Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays acquire TROY TULOWITZKI... did I mention his idol is Derek Jeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCarriere

I wouldn't rule our 1B/RF either, he has the bat and arm to play at either position.

Exactly. I already posted this but Reyes looked like he was already in a defensive decline (especially with his 8 errors in July), and right now there's nowhere else to put him. 3B, 2B, 1B, LF, RF and DH are all locked up. They had no choice but to ride out his declining glove and bat at SS.

With Tulo being 2 years younger, they gained at least 2-3 years of service time at SS, and 2-3 years from now in 2017-2018 Bautista and/or EE may be gone which opens up 1B and DH (and possibly LF/RF) for Tulo if he's no longer able to play SS. I'd ideally keep him in the IF just because of how awful the Ramirez experiment has been in Boston, but it's also hard to imagine Tulo would be that bad in the OF. That said his bat should also still be good enough to occupy the DH slot as well. Point being is 2-3 years from now there's lots of options for him, while for at least the next year there was literally nothing we could do with Reyes.

The other nice part of this trade is that even though Tulo is owed more money over the total remaining contract, every year annually he's owed less than Reyes. Tulo at 35 years old (in 2020) will cost less than Reyes at 35 (in 2018). So while for most other teams taking on Tulo would have been a salary increase, for the Jays it's actually a decrease.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
At least they're spelled right: :sarcasm:

mlbf_34831023_th_43.jpg

He's here already? He looks different. Bigger than I thought. ;)

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
The Jays thought they had a deal done for Carassaco from CLE per Bob Elliott.

Deal fell apart, and then AA went back to this deal.

My guess is Hoffman was offered in that deal but it didn't end up working out so they offered him up to Colorado and got it done quick.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
My guess is Hoffman was offered in that deal but it didn't end up working out so they offered him up to Colorado and got it done quick.

Bob Elliott says that Pompey, Norris, and Hoffman were all offered and Cleveland still turned that down. Obviously, for a legit ace under control like him, the amount you'd have to give up will never make you feel good.

LaCarriere

Bob Elliott says that Pompey, Norris, and Hoffman were all offered and Cleveland still turned that down. Obviously, for a legit ace under control like him, the amount you'd have to give up will never make you feel good.

I still think the breaking factor in the deal was Cleveland was trying to get rid of Swishers awful contract, and AA either didn't want to take on 7.5M of dead weight this year and 15M of dead weight next year, or ownership said no.

There's no reason for the Indians to move a guy like Carrasco without shipping an awful contract along with him. There was more to this deal than just prospects. Indians were looking for a salary dump that either AA or ownership wasn't willing to take on.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

I think that's a bit much, even though Carrasco is really good. Maybe if he had a better track record, you don't think twice about giving that up but still that's interesting.

Maybe Jays would have an easier time prying away Salazar instead though he would still cost a ton too.

I was just looking at Pompey's gamelog since going to Buffalo and its pretty hilarious. Dude's been on an insane tear and while the hitting + power he is showing is great, the 10 BB and 3K's in 11 games is awesome to see. He is ready to come back IMO.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
To all those upset about Troy not being in the lineup tonight:

If they can't beat the Phillies without him then they may as well just pack up their **** right now and go home

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I admit I haven't watched him but Carrasco's numbers this year aren't very good (not terrible but not great). Would it have been worth it (Norris, Pompey, Hoffman is rumoured)?

91Kadri91*

I admit I haven't watched him but Carrasco's numbers this year aren't very good (not terrible but not great). Would it have been worth it (Norris, Pompey, Hoffman is rumoured)?

What? Yes they are: 2.90 FIP, 2.73 xFIP, 2.7 WAR, 2.75 SIERA, good LD% and SwSt%.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

best not to look at ERA as your defining factor.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

huh? he's been a top 10 pitcher in baseball. Cleveland has terrible defense but I'm not really sure what numbers you're looking at.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So Jeff Hoffman, I mean Scott Barnes and company is pitching a no hitter for NH through 7 tonight

It's true though, sometimes you got to man up.
Not like he is doing anything to help the team lately but can cry about it

Jose just said it was bittersweet because he's losing someone he felt like family in Reyes. He also said it wasn't a need meaning we still need starting pitching. Not meaning it was a dumb move. It only didn't make sense if we don't go get a starter as well.

If you read bad into what Bautista said you're not udnerstanding it, or reading an exert out of context, or you just want to be contrary and troll. It's one of the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad