Dreger: Blue Jackets "not done" yet

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Makes sense for them to go all in, after Panarin and Bob leave they won't be this stacked on paper for a while. Not like they have elite prospects waiting to make the roster at this point.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I mean the Duchene trade just speaks that they're going all in. But I think the smart thing would have been to trade Bob and Panarin, but for all we know JK didn't get offers that he claimed was good enough.

Did I miss something or is the trade deadline not until Monday?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
You can somehow flip Panarin for Huberdeau...by adding Werenski.

Could also be a sign and trade with another prospect coming Florida's way. Iunno, definitely a dream scenario for CBJ and not likely as Florida could just wait until the offseason if they believe they have him anyways.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
If he can somehow flip Panarin for Huberdeau and then resign Duchene that is a pretty decent top 6 moving forward with a norris candidate Dman and blue chip d prospect still on the roster long term.

Agree, this would be an absolute dream scenario.

I also wouldn't rule out Winnipeg -- would love to somehow get Roslovic back in a deal for Bread (probably also a dream).

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Stone going to Nashville, seems plausible.

Nashville has 1st rounders and prospects that Ottawa would covet.
Not getting an opportunity to discuss a possible extension (whether it's immediate or not) might be a deal breaker. Wasn't that one of the reasons that ended Duchene to NSH negotiations? I'm pretty sure I saw a tweet about that.

That being said, I'd love to see Stone in Preds.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
So is the thinking Columbus traded for Duchene in hopes of extending him and trading Panarin - whom they have no chance of re-signing - to recoup the assets they dealt to Ottawa?

Even if they don't re-sign Duchene, at least they (ideally) will end up about equal on what they gave up for Matt/got for Panarin.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Why is it when we get these "not done yet" posts after a big trade, almost nothing happens?

This is a forum for hockey rumors. Don't click the threads if you don't like hockey rumors. Rumors don't mean things will happen, but it does mean that the rest of us have to read about annoying people like you complaining about rumors not coming true.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

I hate these kinds of headlines.. its clickbait. OF COURSE there is more coming with the whole Panarin thing. They are going to trade him for at least as much as they got Duchesne for.
Aditionnally, EVERY TEAM WORKS UNTIL DEADLINE.. even if it's just keeping up with the latest news.. which means no one is done.

its like saying "montreal is talking to chicago!" .... every team talks to every team! It's straight up good business and is literally a job requirement for DGs.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Makes sense for them to go all in, after Panarin and Bob leave they won't be this stacked on paper for a while. Not like they have elite prospects waiting to make the roster at this point.
Lots of missteps by them with this run imo. Odds of them winning are really low. There's a good chance they end up losing Panarin, Bob, Duchene and everything they just traded for a first or second round exit. Could have kept the assets, moved Panarin and Bob for best returns, gone fishing on UFA day and been better next year.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Lots of missteps by them with this run imo. Odds of them winning are really low. There's a good chance they end up losing Panarin, Bob, Duchene and everything they just traded for a first or second round exit. Could have kept the assets, moved Panarin and Bob for best returns, gone fishing on UFA day and been better next year.

They don't really have much to look forward to either way, any runs in the near future would be contingent on Dubois, Werenski, Jones going superhuman. They're not gonna sign any star players as UFAs and there's no Pettersson waiting in the wings.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
So is the thinking Columbus traded for Duchene in hopes of extending him and trading Panarin - whom they have no chance of re-signing - to recoup the assets they dealt to Ottawa?

Even if they don't re-sign Duchene, at least they (ideally) will end up about equal on what they gave up for Matt/got for Panarin.

This is EXACTLY what I think the hope is. I think they will also pull off at least one more deal or two on a smaller scale for a Brassard type or depth D.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Kapanen for Anderson

Add more Speed and Skill to play with Duchene and Panarin
This is a post the shows you dont know much about Anderson the guy's game is based on his speed and his skill would be negligible less than Kaps the only difference is Anderson has a physicality that our team thrives on.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I'm going to laugh so hard if they load-up, don't trade Panarin, and they lose in the first round. I like how aggressive Jaro is being to improve his team, but holding onto Panarin is non-sensical if he has made it clear he won't re-sign.

It's risky but god forbid a GM put his balls out there and try to make a big splash and give it a shot. They could hang onto a later 1st and a couple okay prospects in order to......not suck as much after this year I guess? This is an interesting gamble for a team that has yet to get over the hump and I would assume has fans that have started to get frustrated. Bravo I say, assuming they truly aren't done and can add a little more.

Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad