GDT: blue coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Jaskin still needs to work on his skating, but if he can keep up his endurance while continuing to motor around like he did tonight, then he should be a strong playoff contributor.

Really glad I have gotten to see his evolution from starting with the Wolves till now. It's been a joy.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
He might be the most expensive 3rd C in the game, but I really liked how 21-26-23 looked for the majority of the game

they looked great. I think the STL line could benefit a bit by going back to basics like PBJ and keep possession for a bit before trying to make an insane pass that isn't there.

It is great to have 4 lines that all have completely different personalities (that all work when they are acting right)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I just find it hilarious how half of Jaskins attempts are wrap arounds haha
At least he's been successful unlike Paajarvi.

Jaskin can be a fun player to watch.

I also don't care if the Blues look uninterested in a game like this. If they can still win while not giving 100% effort, I'll take that any day of the week. No need to waste all your energy against bad teams.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I still maintain that Jaskin could be a factor in the playoffs. I may be in the minority, but I would be completely comfortable going into the playoffs with that third line as currently constructed. The more he plays, the confident Jaskin looks.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I just find it hilarious how half of Jaskins attempts are wrap arounds haha

Big difference between Jaskin and MPS. Jaskin is always trying to get to the front of the net, even if he is behind it. MPS on the other hand just skates fast along the half wall until he realizes he flew past the goal. Then he says "well I can always try the ole wrap around".

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Both Toffoli and Pearson were rookies last year right? Plus Jaskin would be well insulates on the 3rd line with Berglund and Stastny.

I've always said I wouldn't hate going into the POs with Jaskin, he's becoming a factor in games. I seriously didn't know this kid was up to 220lbs.

As for the wrap around comment, he always peels to the bottom of the circle and shoots instead of MPS stuffing attempts

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Huge difference in Jaskin and Rattie, in terms of how far along they are. Jaskin is ready for full time with the team. He's won that 3rd line wing position, and frankly that line shows a great deal of chemistry. Even Berglund looks like a scoring threat out there. If there is a rental, they'd better be darn sure it's really an upgrade.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Both Toffoli and Pearson were rookies last year right? Plus Jaskin would be well insulates on the 3rd line with Berglund and Stastny.

I've always said I wouldn't hate going into the POs with Jaskin, he's becoming a factor in games. I seriously didn't know this kid was up to 220lbs.

As for the wrap around comment, he always peels to the bottom of the circle and shoots instead of MPS stuffing attempts

Definitely. That is a talented trio, and they are getting favorable matchups playing on our third line. Jaskin and Berglund are giving Stastny space to operate.

Jaskin reminds me a lot of Stewart. Big, good shot, skilled around the net, just needs a bit more consistency. He just needs to keep going hard to the net, he is pretty deadly on rebounds.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Pretty sure they were talking about Frank.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Definitely, even the small guys are physical. Oshie has no issues with destroying someone, Schwartz....eh he's gritty but rarely see him lay a hit on someone but he doesn't shy away from contact.

The rest if the top 9 is 210+ish.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah Jaskin is a big guy, and unlike Stewart he actually throws his weight around and plays hard.

We could do a lot worse than him on the 3rd-line RW. I'd be fine going into the playoffs with him too. He plays a playoff-style game and nothing will make him back away from going to the front of the net.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
I'll contribute with some fast quotes from Alexander Steen on a Swedish newssite today. The article is a litte bit longer, but nothing new for anyone here, so it's only the quotes this time.

On the schedule:
--Even if it's tough for all teams it feels like we have an extra tight schedule since October is always such a slow month for us. There's still baseball in St Louis then so we don't play that much.
--But we have a lot of depth on our team, so we can handle it. Especially since we have a great attitude and don't get too high or low about things. We do all we can to win every game, but the days between them we can shut hockey out, too.

On the Blues seemingly not having trouble despite key players out with injuries:
--No, others step up instead. That's what having good depth does for you.
--A guy like Dimitri Jaskin for example, he's been really good now that he's had the chance. He had the game winner tonight.

On the SOB-line and how they're clicking:
--I think we've been pretty bad for a few games, actually. But tonight our unit was better. We created some chances and I think that I personally could've scored at least one more goal.

On the standings:
--We've put ourselves in a good position, but every game is really important, because our division is so tough. Everyone knows how good Nashville and Chicago are, but also the teams that are chasing from behind, like Winnipeg and Dallas, are really playing great hockey now.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
re: Jaskin and him playing in the playoffs...

...I think we can do aheck of a lot worse than him playing on the 3rd line for us. Especially if he can keep playing relatively well for a while now -- build up even more confidence.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yep, Hitch said Jaskin is playing with confidence now. We can see it with the moves he's trying. As hitch would say...moxy. rolling with him in the POs would show confidence in him

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Jaskin wants to hit everything that moves and he is a beast on the cycle. He's easily going to be Hitch's favorite player soon enough. He is the ideal linemate for Stastny, size to go to the net, ability to cycle, and the skill to find the soft areas and play a little give and go. Once he develops, they could create quite a pairing.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Big difference between Jaskin and MPS. Jaskin is always trying to get to the front of the net, even if he is behind it. MPS on the other hand just skates fast along the half wall until he realizes he flew past the goal. Then he says "well I can always try the ole wrap around".

This is accurate. He is adept at bulling his way to the front of the net and also at lying in wait behind and to the left of the goalie. It takes another big boy to stop him from squirting out to the post.

The Zombonis

Mar 27, 2012
Illinois
That swat by Oshie was below his shoulders. High stick shouldn't have been called. The Blues win it , but it shouldn't have been nearly this close.

Actually the replay didn't show the whole play, IIRC. Oshie had already hit the puck once (when his stick was deemed too high), then he swatted it the second time (what was shown on the replay), hence the stoppage. Had he hit the puck only once, the call would have been delayed until touched by a Blues player again.
But no worries, they got the two points they needed.

Lakebum

Apr 2, 2014
I have liked Jaskin ever since I saw how happy he was after his first goal in the nhl last season. It is a ton of fun to watch a young player develop.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Even without the goal(which should have been stopped) Jaskin was very noticeable all night. I remember his first shift being excellent and he carried that through the game. Aside from his skating, my biggest criticism of his game was his lack of poise with the puck. He was clearly playing scared. He didn't want to make a mistake. He looked like he didn't want the puck on his stick(which was a far cry from how he played in the Q and AHL). Glad to see him gain some confidence at this level. He needs it, because he's not going back.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm happy going with the third line as it is for the rest of the season. Jaškin has earned his spot.

Some more depth would be nice; we'll have injuries, and then Lindström comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad