OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That's interesting, I always wonder if these guys care about these bizarre statistics (i.e. signing with every team).

Glenn would have just signed a 1 day contract (which he had apparently already talked to then Eskimos GM Ed Hervey about). He signed in Edmonton since they offered more money, plain and simple.

Reactions: jetsforever

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Glenn is a much better player than Durant at this point. But Durant is fine backup.

Disagree. They are both rather similar. At least Durant has a winning pedigree. Glenn's pedigree is of being on teams that consistently lose. He's serviceable but I don't think he's that much better than Durant. Both are older guys on the decline that haven't played particularly well for a few seasons now.
Additionally, Glenn throws a whack load of picks.

FWIW, I am not a Glenn hater. We should have never have gotten rid of him back in the day. I just don't think he's that good.

I agree. Westerman has been going down. Mulumba would be a huge add as he is basically a younger Westerman.
I'd be shocked if we lose Leggett as I said above. The injury is the wildcard, that is a really tough injury to come back from for a young guy, nevermind a guy in his 30's.
Heath might be a cap casualty. Also I think the epitomized the "selfish" play I think the Bombers were talking about. So they might not bring him back as an example. I would like him back as he is a big play player though.
I disagree Randle got "abused". He is recognized around the league as an elite corner. He got beat at times, but that's basically the description of DB (they WILL get beat, it's a part of the job). Teams would often throw away from Randle.
ROC MOTHER****ING CARMICHAEL! Thankfully he "left" for "personal reasons" last fall and never returned. We will be looking at new options in the secondary for sure. One of the big issues with the Bombers (IMO) was that although the short side was usually ok and well defended (Heath/Randle) teams would simply ABUSE the lack of depth the Bombers had to the wide side. The rest of the DB's were not up to par. Would still like Fogg back as a backup HB and PR but I think cap constraints won't allow that.

What are the legit chances that we bring Mulumba up? He would be a great add for sure.

Really hope Leggett is back, but as you say he's getting older and that's a tough injury. Such a shame that it happened the way it did. Hope he's back and doesn't miss a beat. Heard his rehab has been going good.

I like Heath but it isn't the end of the world if he leaves. He can make plays and get picks for sure, but something needs to change in that secondary. Where are you hearing all the talk about selfish play and the Bombers cracking down on it? This better not be the reason Richie Hall is back. Why on earth is he back? D was an embarrassment last year, there's no way around it.

I like Randle, but think he is overrated. Too many times I saw him get picked on. Gave up a ton of big plays. He's way better than the rest of the losers in our secondary though. I hope you are right about him.

I remember Carmichael but would rather forget him. He was terrible. How did he even make our team? Were the other guys in camp even worse somehow? I would like Fogg back as well. Decent defensive back who can start in a pinch, but mostly be a rotation guy and returner. Hope they can get him, but not a huge deal if he gets away. Returners and average American DBs are dime a dozen.

I'm off the opinion that Ian Wild has been overrated since day 1. I've never been a fan of his. He is not very mobile and not overly physical. I just don't see it. Would rather not have money commited to him. Santos-Knox at this early stage is projected as the starting MLB, but ideally I'd see him as a SLB instead of Wild. Santos-Knox actually has some impressive range on him, deceptively quick.

Really? I like Wild. I think the difference he makes is noticeable. Thought the defense was better with him in the lineup. When healthy he is very effective and a great tackler. If he can't stay healthy this year then I definitely agree it's time to move on. Santos-Knox has the potential to be REALLY good. Came in last year and looked very good. Guy is a baller and should be a stud for us, if everything falls into place. Could be Khalil Bass 2.o (as in guy who came to us in camp and actually turned into something).

Agree on Santos-Knox. Would like to see him start.
Nevis is already gone. Johnson will be back as the starting international DT. Okpaulaugo and Jeffcoat will share role as international DE if Bombers go with Mulumba/Westerman/Chorney as other DE. Big part of the secondary issues last year was a lack of pressure at times. They really need to add an elite pass rushing DL, IMO. Those guys are available and can stand out as rookies, so I hope Bombers find someone. Trusting on big development out of Ekakatie and Chorney along with just mediocre guys like Jeffcoat and Thomas would not be good enough.
From what I am hearing from the Bombers media types, I have a strong suspicion that Neufeld will be the starting LG next year.
I think Flanders is pretty overrated, to be honest. RB are a dime a dozen. But he is certainly fine, and his versatility to work with Harris as a SB is nice.
Coates has been around for 6+ years. Not seeing a breakout possibility. I'd been hoping for a JFG breakout for a couple of years, but he's never done it. JFG and Coates are just warm bodies at the wide side WR. Both Lankford and Washington are back. Lankford is a brutal receiver, but will be back as a returner. I have no freaking clue what they see in Washington, he is brutal. I agree that Givens might be a good one. We'll see. A healthy Adams, Dressler, Givens, Denmark is a decent start of a receiving corps. International WR are a dime a dozen, so hopefully they pull a decent rookie or two.
LeFevour was a bad signing since he was a terrible scheme fit as I mentioned before. Davis is somehow signed for next year right now, he is terrible I am not sure why he is still signed. It'd be nice to have real player to develop.
I doubt Spooner is ready. Problem is that you need more than 7 "starters". In different packages you have to be able to rotate out Harris, Thomas/Ekakatie, etc. So need flexibility as well. Along with having 2 starting DL as canadians, they need to be really good. A real big part of pass defense in the CFL is not allowing the QB time to throw the pass. That was a big part of our pass defense issue, is that the DL was not getting enough pressure.

Thought that Nevis and Poop (and our tackles in general) left something to be desired last year. I like Poop more than Nevis, but I agree both were kinda just there, and not impact players IMO. Really miss the days of Doug Brown. Haven't had good DTs for a couple years now. Not since cutting Bryant Turner and Zach Anderson (both cuts were mistakes). Anyway, I think Jeffcoat and Okpaulago likely alternate then like you said, if we go with another Canadian on the other end. I thought Jeffcoat was pretty good overall last year. Okpaulago was brutal out of the gate, but a MOP candidate in the last quarter of the season. Will have to see which Okpaulago shows up in 2018.

Neufeld is garbage. PLEASE find someone else (preferably a Canadian) for the LG spot. The drop from Bond to Neufeld is gonna be scary.

Flanders is good. American RBs are dime a dozen, but Flanders is good and fits the scheme. As I mentioned, he is likely the best backup in the league. I actually thought we were gonna lose him because he would sign as a starter somewhere else.

Thought Coates has been around for 3 or 4 years. Think he missed a full year with an injury too or something. Could be wrong. Him and JFG are both pretty meh. They (well Feoli-Gudino anyway) looked good enough to let Rory Kohlert walk a couple years ago (he was declining) but haven't shown much since. Definitely need to try and bring in a Canadian receiver or two to at least compete with Coates and JFG.

Hopefully throwing a couple of Canadians out with Flanders/Harris and Denmark, Dressler, Givens and Adams keeps Lankford and Washington off the field, if Bomber brass is so keen on bringing those two back. Lankford is super fast, so maybe they should implement that into the playbook, instead of lining him up and having him go deep, since he sucks at it and Nichols can't throw deep. He might be useful for the odd end-around, but other than him being a decent returner, I don't know why they would bring him back. Washington is gross.

Davis should be as good as gone. Hopefully a camp cut. He has shown absolutely nothing and is getting older. I guess if the Bombers carry 4 QBs they go Nichols, Durant, LeFevour and one of the young Americans they brought in to develop. If they go three I guess they cut the Fever, but ideally I'd cut Davis and go with four QBs, LeFailure could be useful (as mentioned he's a decent runner). I wouldn't look too much into his great game against us a few years back though. The Bombers secondary has/had a habit of making guys like Brian Brohm look like Joe Montana. If we keep LeFevour I'm hoping he does well.

Definitely agree we need a better pass rush. When we had really bad teams a few years ago, we still had outstanding pass rush. Guys like Alex Hall, Kenny Mainor, Odell Willis and Phillip Hunt. They tore it up. Our QB pressure and sacks have certainly dropped. As mentioned our tackles are not helping the matter much.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I like Heath but it isn't the end of the world if he leaves. He can make plays and get picks for sure, but something needs to change in that secondary. Where are you hearing all the talk about selfish play and the Bombers cracking down on it? This better not be the reason Richie Hall is back. Why on earth is he back? D was an embarrassment last year, there's no way around it.

Speculation from Doug Brown in his column recently.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd let Heath walk.
Great Ballhawk but is softer than a marshmellow and is a very poor tackler.
Import DBs should be a dime a dozen too. Waiters has really failed finding depth there, that's where you need to replace and add younger talent to help with cap.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Import DBs should be a dime a dozen too. Waiters has really failed finding depth there, that's where you need to replace and add younger talent to help with cap.

International DB's tend to be one of the harder international's to find, IMO. It's why so many that are half decent just bounce around from team to team as teams have trouble finding new guys (I mentioned this last year with something like 6-10 former Bomber DB's bouncing around the league). After QB's and OT I think quality DB's are the next hardest to find.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
He's baaaaaack! :laugh:

image.jpg

Duron Carter extends stay in Riderville - CFL.ca

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So I think Nic Demski is a FA next month. Really think we should sign him. Gives us another Canadian receiver and I think he’s better than JFG. He’d be another non-import starter for us. And he can return kicks. Hope we can nab him up.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This is what the Bombers need to do :

1) Play Santos Knox at MLB -- I like a lot. He's very mobile, and has good size -- looks to me as a natural athlete. My prototype player. Forget the name of last years MLB ( Hurl ???) - but I'd get rid of him. Guys run right thru him. I believe Holden mentioned in an above post, they would start Santos Knox at MLB- I say "great." The guy is good.

2) They "desperately need" a couple good "corner backs"-- Seattle Seahawk type prototypes -anywhere from 6-1 inches to 6 -3 inches tall, and that can move with some speed, and are athletic. Edmonton passed at will over the current CB's -- we have no defense in my mind, against the long ball. We need to scout US colleges, and look for some late NFL cuts. This has to be done, or expect the same as last year.They can leave Tyler Loffler where he is at safety -"big hitter"-- I like the guy.

3) GM Walters has to retrofit his scouting personnel. For example we have scouted no decent quarterbacks, whereas Wally Buono has scouted tons of them !!! Reilly, Lulay, Pierce -the guy they have now (Mathews ?), and other names I can't think of. Wally Buono has a great eye for talent, and likely has surrounded himself with the same scouting ability as himself. I'm surprised Wally has not been picked up by an NFL team like the Browns-- I'd be willing to bet in 2 years, he'd turn the Brown's around.

Walters has done a good job in recognizing talent -and signing Medlock, Nichols, and Andrew Harris. What he needs to do next is "revamp his scouting personnel " as he cannot do this all by himself. This is a critical element that needs to be addressed. There is no awareness right now of "future young US players"--why not ??? -- they are definitely out there !!! Look at smaller US colleges like Buono does.

If the Bombers do all of the above--"they will be just fine." - if not- expect the same ( "especially CB's")

Last edited:

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011

I don't really understand your post here ??? If you are suggesting that I think that Durant was signed to be a starting QB for the Bombers - "your wrong". He is only signed to be a backup QB, and he'll be a pretty decent one. Nichols is one of the top 2-3 QB's in the CFL -- along with Mitchell and Harris.(Ottawa) I'd take Nichols though.

If your suggesting Durant is injured all the time ?? -- I don't agree, as he was quite a durable QB in Regina. He's big, and can run, and when he's on, he can throw the long ball quite accurately. This is a good signing IMO.

And no -- I've never seen Brian Brohm play, but if he's worse than Lefevor, then the Bomber should , "seriously" reconfigure their scouting people- in other words-"fire them"
Reilly is in the top 3 QB's in the league. Reilly and Mitchell are the top 2 QB's in the league, would have to drop one of Nichols/Harris to complete the top 3 list along with Reilly and Mitchell.

Like the Durant signing but would really like to know his salary. Friday, before he signed, I told some Bomber fans Durant at no more than 150K as a back-up is what I'd sign him for if I were GM and if I knew Durant would be a good back-up. I'd think 150K maybe close to 200K with incentives got it done. Pure speculation but again would love to know.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Reilly is one of the top 3 QB's in the league. Reilly and Mitchell are the top 2 QB's in the league, would have to drop one of Nichols/Harris to complete the top 3 list along with Reilly and Mitchell.

Like the Durant signing but would really like to know his salary. Friday, before he signed, I told some Bomber fans Durant at no more than 150K as a back-up.

I could go along with Reilly as one of the top 3 QB's -- but I'd take Nichols. He's a smart guy, and makes quick reads, and get's the most out of the offense.

Really for QB's right now-- Nichols, Reilly, Harris and Mitchell are all pretty close. I will say that Mitchel can choke in the big games, and has shown this. Also I would think Nichols, of all these QB's probably has the highest % completion rate, with the lowest amount of interceptions. I'd have to check that ??? I'm quite sure though.

The QB position in not the Bomber's problem.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
someone's started a twitter account that's posting jersey and logo designs.
some are actually quite good.
Which is the best: CFL in Halifax Jersey Concepts - CFL.ca

the Highlanders' logo's pretty boss.
DUZXUmOX4AAITVz.jpg:large

the Kraken helmet and jersey are also great. i don't love the shade of green, but that can change.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUZq-AgXcAA1IMF.jpg:large

Some of those are great :yo:
Tartan on a uniform would be crazy :laugh:
I also kind of like the uniform of the Tidal Boars, whatever those are meant to be

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Really hope that the group in Halifax gets a stadium. I'd love a balanced 10 team CFL. I still think the best place for the 10th team is QC (Laval sells out USports games at 10K+) but there seems to be no interest at all there. Either way getting to 10 teams would be real nice.

Reactions: GNP

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Sounds like Heath will be back.
I don't know how to embed tweets but Duron Carter and TJ Heath are jawing at each other and Heath said he will see Carter Sept 2, Labour day game.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Some of those are great :yo:
Tartan on a uniform would be crazy :laugh:
I also kind of like the uniform of the Tidal Boars, whatever those are meant to be

It's a play on tidal bore, which is when incoming tides cause flow to reverse for a ways up rivers that feed into the ocean.
There is never any good reason to have tartan on a uniform. What next then? Gingham? Paisley? Puppies and kittens? :thumbd:

Reactions: jetsforever

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Really hope that the group in Halifax gets a stadium. I'd love a balanced 10 team CFL. I still think the best place for the 10th team is QC (Laval sells out USports games at 10K+) but there seems to be no interest at all there. Either way getting to 10 teams would be real nice.
i think Halifax is a forgone conclusion. the stadium's obviously the issue and it will take 3 years to build. i expect a stadium announcement and a team announcement in the upcoming months.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
i think Halifax is a forgone conclusion. the stadium's obviously the issue and it will take 3 years to build. i expect a stadium announcement and a team announcement in the upcoming months.

And Halifax will win the Grey Cup before the Bombers do. In fact, they will probably beat the Bombers. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad