Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Zajac is fine....

I know Lappin didn't play today but he is not nor will be an NHL player, same with pietila. They have both been noticeably worse than everyone on the team. Would like to see neither of them wear a Devils jersey next year

Lappin hasn't had a point in 24 games. I know he's still relatively young and has room for improvement, but the more I watch him the more I see Sislo 2.0.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Saw something surprising: over the last month (12-15 games depending on the team) the Devils are 10th in the league in corsi at 5v5, 50.91%. 13th in close situations at 50.54%, 12th when trailing at 54.01%.

Yet we're 27th in corsi when leading, 44.44%. That's pretty ******, but the fact that we're holding our own over that stretch is... encouraging? I don't know. We've literally only won one of those 14 games, 11 of which were against playoff teams.

Last edited:

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Saw something surprising: over the last month (12-15 games depending on the team) the Devils are 10th in the league in corsi at 5v5, 50.91%. 13th in close situations at 50.54%, 12th when trailing at 54.01%.

Yet we're 27th in corsi when leading, 44.44%. That's pretty ******, but the fact that we're holding our own over that stretch is... encouraging? I don't know. We've literally only won one of those 14 games, 11 of which were against playoff teams.
I really wouldn't mind continuing to put in performances like this and still losing

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
This has been as miserable of a season as you could imagine. Truly awful from start to finish despite their first 15 games. Out of all the players NJ has dressed through these 71 games, criticizing Zajac is absolutely ridiculous. He's probably the one player whose effort and overall game we can be most proud of when you review his body of work. He's had a fine season in what has largely been a steaming pile of dog ****

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Re: Corsi improvements - Hall and Bennett have been healthy, and DSP, Fiddler, and Kalinin aren't playing here anymore. These things all help, plus I think Blandisi's played well and Noesen hasn't been terrible either. The Devils can't do a ton this off-season to get better territorial players - there's probably not another Taylor Hall deal out there - but they can get rid of the stragglers, which would help a ton. Lovejoy's not likely to go anywhere, but if they can ditch Moore, that's another laggard out the door.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
On the Pietila/Coleman discussion, I have a feeling Pietila is going to be our Sestito that sticks around in the AHL, gets the occasional call-up where he can center the fourth line without being a complete liability, and he subs in on the PK when he comes up. I'm guessing JJ will be the 4C on paper next year with Coleman/Pietila getting the call-up when he inevitably gets hurt.

Pietila seems to have a lot more agility and acceleration that Coleman does which serves him better as an NHL forward. Coleman seems more methodical and it seems like he has trouble adjusting to the NHL size/pace.

Last edited:

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Bennett is always near the top, yet people dislike him. He's had a very good year despite not having a lot of points.

Severson is also always at the top and actually gets points and people still dislike him.

But you're right, Bennett has been very good this year. A bit unlucky at times with the points, but if he was playing with better linemates, he would also be scoring more. He's a really good third liner IMO. A really really good one and for a team that lags behind possession wise, it's needed. I'm very comfortable going into next season with Blandisi/Bennett on a third line together if it means we upgraded portions of our top 6.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Severson is also always at the top and actually gets points and people still dislike him.

But you're right, Bennett has been very good this year. A bit unlucky at times with the points, but if he was playing with better linemates, he would also be scoring more. He's a really good third liner IMO. A really really good one and for a team that lags behind possession wise, it's needed. I'm very comfortable going into next season with Blandisi/Bennett on a third line together if it means we upgraded portions of our top 6.

Severson should be at the top.

He gets all (especially in this pairing with Moore) of the Corsi-favorable offensive zone starts that he should be dominating in possession night in and night out.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Watching the replay this **** was even more embarrassing than seeing it live. How the **** can the league allow this to happen? He's just ****ing standing there waiting for the shot to be taken. This kind of **** is what people make fun of soccer for and my most hated aspect of soccer. What a ****ing joke.*

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Bennett is an ideal 3rd liner who can step up into the top 6 in injury cases.

Camille the Eel

Look Schneider was the difference in the game. Negatively.

Both of the shorthanded goals were on him. On the penalty shot his positioning on the guy coming in was so poor, it look like he left the guy two feet of open net.

On the second shorthanded goal, well, Schneider has never been good at getting back into a play once he gets out of position. He is the least athletic goal tender I have ever watched, night in, night out, for several seasons. But even so, this one was worse than usual. He just stood around and watched, there was no attempt to scramble back and get square to the puck.

You can't win in the NHL with less than average goal tending. Particularly a team as offensively challenged as the Devils. I wonder how many teams ever win a game when they let in two short handed.

On both of those power plays our battle level was also very low as a club. A power play has to continue to out hustle and outwork the penalty kill in order to be successful.

Not that the game mattered much or at all.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Severson should be at the top.

He gets all (especially in this pairing with Moore) of the Corsi-favorable offensive zone starts that he should be dominating in possession night in and night out.

First of all, the Devils suck at faceoffs, so that nullifies some of that effect.

Also, zone starts are an overrated metric because most shifts start on the fly.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Look Schneider was the difference in the game. Negatively.

Both of the shorthanded goals were on him. On the penalty shot his positioning on the guy coming in was so poor, it look like he left the guy two feet of open net.

On the second shorthanded goal, well, Schneider has never been good at getting back into a play once he gets out of position. He is the least athletic goal tender I have ever watched, night in, night out, for several seasons. But even so, this one was worse than usual. He just stood around and watched, there was no attempt to scramble back and get square to the puck.

You can't win in the NHL with less than average goal tending. Particularly a team as offensively challenged as the Devils. I wonder how many teams ever win a game when they let in two short handed.

On both of those power plays our battle level was also very low as a club. A power play has to continue to out hustle and outwork the penalty kill in order to be successful.

Not that the game mattered much or at all.

On Goal-2, Cory kicked it into the net, inadvertently, but nevertheless, he kicked it in.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
First of all, the Devils suck at faceoffs, so that nullifies some of that effect.

Also, zone starts are an overrated metric because most shifts start on the fly.

In general, yes I do agree.

But the Devils seem to use Severson a ridiculous amount when they have offensive zone face offs or they catch a team on an icing. He's been put out in many of those situations (and for good reason) that if he wasn't tops on the team in CF%, it would be concerning.

I like to look at zone starts to reflect the usage of a player as well and someone who is getting a heavy amount of offensive zone starts is usually being used in more sheltered situations favorable to racking up CF.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
You're right. I'm sure it was another spectacular game and effort. We lead the league in moral victories. ;)

Who the hell cares about wins and losses at this point? The right players (Zacha, Blandisi, Severson and JQ) have been playing well. If you want NJ to compete next year, these players need to be legit and they have looked this way recently. A top 3 pick wouldnt hurt either.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
In general, yes I do agree.

But the Devils seem to use Severson a ridiculous amount when they have offensive zone face offs or they catch a team on an icing. He's been put out in many of those situations (and for good reason) that if he wasn't tops on the team in CF%, it would be concerning.

I like to look at zone starts to reflect the usage of a player as well and someone who is getting a heavy amount of offensive zone starts is usually being used in more sheltered situations favorable to racking up CF.

Let's see, who leads the Devils in zone-start adjusted Corsi then - oh, it's Damon Severson. Well, playing with the great John Moore, I'm not sure how he could do anything else.

Since January 31 he has a 63% ZS which is relatively high but not crazy.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Let's see, who leads the Devils in zone-start adjusted Corsi then - oh, it's Damon Severson. Well, playing with the great John Moore, I'm not sure how he could do anything else.

I would love to see what Severson could do without a drag like Moore and a declining Greene. John Fischer just wrote a fantastic piece on how good Severson has been this year--- here it is. I urge everyone to read it.

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/20...his-season-tell-big-damo-his-son-is-very-good

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Who the hell cares about wins and losses at this point? The right players (Zacha, Blandisi, Severson and JQ) have been playing well. If you want NJ to compete next year, these players need to be legit and they have looked this way recently. A top 3 pick wouldnt hurt either.

Not me, not the team. Just the people who want to assure me that this was a good loss (as in the team played well). I'm fine with losing out the season at this point. I'm numb to the losing, but I'm not going to pretend this team has played well.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I'm just saying I've noticed him out there in just about every favorable offensive zone face off. Obviously with Moore, those two are our best weapons offensively so it's understandable. Obviously there aren't many stats to back it up, but it seems like every icing situation he's out there for the next face-off which has to be favorable to boosting his numbers even if those stats disregard the first 10 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad