Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
This team needs to be ripped apart and rebuild from the bottom up, including management. They need to deal core guys while they are still worth something.
Worth what? Yes they are good players but they are all on huge contracts. Don't expect alot.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
So much overpassing.
To me, that was the story of that (admittedly brief) OT. Kuz should have shot instead of passing it to Wilson. Nisky should have shot instead of sliding it across to no one. Connolly should have shot instead of giving us the extended display of edge work, followed by the weak backhand shovel pass into the midsection of a sliding defender.

It’s as if we think the only way an OT goal counts is if tapped into empty net after three consecutive passes.

Which is why I still can’t understand why the Calvert goal counts. It was not tapped into empty net after three consecutive passes. It was just a bang bang play from the dirty area.

That’s allowed??

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Caps played better this game and could win. Same problems made them sink. That's bad.

Next game is totally winnable with Holtby.

Is it likely they win the series? Well, I doubt it a little now :P But the next game should be won.

EDIT: At least Caps had much more moments than G1.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I was never in favor of grub starting... I could sorta understand it.. but never agreed with it. Anyone can see he is an average goalie that got hot... playoffs are too important to ride on that.

Who knows what holtby would have done.. I didn’t have a great deal of confidence in him but he was looking better the last couple of weeks

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Time to trade Ovechkin. Sorry, but it's true. Do it while someone still sees him as a 50 goal scorer and not an aging, one-trick pony. Get young talent in return and find a coach who knows WTF he's doing.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
That's not fair to Dick Patrick....he's only been here since 1982. We need to give him at least until let's say....10 years after he's passed away to ask if we should replace him.

You just exposed the curse on this franchise :).

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Over passing has been the story all year. And it’s trotz’s idiot game plan (admitted by him) to adjust for prior years. Wants to get the goalies moving laterally to create better quality chances...

Most coaches would have been more traffic at the net and if the players weren’t willing to do that, they wouldn’t play.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Time to trade Ovechkin. Sorry, but it's true. Do it while someone still sees him as a 50 goal scorer and not an again, one-trick pony. Get young talent in return and find a coach who knows WTF he's doing.
And thats the problem Roughing. How much does he have in the Tank. Also the fact he still has a huge contract. Guys we are stuck with these guys because of large contracts.

Ovechkin

Sep 14, 2005
You just exposed the curse on this franchise :).

It's Ted's fault for not removing him. Ted is the majority owner, meaning if Ted wants him removed, he's gone. You pull the guy aside and tell him I'm calling a vote, but its a moot point with my ownership share. Save us the time and go quietly, or humiliate yourself and fight it. What's Dick going to do, sue Ted and tell the judge that his smaller ownership share is actually more than Ted's majority? Hope the judge can't understand 1st grade math?

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Over passing has been the story all year. And it’s trotz’s idiot game plan (admitted by him) to adjust for prior years. Wants to get the goalies moving laterally to create better quality chances...

Most coaches would have been more traffic at the net and if the players weren’t willing to do that, they wouldn’t play.

Throw shots and bodies at the net? In the playoffs?! Crazy talk.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Teams with a 2-0 series lead usually win the series 88% of the time. So we have a 12% chance of taking this one still. Crazier things have happened, but I don't think we have the horses or the mental strength to get out of this hole we dug ourselves.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
How did they hurt us? Chiasson can't think the game, every time he touches the puck in the offensive zone it's like a free reset for the defense. Connolly beefed hard and sprawled around on the ice while Columbus took the puck up the other way and scored. If Vrana had done that you'd probably have remembered it, I'm sure.
Chaisson actually has a good hockey IQ. He just doesnt have a lot of skill. DSP probably has even less skill. And Connolly is a bum. All 3 of those guys are borderline NHL players. Vrana isn't as good as any of them defensively. Maybe he is as good as Connolly. But I dont think he is necessarily a worse choice.
Gotta be honest I saw the bonehead plays but I didn't get the number. And I didn't watch any replays on the goals.
A couple bad penalties and some mediocre goaltending killed us.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
All of those guys are borderline players. I dont think much of any of those players.

You do know this forum has a search feature right... I remember responding to your assertion that DSP and Chiasson are "defensively responsible".. I beg to differ, those two are trash along with Connolly. All three led to our downfall today.

" I find it funny you can scrutinize every single play of Vrana's career and put him under a microscope and find everything bad about what he does (but not acknowledge all the good things he does), but you can't do the same for Chia/DSP/Connolly."

You have no problem outlining every little detail of Vrana's screw ups (which btw, didn't lead to any goals against)... but when the aforementioned 3 members of the trash gang screw up... you ask "what exactly did they do." Uh.. they were trash... none of them were "Defensively responsible" like you always claim and all of them had a hand in one or more goals against. How come there's no scrutiny into their play?

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Chaisson actually has a good hockey IQ. He just doesnt have a lot of skill. DSP probably has even less skill. And Connolly is a bum. All 3 of those guys are borderline NHL players. Vrana isn't as good as any of them defensively. Maybe he is as good as Connolly. But I dont think he is necessarily a worse choice.
Gotta be honest I saw the bonehead plays but I didn't get the number. And I didn't watch any replays on the goals.

Neither of those three are "Defensively responsible"... And neither is Vrana... but at least he's got speed and skill. The other three can't do jack.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

If there is a year to play young guns in the playoffs, this was it for those reasons given the transition. It's forgivable if a young player costs a game because it gets them experience and shows the future. Of those three fringe NHL players, only DSP is worth much in the playoffs. Yes, the stupid penalties are atrocious and a big reason we're down 2-0.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Teams with a 2-0 series lead usually win the series 88% of the time. So we have a 12% chance of taking this one still. Crazier things have happened, but I don't think we have the horses or the mental strength or the coaching to get out of this hole we dug ourselves.
Fixed it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad