have to play at a ridiculous rate to even think playoffs.

The last few years have been great, but I think this is the end of the current team as we know it.

But you're ignoring the one thing that's really hurting the team right now: guaranteeing money and roster spots to useless, replacement level players like Justin Smoak and Ezequiel Car...

*checks Jays leaderboard*

... nevermind.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
They tinkered with a contender last year, put together a team that was expected to contend, and contended.

They made some bigger moves this year out of necessity, put together a team that was expected to contend, and they look bad.

Their track record is pretty good unless you want to base your entire analysis of their tenure on a three week stretch.

Last years team was AA's build, every major part was acquired by AA, doing barely nothing is not something you can pin your hat on and say hey the team didn't implode so they get "good" points, no it does not work that way.

Any person who's played competitive sport at any level and has experienced father time can tell you as you age your reaction times slow, your propensity to get injured increases. We have one of the oldest, if not the oldest team in the bigs, the MLB channel did an expose on the Jays declining ability to hit the fast ball, year over year for the last 3 years there has been a steady decline, maybe its just coincidence or maybe its an indication that our aging lineup is past its prime. Shatkin's answer to an aging team, drop one productive slugger for 2 less productive aging players. Not saying that is the only thing that makes me question their vision for this team, but its one of a few things that make me think these guys are either waiting for this team to bottom out or they are simply inept.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Last years team was AA's build, every major part was acquired by AA, doing barely nothing is not something you can pin your hat on and say hey the team didn't implode so they get "good" points, no it does not work that way.

Any person who's played competitive sport at any level and has experienced father time can tell you as you age your reaction times slow, your propensity to get injured increases. We have one of the oldest, if not the oldest team in the bigs, the MLB channel did an expose on the Jays declining ability to hit the fast ball, year over year for the last 3 years there has been a steady decline, maybe its just coincidence or maybe its an indication that our aging lineup is past its prime. Shatkin's answer to an aging team, drop one productive slugger for 2 less productive aging players. Not saying that is the only thing that makes me question their vision for this team, but its one of a few things that make me think these guys are either waiting for this team to bottom out or they are simply inept.

Regarding of the age of the team, the Jays had just made back to back ALCS' ... It's hard to justify to the casual fans to just 'blow it up' because they're getting older without any backlash. Instead they added lower cost, shorter term pieces into the mix as an attempt to make the team somewhat competitive. Even with league-average offense, the strength of the starting staff could carry the team if everything went right. If the team struggled it is pretty clear that Shatkins would start selling.

Low and behold the team has had an atrocious start .. Which is somewhat of a mixed blessing because it makes selling a rebuild to the fans a heck of a lot easier rather than have the Jays tread water teetering on one side or the other.

Barring a miraculous turnaround, Shatkins just needs to wait until the summer to start dismantling the team.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
No not at all, what have they done to address that issue?

Refrained from locking into an older Price for 7 years instead going with Happ and Estrada, two movable pieces that if they failed would be out in a couple years instead of 7.

Refrained from going to 5 years on Bautista.

Refrained from going long term on Edwin and instead signed a younger Morales for less money and term (risk).

Used the financial might to buy prospects from the Pirates to absorb a bad contract.

Filling in bullpen and bench with free agents on short term deals to avoid having to trade prospects to fill them.

Basically, we are willing to pay short term cash to buy players to help now without crippling our future finances while helping to shield the farm for enough time for prospects to develop and move up. They also look to have had a really good draft last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille