Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yup the Devils went through the same thing and it isn't working for them. I hope the team plays great in front if Grubauer.

On the other hand, the Flyers stuck with Elliott and it worked for them. I criticized Hakstol for sticking with Elliott but he had a solid performance and the Flyers tied the series on the road.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Disappointed about the Vrana scratch but it's not a big deal. I know he made a big play but so did Connolly when he set up Chiasson in the first.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was at the Kettle today.

Vrana was on the ice very late, on his own end, looking around, dejected. Me and tykie were the only peeps in the bleachers as all flocked to Beags Holts Shane and 72 for autographs.

I was this close to working at 7-11 calling him over and talking to him. Tell him all fans want him in the lineup etc. Tell him our D make bigger mistakes and Barry looks the other way. That I can't wait to see him on the PP one day.

Yikes my lord did Orlov look bad. At least pivot reverse? once you realize skating backwards in quicksand ain't working.

It only took me about 30 minutes to figure out that was Cops out there. Kid whispered in my ear today, where are the numbers?

I concluded we don't have enough passing in practice. It's always about taking a shot. When the million shots in practice are taken, they are taking it easy on the G. If a study were done I suspect it requires about 50 successful passing attempts, per actual goal scored. Maybe 100. Paging @twabby

#FastTimes

There you have it, our belated playoff advatar.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: StrikingDistance

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As I noted in the playoff forum, Vrana is not credited with any turnovers last game. I know the stat can be a little subjective but if he was that obviously bad with the puck he should have at least one turnover.

Meanwhile, Kuzy had the most of any player with 3.

Great. Early he entered the zone 45th in with the puck. Meaning 2 forwards and one d were in deeper than him. He the did a drop pass at the attacking blue line that didn't get there. Then it went the other way odd man. Maybe that's not technically a turnover but it sure was an OMG no play.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Saw a great tweet about how Schmidt was a 7D on this team last year and is a top line pairing on one of the best teams in the league right now, the point was that the default argument that the coach knows better than the fans only goes so far.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Saw a great tweet about how Schmidt was a 7D on this team last year and is a top line pairing on one of the best teams in the league right now, the point was that the default argument that the coach knows better than the fans only goes so far.
Schmidt is a huge piece of evidence in the case against Barry.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I was at the Kettle today.

Vrana was on the ice very late, on his own end, looking around, dejected. Me and tykie were the only peeps in the bleachers as all flocked to Beags Holts Shane and 72 for autographs.

I was this close to working at 7-11 calling him over and talking to him. Tell him all fans want him in the lineup etc. Tell him our D make bigger mistakes and Barry looks the other way. That I can't wait to see him on the PP one day.

Yikes my lord did Orlov look bad. At least pivot reverse? once you realize skating backwards in quicksand ain't working.

It only took me about 30 minutes to figure out that was Cops out there. Kid whispered in my ear today, where are the numbers?

I concluded we don't have enough passing in practice. It's always about taking a shot. When the million shots in practice are taken, they are taking it easy on the G. If a study were done I suspect it requires about 50 successful passing attempts, per actual goal scored. Maybe 100. Paging @twabby

#FastTimes

There you have it, our belated playoff advatar.

hqdefault.jpg

I’ve long believed this.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Schmidt was awesome... joining the rush. It's a shame they only let him use his speed those 3 months before he got sat for shat and then lost him to GMGM. I find solace in knowing he would have been at 3RD this year and not used properly, and sat for Chorney some nights or benched.

Damn I cannot get over how dejected Vrana looked today. It wouldn't surprise me to hear a trade request this summer after we extend Barry. He knew I knew what was up.

If faceoffs were important to Barry, we'd see drill work on faceoffs in practice. Guys get tossed all the time and guys like DSP Willy Oshie and others take key draws. I never see them practice.

Enter fan favorite and great D first Jay Beagle. The turtle vs the rabbit Barry always bets on the turtle.

YTNjLRc.gif

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
It was either Gruby or Schmidt...

Gruby saved the 2nd half of our season
I don’t blame GMBM as much for this, he did not have a lot of options. However, we did waste a first-round draft pick on Shattenkirk, and that falls squarely on Trotz.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
On the other hand, the Flyers stuck with Elliott and it worked for them. I criticized Hakstol for sticking with Elliott but he had a solid performance and the Flyers tied the series on the road.
And Elliot sucks again today. He has always been inconsistent.
I wouldn't compare Philly's goaltending situation. Elliot is supposed to be their starter. In our situation we are banking on backup that got hot while filling in for the struggling starter. I'm not even sure if Trotz is convinced Grubauer is the right guy. When asked about Grubauer, all he said was that he was fine.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Maybe that's not technically a turnover but it sure was an OMG no play.
Now there’s a stat I could get behind. And I would put Bura’s late penalty in same category btw.

With or without 13, the Caps should be able to win this one. They ought to be angry and hungry and motivated. And both Ovie and his coach said Ovie needs to be better. Usually Ovie responds well to that kind of situation.

We’ll see.

We seldom make it easy on ourselves, that’s for sure.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And Elliot sucks again today. He has always been inconsistent.
I wouldn't compare Philly's goaltending situation. Elliot is supposed to be their starter. In our situation we are banking on backup that got hot while filling in for the struggling starter. I'm not even sure if Trotz is convinced Grubauer is the right guy. When asked about Grubauer, all he said was that he was fine.

I don't get too hung up on labels such as starter or backup. The current champs won with their backup and their starter. I trust our two goalies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Trotz didn't make the trade....I'd say wasting a 1st round pick lands squarely on the GM.

You think it was done out of consultation with Trotz? You think Trotz didn’t say “it’s Chorney or get me a veteran” when he had Schmidt under his nose?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You think it was done out of consultation with Trotz? You think Trotz didn’t say “it’s Chorney or get me a veteran” when he had Schmidt under his nose?

I'm sure GMBM makes his own decision with input from many sources. GMBM picked up the best of what was available, but that wasn't the guy to a) put a franchise over the top or b)the right fit for that team with a 1st round+NHL player price tag. Blaming Trotz for "wasting" him is silly. The player left a lot to desire when he played other than a game or 3.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
If we keep Trotz then Vrana will be traded for like 5th round pick and then be an every night top 6 player somewhere.
You think Trotz should keep going with the guy even though he continues to make the same mistakes game after game. He might give him a pass if he produced on a more consistent basis.
He shows signs of brilliance but at the moment he us hurting the team more than helping.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA

Elliott has been mesmerizing today, Hasek would be jealous.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Schmidt was the 6th dman for most of the season. He became the 7th when we picked up Shattenkirk. And in the playoffs he was ahead of Alzner on the depth chart. The Caps said Alzner was out with an injury but Alzner insisted he was ready to play.
We messed up our score by trading for Shattenkirk. And then not protecting Schmidt. They should have protected 4 dmen instead of 3.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I'm sure GMBM makes his own decision with input from many sources. GMBM picked up the best of what was available, but that wasn't the guy to a) put a franchise over the top or b)the right fit for that team with a 1st round+NHL player price tag. Blaming Trotz for "wasting" him is silly. The player left a lot to desire when he played other than a game or 3.
Who left a lot to be desired? Schmidt?

Maybe we are seeing what happens when Trotz doesn’t yank around young players and they are allowed to make mistakes. Schmidt has been a legitimate top pairing defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad