Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays baseball: now with 100% more wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Season over. Start selling. Good luck digging out of this hole...and the hole isn't even done being dug up yet.

Tired of Bautista. He just needs to leave. Time to trade off our best assets, as mentioned, Donaldson.

It's real shame to have to start all over again because there were some really shrewd trades that put this team over the top that may be unlikely next go round.

Harold Ballard

Klutchperi Kapanen
Jan 27, 2017
Tired of Bautista. He just needs to leave. Time to trade off our best assets, as mentioned Donaldson.

Time to make like the Buds and flip script..have you seen how slow his (Bautista) bat speed is now?
They have several young good prospects, time to see if they can play.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Time to make like the Buds and flip script..have you seen how slow his (Bautista) bat speed is now?
Though it's a big, big hole, it's a bit early for a sell off.
But, if there IS one, it could be done in pretty quick and tidy fashion, I'd think.
JD would have loads of value and yield a ton.
Estrada would have value. Lots.
Happ if healthy, the same.
Liriano, plenty.
JB could be a lightning strike kinda add for a po team, when he picks it up.
None of the contracts are debilitating.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Wasn't happy with the decision to rest Tulo and Martin with their best hitter injured. Goins, Barney, Salty in against Sale? Ok.....

brandonlowi

Sep 20, 2015
In a potential fire sale, you assume you trade away all of your prime players for top prospects. But, I guarantee that management does not view this the same way.

My guess is they deal from their position of strength which, is pitching. So, I bet we see us trade a Stroman/Happ/Estrada for a current MLB player. In reality, this team has a lot of good pieces but, we're missing 1-2 guys. Unfortunately, those two guys need to be young, speedy, switch hitters lol.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Wasn't happy with the decision to rest Tulo and Martin with their best hitter injured. Goins, Barney, Salty in against Sale? Ok.....

May have been a bit more of a problem because it happened to be Sale pitching, but it's pretty standard to rest your starting catching and others who need it in a day game after a night game.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
May have been a bit more of a problem because it happened to be Sale pitching, but it's pretty standard to rest your starting catching and others who need it in a day game after a night game.

And I'm going to say that Martin, at the plate, isn't much of a better option than Salty right now :laugh:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I believe it was announced Atkins was given a 4-year deal when he came on board? Has word ever come out on the length of Shapiro's contract?

Presidents usually have longe tenures. Curious because I hope he is given a lot of runway to execute his plans both on the field and off (mainly the facelift of the Dome).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Have a lot of good pieces to be able to have a quick turn over. I think that is far more likely at this point than this team finding its game before it's too late.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

True
I just thought they REALLY needed a win. But I guess in the grand scheme of things, it's one game

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If there was a firesale, the rebuild would be very very quick as we have some very valuable pieces that will return blue chip prospects

Donaldson
Bautista
Tulo
Martin
Estrada
Happ
Liriano

As much as I'd hate to see JD go, it's gotta be done :( We go from the oldest team in the league to one of the youngest (if not the youngest) with a few blue chip prospects. Quick turnaround

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't think you'd get anything for Tulo and Martin due to their contracts/age
Same with JB

Bautista wouldn't be a problem if he starts hitting even somewhat well. A one year contract is always movable, even if it means retaining some of his salary.

If he keeps being terrible, that's an issue, obviously. And... none of that may matter because I'm pretty sure he still has 10-5 rights.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Rowdy is off to a slow start but that is common for him. He will be fine. He was off to a slow start in AA as well.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Rowdy is off to a slow start but that is common for him. He will be fine. He was off to a slow start in AA as well.

His plate discipline was a LOT better last year when he was off to a slow start, so this isn't quite as comparable as you make it out to be. He had a .345 OBP last year during his April slump with more walks than strikeouts, this year he's sitting with a .222 OBP and four times more strikeouts than walks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
5 years ago today Philip Humber threw a perfect game for the White Sox. He would finish that season with an ERA in the mid 6s.

4 years ago Humber played his final MLB games, pitching 50 entirely forgettable innings.

1 year ago Philip Humber retired with a career ERA of 5.31 over 371 innings.

There's really no point to mentioning this other than I saw the initial fact on ESPN's baseball home page and it reminded me of Humber's career tumble. But I guess if there's a takeaway here it's to remember the potentially fleeting, unpredictable nature of baseball players and to remember that sometimes really bad players can have really great days, so never fall in love with flashy performances that lack underlying substance. Though again, that's not really even material to the discussion of hte Blue Jays right now.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
His plate discipline was a LOT better last year when he was off to a slow start, so this isn't quite as comparable as you make it out to be. He had a .345 OBP last year during his April slump with more walks than strikeouts, this year he's sitting with a .222 OBP and four times more strikeouts than walks.

Either way it is a small sample lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad