OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Signings continue tonight with Darian Durant

I just heard on TV ( TSN) that the Bombers have signed Darian Durant, and I believe for a one year term. I believe this is a great signing for the "backup QB position." I'd like Glenn as well, but their both about the same. Glenn is a bit old now.

I see Durant as a guy who likes the smaller town atmosphere, and that's why he did very well in Regina. I think he'll like Winnipeg, and fit in fine here. We "can't go wrong" here with Durant, considering that LeFevor backup was the worst backup I've ever seen. He was embarrasing to watch. He couldn't throw an 8 yard pass.:laugh:

Have to say I was not impressed with Durant last year with the Als, but I thought he just didn't feel at home there. He's a small town type of guy, and very humble type man- quite religious as well. I do think he'll fit in fine with the Blue -- I like the signing !!!

The Bombers need to sign some "good cornerbacks"- preferably tall and fast, and if they can do this, and Nichols stays healthy, we could win the Cup.

Bombers should really be scouting for "late NFL cuts"- that's where they will find some great CBs. Also scout a lot of late US college games --that's what I'd do if I were the GM.:cool:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Durant is a very good signing. You need a proven back up in the CFL.

One wish I would have for the Bombers is when Wally Buono retires hire him as a special consultant with one singular goal.

Dear Wally we need you to meet with us and help us rework our process for scouting, identifying, recruiting-drafting-signing, and developing quarterback prospects. If you don’t have the passion to do this can you give us one name of a person who would be best suited to do the job. We are willing to slather a lamb if needed to exercise demons.

Reactions: GNP

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't stand Durant. We should've went after Glenn, he's better right now IMO, and a proven vet backup as well. But better Durant than no one I guess.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
We "can't go wrong" here with Durant, considering that LeFevor backup was the worst backup I've ever seen.

So, you never saw Brian Brohm play, I guess. :laugh:

Given his history, I think Durant was signed to be the Designated Injured QB this year, thereby allowing Nichols to play the full season. It will happen in the first pre-season game. Book it.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
So, you never saw Brian Brohm play, I guess. :laugh:

Given his history, I think Durant was signed to be the Designated Injured QB this year, thereby allowing Nichols to play the full season. It will happen in the first pre-season game. Book it.

I don't really understand your post here ??? If you are suggesting that I think that Durant was signed to be a starting QB for the Bombers - "your wrong". He is only signed to be a backup QB, and he'll be a pretty decent one. Nichols is one of the top 2-3 QB's in the CFL -- along with Mitchell and Harris.(Ottawa) I'd take Nichols though.

If your suggesting Durant is injured all the time ?? -- I don't agree, as he was quite a durable QB in Regina. He's big, and can run, and when he's on, he can throw the long ball quite accurately. This is a good signing IMO.

And no -- I've never seen Brian Brohm play, but if he's worse than Lefevor, then the Bomber should "seriously" reconfigure their scouting people- in other words-"fire them"

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Can't stand Durant. We should've went after Glenn, he's better right now IMO, and a proven vet backup as well. But better Durant than no one I guess.

We had Glenn, and he didn't want to resign here because he wasn't going to get enough playing time -- according to a poster on here. Glenn is a great backup QB, but he wanted a certain amount of time played, otherwise he'd likely still be here. I've always liked Glenn myself ( very accurate) -- but Durant will fill the backup spot just fine.

Glenn is better with those 15- 25 yard passes, but Durant is better with the "long throws" and also is a better runner, and can take the hits.( bigger man) Their pretty much equal value. I'd prefer Kevin Glenn myself, but Durant will do a good job in a "backup role."

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Durant will do, his experience will be a big plus. I've always thought Glenn was a bit of a whiny suck when he wasn't playing enough.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

We had Glenn, and he didn't want to resign here because he wasn't going to get enough playing time -- according to a poster on here. Glenn is a great backup QB, but he wanted a certain amount of time played, otherwise he'd likely still be here. I've always liked Glenn myself ( very accurate) -- but Durant will fill the backup spot just fine.

Glenn is better with those 15- 25 yard passes, but Durant is better with the "long throws" and also is a better runner, and can take the hits.( bigger man) Their pretty much equal value. I'd prefer Kevin Glenn myself, but Durant will do a good job in a "backup role."
He thinks he'll play more in Edmonton?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

You have a really good point here, and I thought the same myself ??? Considering the way Reilly plays QB - he's very prone to injury. Maybe Glenn thinks his chances are better in Edmonton -- I don't know ???

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
We've had way worse than Brohm, heck we had a starter named Lefors, yes mike kelly got rid of Glenn to make Lefors the #1 lol

There oughta be a Hall of Shame for shitty Bomber QBs in recent years.

Stefan Lefors, Max Hall, Justin Goltz, Brian Brohm, Dominique Davis, Robert Marve. Good God. Yuck.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Last year Glenn left for playing time in Sask. This year we were in on Glenn (many people reporting that) but Edmonton outbid Winnipeg. Glenn knows he doesn't have much time left and has been notorious hard to negotiate with as he demands full dollar for his services.

Glenn is a much better player than Durant at this point. But Durant is fine backup.

Lefevour is not that bad. He'd be a fine backup to a guy like Reilly. But he is a good pocket passer, he's a scrambler. He's a beggar's version of Casey Printers. He has had some limited success at times in the CFL at least (including a 350+ yard 4 yard TD effort in 2016 vs the Bombers). However he clearly does not work in a quick hit pocket passing offense like the Bombers have set up for Nichols. So he did not do well at all of course. I thought it was an odd signing from day 1 where I talked about that. Still better than a guy like Davis, who is unfortunately still under contract right now.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
As far as I'm concerned this is an A signing for our team. Having a second decent QB is huge in the CFL.

Need Leggett and would help to have Heath back. Losing Bond will suck but if we can get more Candians starting on the line we might even win that trade off. Maybe...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Reilly was traded for a second round pick. They should've easily stomached that. Collaros was a free agent though. Agree that we've been willing to spend with Miller. It's nice. Way better than Buchko. Pretty obvious his regime was cheap and didn't care about winning.

I agree 100%. I was all over Bombers management when they balked at the price for Reilly. Was really really not happy with that summer. I was mistaken about Collaros. I guess they got outbid on Collaros. That was an odd off-season with so many teams needing QB's and so many teams having expendable options.

If the cap is an issue, I wouldn't mind moving on from Westerman. He was great his first year, and is still effective, but has been on the decline every year since we've got him. He's Canadian so that's what's really gonna hurt. Leggett, provided he recovers 100%, we need to have back. Heath is great and would be nice to have back, so if they let him go they better have a plan.

I agree. Westerman has been going down. Mulumba would be a huge add as he is basically a younger Westerman.

I'd be shocked if we lose Leggett as I said above. The injury is the wildcard, that is a really tough injury to come back from for a young guy, nevermind a guy in his 30's.

Heath might be a cap casualty. Also I think the epitomized the "selfish" play I think the Bombers were talking about. So they might not bring him back as an example. I would like him back as he is a big play player though.

Having Randle back will be nice. He did get abused when playing against elite competition last year, but what DB in the CFL doesn't? He is the best corner we have and unlike the majority of the jokers in the defensive backfield, he can actually make plays.

I disagree Randle got "abused". He is recognized around the league as an elite corner. He got beat at times, but that's basically the description of DB (they WILL get beat, it's a part of the job). Teams would often throw away from Randle.

Despite my love for Heath, Loffler and Randle, it's obvious our secondary was our weakness last year. Walker needs to be better. He's young, but he has to be better. Alexander was a bum, and Fogg was okay but I didn't like where they played him on the field. Who else did we even have back there?

ROC MOTHERf***ING CARMICHAEL! Thankfully he "left" for "personal reasons" last fall and never returned. We will be looking at new options in the secondary for sure. One of the big issues with the Bombers (IMO) was that although the short side was usually ok and well defended (Heath/Randle) teams would simply ABUSE the lack of depth the Bombers had to the wide side. The rest of the DB's were not up to par. Would still like Fogg back as a backup HB and PR but I think cap constraints won't allow that.

Have to get rid of Hurl and go import. Having Wild for the full year will be nice. He didn't play much last year but he is still an impact player. Would like to see more of Santos-Knox.

I'm off the opinion that Ian Wild has been overrated since day 1. I've never been a fan of his. He is not very mobile and not overly physical. I just don't see it. Would rather not have money commited to him. Santos-Knox at this early stage is projected as the starting MLB, but ideally I'd see him as a SLB instead of Wild. Santos-Knox actually has some impressive range on him, deceptively quick.

DL will take a step back. Jeffcoat is one of your starters. Any word on Okpaulago? After sucking royal **** for the first 75% of the season, he really turned it on late. Wouldn't mind taking another look at him. Chorney is a good alternative, especially being Canadian. If Mulumba comes back then we can get rid of Okpaulago but I ain't holding my breath. Gotta throw some Canadians up front for sure. I didn't think Thomas was too bad last year. Ekakatie needs to play more. What about Poop Johnson and the other dude (what was his name, Nevis?) Should we bring them back? Might not be enough room for them, and I don't remember them particularly sticking out.

Nevis is already gone. Johnson will be back as the starting international DT. Okpaulaugo and Jeffcoat will share role as international DE if Bombers go with Mulumba/Westerman/Chorney as other DE. Big part of the secondary issues last year was a lack of pressure at times. They really need to add an elite pass rushing DL, IMO. Those guys are available and can stand out as rookies, so I hope Bombers find someone. Trusting on big development out of Ekakatie and Chorney along with just mediocre guys like Jeffcoat and Thomas would not be good enough.

O-Line will still be strong. Losing Bond will really hurt, hopefully they can replace him with a decent young Canadian. No Neufeld please. Bryant, Hardrick, and Canadians Chungh and Goossen will be back and better.

From what I am hearing from the Bombers media types, I have a strong suspicion that Neufeld will be the starting LG next year.

I'm all for going Harris and Flanders in the running game again. Flanders is the best backup in the league.

I think Flanders is pretty overrated, to be honest. RB are a dime a dozen. But he is certainly fine, and his versatility to work with Harris as a SB is nice.

Expect JFG to be back. I think Coates will have a breakout season. Would like to see more of Chris Givens. Former Ram who we got late last year. He was good in the NFL. Could have three dangerous veterans in Denmark, Adams and Dressler next year. Lots of targets for sure. Get rid of Lankford and Washington.

Coates has been around for 6+ years. Not seeing a breakout possibility. I'd been hoping for a JFG breakout for a couple of years, but he's never done it. JFG and Coates are just warm bodies at the wide side WR. Both Lankford and Washington are back. Lankford is a brutal receiver, but will be back as a returner. I have no freaking clue what they see in Washington, he is brutal. I agree that Givens might be a good one. We'll see. A healthy Adams, Dressler, Givens, Denmark is a decent start of a receiving corps. International WR are a dime a dozen, so hopefully they pull a decent rookie or two.

Agree Durant will be a good backup. Remember with Nichols hurt last year we were stuck with LeFailure and the useless Davis. I can't see Durant being any cheaper than Glenn though.

Definitely need a young, talented third string QB to start to develop. Will need him to takeover someday. As mentioned, we haven't had anybody good for ages.

LeFevour was a bad signing since he was a terrible scheme fit as I mentioned before. Davis is somehow signed for next year right now, he is terrible I am not sure why he is still signed. It'd be nice to have real player to develop.

I guess if we need 7 starting Nationals, I'd go: Loffler, Harris, JFG/Coates, Goossen, Chungh, Thomas/Ekakatie and either Chorney (Mulumba if we can get him) or an O-Lineman to replace Bond (Spooner? Not sure if he can play LG or if he is ready).

Appreciate the lengthy and thoughtful response.

I doubt Spooner is ready. Problem is that you need more than 7 "starters". In different packages you have to be able to rotate out Harris, Thomas/Ekakatie, etc. So need flexibility as well. Along with having 2 starting DL as canadians, they need to be really good. A real big part of pass defense in the CFL is not allowing the QB time to throw the pass. That was a big part of our pass defense issue, is that the DL was not getting enough pressure.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Lefevour is not that bad. He'd be a fine backup to a guy like Reilly. But he is a good pocket passer, he's a scrambler. He's a beggar's version of Casey Printers. He has had some limited success at times in the CFL at least (including a 350+ yard 4 yard TD effort in 2016 vs the Bombers). However he clearly does not work in a quick hit pocket passing offense like the Bombers have set up for Nichols. So he did not do well at all of course. I thought it was an odd signing from day 1 where I talked about that. Still better than a guy like Davis, who is unfortunately still under contract right now.

Davis won't be in training camp. They clearly had no confidence in him, and no use having a 29 year old 3rd stringer who has literally shown no promise in live action. They'll be looking for a couple guys to develop at #3 and #4 this year I think.

Fever is a real useful guy. But you're right that you can't plug him into a pocket passing offence and expect him to produce. Personally I love QB's like him, sure high risk high reward but he can make things happen. You put in an option package for him and with guys like Harris and Flanders you pile up yards. Nobody is built to defend that these days. WIL backers are 205 lbs.

Sounds like they've already told Durant he'll be short-yardage guy, but if not Fever is worth keeping around as 3rd string just for that, plus the odd change of pace package.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Reilly was traded for a second round pick. They should've easily stomached that. Collaros was a free agent though. Agree that we've been willing to spend with Miller. It's nice. Way better than Buchko. Pretty obvious his regime was cheap and didn't care about winning.

Reilly was a free agent as well. Deal was for his rights prior to him hitting free agency. Basically Reilly had a deal with Edmonton, BC let him negotiate prior to free agency and Edmonton finalized it before he could hear offers on the market. Reilly preferred BC or Alberta given that his family is in Kalispell. His parents drive to every home game.

The Bombers could have traded BC a pick and watched Reilly sign with Edmonton on Feb 15 anyhow.

Here's the press release from Jan 31, 2013:

The BC Lions Football Club announced today that quarterback Mike Reilly has been traded to Edmonton Eskimos.
As part of the deal, the clubs have swapped second round selections in this year’s Canadian Draft (BC now has the 11th overall selection in exchange for the 14th overall selection) as well as acquiring Edmonton’s second round selection in the 2014 Canadian Draft.
“I was approached by Edmonton GM Ed Hervey seeking permission to talk to Mike before the free agency period began and in light of Mike’s desire to explore opportunities to become a starting quarterback, I believed a trade was doable,” said Lions VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “We thank Mike for his time with the Lions and he will be missed.”​

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Nevis is already gone. Johnson will be back as the starting international DT. Okpaulaugo and Jeffcoat will share role as international DE if Bombers go with Mulumba/Westerman/Chorney as other DE. Big part of the secondary issues last year was a lack of pressure at times. They really need to add an elite pass rushing DL, IMO. Those guys are available and can stand out as rookies, so I hope Bombers find someone. Trusting on big development out of Ekakatie and Chorney along with just mediocre guys like Jeffcoat and Thomas would not be good enough.

Nevis re-signed in December.

And it's CORNEY.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Reilly was a free agent as well. Deal was for his rights prior to him hitting free agency. Basically Reilly had a deal with Edmonton, BC let him negotiate prior to free agency and Edmonton finalized it before he could hear offers on the market. Reilly preferred BC or Alberta given that his family is in Kalispell. His parents drive to every home game.

The Bombers could have traded BC a pick and watched Reilly sign with Edmonton on Feb 15 anyhow.

Here's the press release from Jan 31, 2013:

The BC Lions Football Club announced today that quarterback Mike Reilly has been traded to Edmonton Eskimos.
As part of the deal, the clubs have swapped second round selections in this year’s Canadian Draft (BC now has the 11th overall selection in exchange for the 14th overall selection) as well as acquiring Edmonton’s second round selection in the 2014 Canadian Draft.
“I was approached by Edmonton GM Ed Hervey seeking permission to talk to Mike before the free agency period began and in light of Mike’s desire to explore opportunities to become a starting quarterback, I believed a trade was doable,” said Lions VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono. “We thank Mike for his time with the Lions and he will be missed.”​

Edmonton is barely closer to Montana than Winnipeg. Winnipeg was in on it, but as the price for the trade rose they backed out. This was well reported at the time.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Edmonton is barely closer to Montana than Winnipeg. Winnipeg was in on it, but as the price for the trade rose they backed out. This was well reported at the time.

It's literally double the driving time. Of course they didn't want to deal a high pick for a guy they likely couldn't sign. And yes, it was well reported.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It's literally double the driving time. Of course they didn't want to deal a high pick for a guy they likely couldn't sign. And yes, it was well reported.
10 doubles to 13? Wow, that's crazy. BC gave permission to talk to him. Bombers backed out. It happens, it was a mistake. It's irrelevant now.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
For some reason Nevis re-signing was stuck in my head as he signed elsewhere. That's too bad, he is just a guy there. Would really rather more impact.

Meh really? Oh well I spelled it wrong.

Nevis is a great nose tackle. Problem for Poop is he and Thomas play the same position at 3-technique. When they tried playing with both of them lots of snaps they got killed vs the run. Jeffcoat is a better 3-tech vs the run than any of them so they ran a package where he'd come in there on first down and slide out to DE on passing downs.

If Ekakatie can play more this year it'll give them more options with a Canadian nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad