Friedman: Blue Jackets looking to acquire Centers

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is hilarious. Trade away your best center for a winger, now looking for a center.

You do realize that much of the Jackets fanbase considers this whole thing to be a disaster for the franchise?

Being forced to lose your only good center will make your team worse, which I said so at the time, and we've all seen it happen on the ice.

Jarmo undoubtedly knew it or he wouldn't have waited until he absolutely had to to make the trade. He could have had Laine+Roslovic much earlier but he wanted a center.

Not at all the case for me. After hearing so many of their fans proclaim so quickly that they absolutely robbed us, or fleeced us, or whatever on that trade, I don’t feel sorry for them one bit.

Most of the people who thought Laine >> Dubois are just super-casual fans from around the league. But I guess I should take a cue from you and just start hating on the Jets?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Give us Domi and our 3rd back and you can have Danault. Your coach will love him.

Of course Columbus would do this. It's not Jackets fans that you'll need to convince on this one, it's Bergevin.

With Strome's continued struggle to find consistency and the emergence of Suter and Kurashev he would be good potential guess for a C to Jackets who wont cost much and who has upside that still hasn't been tapped if he can get his game together

No interest. He's too much like the "inconsistent young centers with upside" that we have.

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, great, thanks for showing us stats on Monahan without his most prominent linemate. 300 minutes in the last 4 years is virtually useless information.

It's a total sample of 1600 minutes where he consistently produced like a third liner, not 300. Is that still useless? Funny that you accuse me of cherry picking data, but you seem to have no problem cherry picking the data I provided.

Go ahead and take all of Domi's best linemates/most significant minutes away from him and see if his numbers slip.

Domi's most common linemates in Montreal were Drouin and Lehkonen, he produced at ~2.2 p/60 with them over his 2 years there, which is right about his average across all his linemates there.

Picking and choosing stats to fit a narrative is useless. You don't discuss Gaudreaus stats without Monahan also slipping.

Funny how Gaudreau's stats are hardly impacted at all. He produces regardless of linemates.

Youre devaluing Monahan with a particular stat subset and just providing a comment "Oh Domi has been just as productive over the last 2.5 years" instead of doing a similar comparison.

5v5 production is not some cherry picked stat subset. It is universally accepted as one of the best ways to measure offensive production for an NHL player. And Domi has been a better producer at 5v5 over the last 2.5 years. His struggles without Gaudreau just add more context to those struggles.

Regardless, Monahan would still play with the teams top wingers if he were to go to Columbus. While Domi has spent stints on the 4th line of every team he plays for because of how inconsistent he is.

You don't know that. You think Tortorella is going to play Monahan just because? He scratched Laine... Monahan is a -28 player in his career, I think Tortorella would eat him alive.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Regardless, Monahan would still play with the teams top wingers if he were to go to Columbus.

I don't think he would. Columbus doesn't just need a good scorer at 1C right now, they're loaded with shooters. They need someone who can defend and do the transition game. That's why we're having this thread. It's not because Jack Roslovic isn't scoring enough, he has 14 pts in 17 games. Monahan isn't good at the things Columbus needs, and not good at the things that Tortorella demands of his centers. I think he would be put on 2nd line wing. That said, I'd take Monahan over Domi 10/10.

Reactions: Fro

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think he would. Columbus doesn't just need a good scorer at 1C right now, they're loaded with shooters. They need someone who can defend and do the transition game. That's why we're having this thread. It's not because Jack Roslovic isn't scoring enough, he has 14 pts in 17 games. Monahan isn't good at the things Columbus needs, and not good at the things that Tortorella demands of his centers. I think he would be put on 2nd line wing. That said, I'd take Monahan over Domi 10/10.

Columbus needs to stop giving up so many goals as they need a solid(two way) top six center. Problem is, pretty much any team that has that piece isn't going to give it up easy. Danault has all of zero goals, even Wennberg would have had more at this point.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Best bet is just to go after someone like Patrick, Frost, Glass or Poehling.

Not much regarding older players unless you give up Werenski or Jones.

See if one of these guys elsewhere can come in and have things click.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I like how you concluded that based off of 334 minutes of play from 2017 to 2020 LMAO!!

And you posted a few tables too to pretend it was deep analysis lol.

It's based off of 1600+ mins. He's never been productive without Gaudreau, sorry.

But yes he's been getting especially caved in without Gaudreau in the last few years. Crazy that in only 334 mins apart he got lit up for 30 goals against lol.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Hard deal to make...Decent centers are just hard to find...CLB should likely just wait and see what crops up in the offseason

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Tierney for Savard.

Tierney is 4 years younger than Savard, but Ottawa needs a RD that can play full time with Chabot.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Top 6 centres are hard to get, no one typically is willing to trade them, especially ones who aren't overpaid/old. Jets & Habs (just two examples) spent many years searching for one via trade/FA/drafting.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Hard deal to make...Decent centers are just hard to find...CLB should likely just wait and see what crops up in the offseason
Well, that's why I suggested Danault - to get their hands on him before the offseason and to have a better chance to sign him.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
They should go hard for RNH and Blake Coleman in the offseason. Not super high end but should be very good for their wingers and system. Tampa can't afford Coleman after this year and if Edmonton keeps faltering they may be enticed trade RNH during the season. Something like Domi + Nash + Merzliniks for RNH + Turris, who knows

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
No interest. He's too much like the "inconsistent young centers with upside" that we have.

Do tell me where you've hidden our young centers with upside that have a near PPG season under their belt, I can't seem to find them.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
This is hilarious. Trade away your best center for a winger, now looking for a center.

Do you usually remove every bit of context to prove a point?

If so, that's pretty stupid.

Most of the people who thought Laine >> Dubois are just super-casual fans from around the league. But I guess I should take a cue from you and just start hating on the Jets?

I'm gonna disagree strongly with that. Laine is >>>> PLD. The opposite seems absolutely ludicrous to me. PLD is a very good player. Laine is one of those once every 10 year goal scorers.

If the Jackets re-sign Laine and fill that center hole, the Jackets go from winning the trade to cup contenders immediately.

(not a super-casual fan - even of the Jackets ;))

Last edited:

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Jackets can have duchene back. He was decent for them when there. Give us 3 pucks, 1 new goal horn light bulb and a pack of dentyne ice and he’s yours. Hell, we will toss in cousins too just for taking him.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Habs should be open to dealing Danault to CBJ + an extension. Jarmo and Bergevin have a relationship...
24 has been underwhelming and much of it has to do with his UFA status. He's never been a scorer, and always been a puck-winner, playmaker who shuts down opposing top C's. Lowball offers will be ignored ;)
As an elite, shutdown C in his prime (just turned 28) he has value (especially with an extension)
He's a torts type of C.
Habs needs: a PMD, gritty, scoring forward, forward prospects or a high pick.
any combo of those assets.
1 for 1 works if the player is pro-ready

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Best bet is just to go after someone like Patrick, Frost, Glass or Poehling.

Not much regarding older players unless you give up Werenski or Jones.

See if one of these guys elsewhere can come in and have things click.

Do tell me where you've hidden our young centers with upside that have a near PPG season under their belt, I can't seem to find them.

I'll reply to you both here. The Jackets have three young skilled centers right now, Texier (21) and Roslovic and Stenlund (both 24). To varying degrees they're all missing some of the finer points of playing the position - especially faceoffs, d-zone, and transition play. Put them in the offensive zone and they have talent. Roslovic has been the most consistent, with 14 pts in his last 15 games. It's the stuff other than scoring that is the bigger issue.

Dylan Strome, also soon to be 24, has some of the same issues. Except he has been at center in the league for a lot longer, and still hasn't figured that stuff out. He's what we don't want Roslovic and Stenlund to turn into. I don't doubt whether Roslovic could score .9 points per game if he got 1C deployment, but if you can't do the whole job then you can't keep the job. I think you can see why Strome doesn't really solve the issue.

For Patrick, Frost, Glass, and Poehling, I just see more very green centermen. Some of them might be a little better in some ways, I don't know, but you should see why more inexperienced centers isn't the solution to our inexperienced center problem.

Habs should be open to dealing Danault to CBJ + an extension. Jarmo and Bergevin have a relationship...
24 has been underwhelming and much of it has to do with his UFA status. He's never been a scorer, and always been a puck-winner, playmaker who shuts down opposing top C's. Lowball offers will be ignored ;)
As an elite, shutdown C in his prime (just turned 28) he has value (especially with an extension)
He's a torts type of C.
Habs needs: a PMD, gritty, scoring forward, forward prospects or a high pick.
any combo of those assets.
1 for 1 works if the player is pro-ready

I think the Jackets would swap Domi+3rd for Danault no questions asked, but if you wanted something dearer to the Jackets I'd have some questions. Don't the Habs intend on icing a good team for the playoffs? And isn't Danault kind of important for that? Wouldn't Suzuki and JK be hard pressed to take care of all of the top six center and shutdown duties? Has Danault been so bad that you don't think it would matter?

Reactions: Viqsi
Nov 24, 2006
Jackets can have duchene back. He was decent for them when there. Give us 3 pucks, 1 new goal horn light bulb and a pack of dentyne ice and he’s yours. Hell, we will toss in cousins too just for taking him.
Take out the goal horn light and we may have a deal.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
This. Boston went through 2000s to 2012 saying Bergeron wasn't a top C. The uproar that he was chosen for team Canada over Mike Fisher is still laughable today.

You don't need a 100 point McDavid but a Bergeron Krejci combo can take you to 3 Cup finals in 10 years.
O’Reilly-Schenn seems to be working pretty well for the Blues, but they’re stacked everywhere else, too.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I'll reply to you both here. The Jackets have three young skilled centers right now, Texier (21) and Roslovic and Stenlund (both 24). To varying degrees they're all missing some of the finer points of playing the position - especially faceoffs, d-zone, and transition play. Put them in the offensive zone and they have talent. Roslovic has been the most consistent, with 14 pts in his last 15 games. It's the stuff other than scoring that is the bigger issue.

Dylan Strome, also soon to be 24, has some of the same issues. Except he has been at center in the league for a lot longer, and still hasn't figured that stuff out. He's what we don't want Roslovic and Stenlund to turn into. I don't doubt whether Roslovic could score .9 points per game if he got 1C deployment, but if you can't do the whole job then you can't keep the job. I think you can see why Strome doesn't really solve the issue.

For Patrick, Frost, Glass, and Poehling, I just see more very green centermen. Some of them might be a little better in some ways, I don't know, but you should see why more inexperienced centers isn't the solution to our inexperienced center problem.

I think the Jackets would swap Domi+3rd for Danault no questions asked, but if you wanted something dearer to the Jackets I'd have some questions. Don't the Habs intend on icing a good team for the playoffs? And isn't Danault kind of important for that? Wouldn't Suzuki and JK be hard pressed to take care of all of the top six center and shutdown duties? Has Danault been so bad that you don't think it would matter?
don't want Domi back. not going to happen. I know a habs fan proposed that, but it's ludicrous that bergevin wants him back. Danault has been up and down. His line continues to have solid possession numbers but he's lost a lot of his offensive game and face-offs have been up and down. This is entirely because of his contract situation and the distraction of it - especially after it was leaked he refused the 5 mill for 5/6 years.
He didn't fall off a cliff as he grows into his prime.
Do habs need him? yes. He insulates 20, 21 and 24 year old centremen. Do they sign him? maybe if he comes down off of this 5 mill number - which he isn't getting in montreal anymore.
I don't believe habs are a cup contender yet. at best their a 2nd round team. They're still retooling, and i'd consider moving danault if the price was right. And if habs make him available, there will be teams willing to offer something of usefulness back

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Duchene has a knack of cratering teams. He’s bad luck!

Reactions: Columbus Jack

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Tierney for Savard.

Tierney is 4 years younger than Savard, but Ottawa needs a RD that can play full time with Chabot.
Seems pretty reasonable to me.

* * *​
I'd rather go for future considerations - specifically, the consideration that as soon as he drops below 1/3 points per game or less than 2/3 games played in a season, he automatically goes back to Nashville. ;)

Reactions: maplepred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad