Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays acquire TROY TULOWITZKI... did I mention his idol is Derek Jeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm ecstatic with the deal again :laugh:

Just needed 10 minutes to be upset about Jeff Hoffman.

Back to reality :)

Donaldson and Tulowitzki in the left infield. I keep saying it, but damn...

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Someone is going to have to close the other thread. Insanity prevails

Scion

May 25, 2012
So the left side definitely has to be up there now.

No kidding...

As a fan I absolutely love this, but as a rational individual I also worry about Tulo's declining defense, age, injury history and contract. As far as I'm concerned the Jays have to make a strong push now, and that includes adding a SP or two. This team's window is this season and next. Prospect's are great, but when you have a core of: Bautista, Donaldson, Encarnacion, Tulowitzki and Martin all aged 30 or above you go the Detroit Tigers route and expend every dollar and prospect you can to try to win. It is what it is...

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Think about it this way. We have Tulo/Donaldson/Martin under control for another 3-4 years. We still have a solid prospect pool and there's still several drafts to come, by the time it arrives that all those guys are done, given how well we've drafted, it's not implausible we could have a new wave of prospects ready to come when those guys are done, or maybe even up in one last hurrah years from now.

leafs nation27*

If we were going to give up Hoffman , why didn't we give him up for an actual ace like David Price. Im happy with tulo but still mind-boggled at how inept AA is . Oh well we cant do anything now , happy we got tulo but pissed we gave up hoffman and did not get a ace or good picther back.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Statistics would show that Hoffman is more likely to bust than be anything we regret. Especially with the Rockies.

Right?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No kidding...

As a fan I absolutely love this, but as a rational individual I also worry about Tulo's declining defense, age, injury history and contract. As far as I'm concerned the Jays have to make a strong push now, and that includes adding a SP or two. This team's window is this season and next. Prospect's are great, but when you have a core of: Bautista, Donaldson, Encarnacion, Tulowitzki and Martin all aged 30 or above you go the Detroit Tigers route and expend every dollar and prospect you can to try to win. It is what it is...

JD is 29 ;)

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
No kidding...

With ownerships reluctance to spend, I doubt AA is going to just go out and buy pitchers. Have to keep some prospects like Norris, Osuna, SRF, Boyd cause they'll be cheap, and they may end up providing good value for their contracts.

I'd love to see AA trade for a pitcher with term. Would be more than okay with trading guys like srf or boyd for that.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wasn't around back then, but Plesac on MLBN alluded to the Jays of the late 80s early 90s being in on everyone and not being afraid to flip impact guys. They were the top dogs, and while the current Jays certainly haven't shared that success, I don't think you can help but admire the effort Jays management has gone to in order to improve the ball club. They haven't acquired that TOR pitcher just yet, and while Dickey was that risk before, if Elliot's comments hold true (re: offer for Carrasco) then we know they haven't stopped trying to get that guy.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I have a really bad feeling the 3rd guy is Alford.

I would assume that the prospects names are coming out as they get a chance to contact them to tell them first. Castro knows so they were able to contact Buffalo, Hoffman knows so they were able to contact NH. Dunedin was rained out so they may have went to sleep, and unable to contact Alford for whatever reason because of that. Could be anybody in Dunedin based on that reason but I'm a worry wart.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm ecstatic with the deal again :laugh:

Just needed 10 minutes to be upset about Jeff Hoffman.

Back to reality :)

Donaldson and Tulowitzki in the left infield. I keep saying it, but damn...

I said it in the other thread before I realized it was closed (because I left the room for 20 minutes :laugh:) but Donaldson/Tulo/Travis/Smoak: Best defensive IF in baseball? A case could be made. If you call up Pompey now too, him in LF with Pillar/Bautista in CF/RF makes for a very nice defensive OF too. Suddenly you've got a team that's top flight at hte plate and in the field. Just becomes that pesky starting pitching issue to really make inroads on.

So Hawkins replacing tepera? I would assume he's going down

Personally I like Tepera more than Schultz, but it's really just my own gut feeling since the stats are basically a wash, tipping marginally in Schultz' favor.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Statistics would show that Hoffman is more likely to bust than be anything we regret. Especially with the Rockies.

Right?

The general nature of pitching prospects shows that, yes.

TINSTAAPP.

^Google that, if you don't know what it means.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Right?

depends if he can regain his dominating stuff. The best way to pitch in coors is strike guys out. If he turns into more of a pitch to contact type he might struggle.

then there is injuries...another TJS could be the end of him....which was probably in the jays mind.

There is never a guarantee with pitching prospects.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have a really bad feeling the 3rd guy is Alford.

I would assume that the prospects names are coming out as they get a chance to contact them to tell them first. Castro knows so they were able to contact Buffalo, Hoffman knows so they were able to contact NH. Dunedin was rained out so they may have went to sleep, and unable to contact Alford for whatever reason because of that. Could be anybody in Dunedin based on that reason but I'm a worry wart.

I get the sense that if it was someone as notable as Alford we probably would've heard about it already even if they couldn't contact him.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I will say this when aa mentioned they had stuff in place with roster players a week or two back i didn't expect Reyes to be the roster player.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I will say this when aa mentioned they had stuff in place with roster players a week or two back i didn't expect Reyes to be the roster player.

Say what you will about what the team has done on the field, but nobody does super-covert ninja deals quite like AA.

Jays need to do some tinkering? BOOM! Marlins mega-deal

Need to look at shoring up the team this last off-season? BOOOOM! Donaldson.

Gotta look at upgrading for a playoff run, probably pitching. BOOOOOOOOOOM! Tulo!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
depends if he can regain his dominating stuff. The best way to pitch in coors is strike guys out. If he turns into more of a pitch to contact type he might struggle.

then there is injuries...another TJS could be the end of him....which was probably in the jays mind.

There is never a guarantee with pitching prospects.

We all thought Drabek was our ace of the future. A second tjs can be a real issue.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I must say I'm pressed that aa still finds a way to pull off these huge deals with none of it being leaked ahead of time. There was never one mention of tulo coming here

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I said it in the other thread before I realized it was closed (because I left the room for 20 minutes :laugh:) but Donaldson/Tulo/Travis/Smoak: Best defensive IF in baseball? A case could be made. If you call up Pompey now too, him in LF with Pillar/Bautista in CF/RF makes for a very nice defensive OF too. Suddenly you've got a team that's top flight at hte plate and in the field. Just becomes that pesky starting pitching issue to really make inroads on.

Personally I like Tepera more than Schultz, but it's really just my own gut feeling since the stats are basically a wash, tipping marginally in Schultz' favor.

Since we'll likely have that whole infield back next season, it should be able to benefit Sanchez well if he goes back to the rotation (which I'm sure he will)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad