Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays baseball: now with 100% more wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Rogers is just going to dump it in the Scrooge McDuck money vault because they're so cheap.

gif-peter-griffin-duck-tales-money-432713.gif

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
So you really think, that Rogers is going to go back into the hinterland of oblivion by trading off assets and starting a re-build?

No, but if this team finishes with a bad enough record then they don't really have a choice, now do they? If you are bottom 3-5 bad with one of the oldest teams in the league (that isn't getting any younger next season), then there isn't much Rogers can do to force a run at the playoffs.

That is why it is imperative that this team doesn't go on some pointless run to hang around aimlessly while still missing the playoffs by 5+ games. In that situation it is entirely plausible that Rogers demands making a few moves and having another go next season, which will end with the exact same result because this simply isn't a playoff team anymore the way it is constructed.

They have record revenues from TV ratings, and 2.5 million tickets already sold for this year. They are not about to tank and rebuild. Just look at last nights game thread. It opened at 9:45, and didn't get a hit until 11:45. That is two hours! Just as fast as the game day thread has died for this team, its following across its target market will follow.

The point that you are missing is that this team is crap already and they haven't traded a single player yet. IE: the losses are coming and the seats will be empty regardless. There is no saving this buddy; the team is reliant on far too many really old players who aren't getting any better, and will in fact get even worse. What is your saving solution? You'll go into free agency next year and somehow patch all the holes and pray to god that Martin/Tulowitzki/etc/etc all have career years? Oh, while also likely replacing Estrada and Liriano? Its not happening.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well Baseball was on of the sports I played (pitcher) but by no means am I some pro. I will give my opinion though as I always do in hockey.

Time to trade like crazy. Sell sell sell.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I agree a rebuild is around the corner I just debate the value of tanking in mlb. I think with our financial resources we can be like the Yankees and still field a somewhat competitive team while hoarding prospects.

But you're talking about this season wherein we're already sitting dead last with multiple injuries. Our "financial resources" are irrelevant for this season as we're obviously not capable of doing anything to fix the situation we're currently in. In this case, there isn't anything to do except to hope for the highest pick possible which will speed up the upcoming rebuild. I'm not suggesting you "tank" by sitting players and playing scrubs; this team is doing well enough to lose on their own, I'm simply saying that if we're way out by the deadline that we do the right thing and sell off our short-term assets. There is no reason in that scenario to not trade guys like Estrada, Liriano, even Happ if he's healthy. I'd trade Donaldson as well but that is more of a ballsy sell for casual fans who don't really understand the situation we're sitting in.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
No, but if this team finishes with a bad enough record then they don't really have a choice, now do they? If you are bottom 3-5 bad with one of the oldest teams in the league (that isn't getting any younger next season), then there isn't much Rogers can do to force a run at the playoffs.

That is why it is imperative that this team doesn't go on some pointless run to hang around aimlessly while still missing the playoffs by 5+ games. In that situation it is entirely plausible that Rogers demands making a few moves and having another go next season, which will end with the exact same result because this simply isn't a playoff team anymore the way it is constructed.

The point that you are missing is that this team is crap already and they haven't traded a single player yet. IE: the losses are coming and the seats will be empty regardless. There is no saving this buddy; the team is reliant on far too many really old players who aren't getting any better, and will in fact get even worse. What is your saving solution? You'll go into free agency next year and somehow patch all the holes and pray to god that Martin/Tulowitzki/etc/etc all have career years? Oh, while also likely replacing Estrada and Liriano? Its not happening.

Shapiro and Atkins were specifically brought in to dismantle this team back in the summer of 2015. Remember, when he was hired, this was a middling old team, that got older when AA cleaned out the farm system to make its run. Guess what, it worked for the next 2 1/2 months, and ownership got a taste of the success on and off the field. So they didn't dare blow this thing up. They couldn't after Bautista hits that bomb against the Rangers. At the same time, that winter, they do nothing to improve and add to the core. The only thing, they did, was shuffle the deck chairs. Never stepped up once that winter to ADD TO THE CORE, just tried to keep the status quo. Low and behold, they again are a playoff team. So out of necessity, because of the continued success off and on the field, they increase the payroll for this year by approximately $30M, TO TRY AND STAY COMPETITIVE (Remember Shapiro scolded AA shortly after being hired, for cleaning out the farm). Just imagine, if they had increased the payroll after the 2015 season, like they did this past off season? The success, that this team has had, must be causing Shapiro fits, as he was brought in to clean up the mess. The WINDFALL PROFITS, that this has generated, has lead to everyone calling an audible, and they want to continue to count and fold "Dead Prime Ministers."

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
The Lansing trio (Bo Bichette, Vlad jr., Bradley Jones) are a nightmare for opposing pitchers !!

Also, Alford keeps hitting everything....

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Eric Thames is putting up quite the stat line in his return to the MLB :laugh:

It's funny when I seen an article about him the other day talking about his start the title read "Thames" and I said no way it's Eric then clicked it. Crazy. I met him years ago with Cecil, Alomar, and JPA during a Winter Tour and was thinking "meh Thames" but was excited about the others (this was before JP REALLY sucked.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Worse start in club history...and this club has dark history

Lol what? Dark history? We had 2 Championships in our first 17 years or something and for a long time after that were 3rd in the best division in baseball. Maybe surprising that an expansion team was better but after that how can you call it a dark history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia