GDT: Blue Jackets @ Devils 1pm MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not me, not the team. Just the people who want to assure me that this was a good loss (as in the team played well). I'm fine with losing out the season at this point. I'm numb to the losing, but I'm not going to pretend this team has played well.

You came here said you didn't watch the game and then insinuated the Devils played bad though...

The last few games have been miles better than the 10 game losing streak that it seems like everyone stopped watching. Then people come back here and act like the Devils still are playing the same way.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Not me, not the team. Just the people who want to assure me that this was a good loss (as in the team played well). I'm fine with losing out the season at this point. I'm numb to the losing, but I'm not going to pretend this team has played well.

When you decisively outplay one of the best teams in the league with your young players being large reasons for this, then yeah, I think this can be categorized as a good loss.

NJ is over 50% possession-wise over the last while. They haven't been that bad.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
When you decisively outplay one of the best teams in the league with your young players being large reasons for this, then yeah, I think this can be categorized as a good loss.

Decisively outplaying a team while giving up 2 penalty shots, 2 SHGs, and losing 4-1.

Alrighty. I think far too many of you get caught up in the unwavering support of Dano and Steve during broadcasts, thus think any time they don't get dominated that they somehow out played the other team.

They played well, don't get me wrong. But to say they decisively outplayed the Jackets....no.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I think for the Devils the results this year in wins and losses speak for themselves. Hopefully the moral victories can translate into actual growth and improvement next season, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
After a certain point, when you've only won one game this month, the results form a pattern. The pattern suggests this team does not play NHL hockey very well.

10 game losing streak yes.

Since then, the Devils played a great game against the Flyers. The Penguins game was just ok, but it was a way better showing than the road trip out west.

Last night, the Blue Jackets scored on two penalty shots and scored one goal by banking the puck off Schneider. If anything, I'll allow people to complain about Schneider's play in this one but let's not start to pretend that the Devils played poorly and especially not if you're just scoreboard watching.

In all honesty though, I can't recall the Blue Jackets having any quality chances or sustained offensive zone time in the game last night.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Decisively outplaying a team while giving up 2 penalty shots, 2 SHGs, and losing 4-1.

Alrighty. I think far too many of you get caught up in the unwavering support of Dano and Steve during broadcasts, thus think any time they don't get dominated that they somehow out played the other team.

They played well, don't get me wrong. But to say they decisively outplayed the Jackets....no.

I watched the game on mute, so I have no idea what you are talking about here.

The Devils controlled 60% of shot attempts and I'd reckon had many more high-danger scoring chances, though I cant find the numbers.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Arguing with someone who didn't watch the game, yet, is adamant about her stand... I love this place.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I watched the game on mute, so I have no idea what you are talking about here.

The Devils controlled 60% of shot attempts and I'd reckon had many more high-danger scoring chances, though I cant find the numbers.

Not you personally, I am referring to this board in general. Constantly hearing Steve and Dano claim they "deserved a better outcome" all the time influences some people on here. When in reality, they make that claim every single game the Devils don't get dominated (and even some games they do...).

The Jackets had the 3 best chances in the game yesterday. That isn't even debatable. 2 well deserved penalty shots and the wide open dish across the mouth of the crease to whatever CBJ player inexplicably wiffed on. Dano claimed it was saved though, either way it was a glorious chance. Not to mention the only Devs goal was off a flukey bounce at the blueline and then assisted by a CBJ player as Henrique lost possession of the puck.

Again, evenly played game overall does not = Devils decisively outplayed the opposing team.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
10 game losing streak yes.

Since then, the Devils played a great game against the Flyers. The Penguins game was just ok, but it was a way better showing than the road trip out west.

Last night, the Blue Jackets were awarded two penalty shots and scored one goal by banking the puck off Schneider. If anything, I'll allow people to complain about Schneider's play in this one but let's not start to pretend that the Devils played poorly.

In all honesty though, I can't recall the Blue Jackets having any quality chances or sustained offensive zone time in the game last night.

The Devils had a great game against the Flyers, sure, but even the blind hen finds a corn kernel, so it's limited cause for celebration. I guess you can call a game where we lose and give up six goals okay (though that betrays how low standards have sunk for this team). But honestly, people excused our dreadful December, so I'm not surprised that our miserable March is also seen as acceptable--something to be discounted as "oh, yeah, that time like three games ago when we lost ten games in a row." Losing ten games in a row in the modern NHL is pretty hard but Devils managed to pull it off.

I mean, I guess I'm glad that Devils fans have found ways to be happy with a 4-1 loss because we didn't look totally dominated or whatever, but we should probably keep in mind that we are likely that team that everyone looks past and knows they can beat now. Next season--when the results really count for us again--will probably be the better barometer of how much progress the team (especially the young players) have made.

I'm not trying to be negative, just pointing out that we are looking for positives in a 4-1 loss. I think that alone provides a stark commentary on where we are as a franchise as we close out this season. Of course, that is just my perspective, and I do hope the optimists around here are right in their perceived progress of the young players.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
*Constantly complains about wanting to be better*

*Cannot handle a rebuild*

Never change. :laugh:

If you actually watched the game (you should since you care sooooo much about wanting to be better) then you would have seen their best overall game in a long time. (Minus the Flyers because we just have their number) The reason they lost was a horrendous powerplay and Schneider being off again. Obviously they have problems scoring, this is a work in progress and we need to get more talent. If you actually care about the future of this team and wanting to see them improve then yesterday is exactly what you wanted to see. All of the young kids that you want to see play well played well, and they stood out over the vets.

It is amazing that people expect this team to be playoff contenders after only TWO YEARS of rebuilding when we had the oldest roster in the league and our best prospect was Boucher. What we need to do is hope for a top 3 pick, draft well regardless of our position, look for bargain trades and maybe dip into free agency. This team can look drastically different again in September. Believe the process. Some people act like we have been rebuilding since 2013...nope, since 2015.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Columbus is a tough team because of Bobrovsky. He deserves the vezina this year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Columbus is a tough team because of Bobrovsky. He deserves the vezina this year.

He plays very unorthodox which I think throws players off. His lateral movement is also incredible and combined with playing deep in his crease allows Columbus to play the way they do.

Columbus does a terrific job protecting the house and not letting high quality chances in the slot which definitely allows Bobrovsky to play deep in his crease. The off chance a play goes cross-ice Bobrovsky seemed to be exceptional at getting over and Columbus would close off any backdoor plays.

Really a case of a team system and the goaltenders strengths aligning perfectly.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not you personally, I am referring to this board in general. Constantly hearing Steve and Dano claim they "deserved a better outcome" all the time influences some people on here.

I really don't think anyone gets influenced by Steve and Dano considering all the mocking they get here, and because everyone knows Dano is a huge homer. Advanced stats have a lot more sway with people here than anyone on the broadcast, that's where you see the disconnect between praising production and praising style points.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
*Constantly complains about wanting to be better*

*Cannot handle a rebuild*

Never change. :laugh:

If you actually watched the game (you should since you care sooooo much about wanting to be better) then you would have seen their best overall game in a long time. (Minus the Flyers because we just have their number) The reason they lost was a horrendous powerplay and Schneider being off again. Obviously they have problems scoring, this is a work in progress and we need to get more talent. If you actually care about the future of this team and wanting to see them improve then yesterday is exactly what you wanted to see. All of the young kids that you want to see play well played well, and they stood out over the vets.

It is amazing that people expect this team to be playoff contenders after only TWO YEARS of rebuilding when we had the oldest roster in the league and our best prospect was Boucher. What we need to do is hope for a top 3 pick, draft well regardless of our position, look for bargain trades and maybe dip into free agency. This team can look drastically different again in September. Believe the process. Some people act like we have been rebuilding since 2013...nope, since 2015.

I'm fine with losing at this point, but I think pretending that we are losing and playing well is a little out to lunch. If you support a team that does little but lose, great for you, but many fans will not, especially financially. When you sign up for a rebuild that isn't even competitive (this year, we certainly haven't been competitive), then you can expect fan support to drop.

Similar to if a company starts producing a bad product, they can anticipate dropped sales. Typically, customer loyalty doesn't extend to indefinitely continuing to purchase a disappointing product. At the end of the day, pro sports is a product being sold to me. My loyalty to the Devils brand really depends on how good the Devils brand is.

I already count this season as a total loss, so I'm fine with losing out the season, as I've said before. I hope we have a good draft and a good off-season and can come out with a team that isn't bottom three in the league next season. If not, my support of the team will continue to drop. You can judge that as you will and I don't really care. It's my time and money being spent when I make my decision to support this team to whatever degree I do. I try to use both judiciously.

As I say, let's hope the future is as bright as so many around here portray it to be. Maybe it is so bright that it blinds my eyes to it in the present. :dunno:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I hope you are in the minority, fans like that are reasons why franchises eventually get relocated if they cannot find success on the ice for a while. So I will indeed judge it. Also the logic is not there. If you want to be better then you should embrace the total rebuild because that is how we are going to get better again. You do not embrace it at all, you complain and do not even watch the games anymore and do not care if our kids play great even though the team lost. So why bother even coming here just to complain and poke at the fans who actually WATCHED the game and saw a well played game by the kids yesterday? Rubbish.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Devils had a great game against the Flyers, sure, but even the blind hen finds a corn kernel, so it's limited cause for celebration. I guess you can call a game where we lose and give up six goals okay (though that betrays how low standards have sunk for this team). But honestly, people excused our dreadful December, so I'm not surprised that our miserable March is also seen as acceptable--something to be discounted as "oh, yeah, that time like three games ago when we lost ten games in a row." Losing ten games in a row in the modern NHL is pretty hard but Devils managed to pull it off.

I mean, I guess I'm glad that Devils fans have found ways to be happy with a 4-1 loss because we didn't look totally dominated or whatever, but we should probably keep in mind that we are likely that team that everyone looks past and knows they can beat now. Next season--when the results really count for us again--will probably be the better barometer of how much progress the team (especially the young players) have made.

I'm not trying to be negative, just pointing out that we are looking for positives in a 4-1 loss. I think that alone provides a stark commentary on where we are as a franchise as we close out this season. Of course, that is just my perspective, and I do hope the optimists around here are right in their perceived progress of the young players.

At this point, I don't really care about the score. Wins are nice and all, but they mean nothing. Hall can put up a hat trick and we win but if the rest of the kids are anchors that win would be useless. I'm not going to judge good game or bad game based of two penalty shots, weak effort defensively on a power play, and Schneider not coming in clutch when the rest of the time we played well.

I care more about how the team plays. Are they competing well? Are we managing to sustain pressure offensively? Are we managing to break the puck out well? Are we defending well? So on and so forth. Moreso I'm looking at whether the kids we have in the future are doing that well; I don't really expect to win when we have as many young players who still haven't established themselves as NHL regulars at forward. Those players don't look overwhelmed and have had solid games of late.

I keep saying this, but we will win when we finally have quality depth players sprinkled through our line-up. Look at the Blue Jackets or Capitals or Penguins for examples of that. Each line has basically two veterans, and quality ones at that, with one kid on it. Compare that to what we're icing aside from Hall-Zajac-Palmieri.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
At this point, I don't really care about the score. Wins are nice and all, but they mean nothing. Hall can put up a hat trick and we win but if the rest of the kids are anchors that win would be useless. I'm not going to judge good game or bad game based of two penalty shots, terrible power plays, and Schneider not coming in clutch when the rest of the time we played well.

I care more about how the team plays. Are they competing well? Are we managing to sustain pressure offensively? Are we managing to break the puck out well? Are we defending well? So on and so forth. Moreso I'm looking at whether the kids we have in the future are doing that well; I don't really expect to win when we have as many young players who still haven't established themselves as NHL regulars at forward. Those players don't look overwhelmed and have had solid games of late.

I keep saying this, but we will win when we finally have quality depth players sprinkled through our line-up. Look at the Blue Jackets or Capitals or Penguins for examples of that. Each line has basically two veterans, and quality ones at that, with one kid on it. Compare that to what we're icing aside from Hall-Zajac-Palmieri.

I don't care about wins or losses so much at this point in another failed season (at this point, losses actually probably work to our favor long-term, and I've said and implied as much recently), but to me, the ultimate point of a game is to win. It's hard for me to think of a team whose season has mostly been defined by losing as playing well, and I tend to think of praise for effort or competing well or what have you as just trying to put a positive twist on objectively and consistently poor results. I respect people for trying to look for the positives, but, as for me, I have trouble getting my hopes up until I see real results in the form of wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad