RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
Wow, a gdt that reaches 1000 posts. Must be either really good or really bad

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
giphy.gif

Reactions: Ranksu and Bendak

Mar 6, 2012
Yeo is done. Why wait? Waiting will just make it worse. Rip off the band-aid and move on.

Reactions: Bendak

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Wife: <walks into room> Hows the game going?

Me: <laughs hysterically>

Wife: <glances at screen> I didn't know hockey scores got that high.

Me: <laughs harder>

And yet, still not as embarrassing as the 9-1 beat down the Pens laid out on Calgary last night...

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
And yet, still not as embarrassing as the 9-1 beat down the Pens laid out on Calgary last night...
The difference is with that matchup, it's not necessarily shocking. We aren't supposed to be that team that gets a touchdown laid on them by fooking Columbus.

Mar 6, 2012
I mean, it's never good to lose 7-4 or 9-1, but it happens to every team a few times a year. In isolation, it's not a big deal...

But yeah, this was what, the 5th blown lead in 8 games?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Bouwmeester has been a train wreck this season, but a whole lot of those goals against this game were on forwards.

Goal 1: Bozak just straight up loses his man, who gets a pass in the middle and scores.
Goal 2: Bad bounce, then Bouwmeester's guy scores.
Goal 3: Schwartz abandons his man on a 3 on 3 into the zone to double a guy in the corner. His man goes to the middle, gets a pass, and scores.
Goal 4: Crappy defending high in the zone (Steen falls and Maroon just generally looked inept) leads to a free shot, which Allen fails to track through a partial screen.
Goal 5: Maroon has speed and is marking a guy with speed, but then lets his guy go, trying to pass him off to a flat-footed teammate just coming onto the ice after a change. Opponent beats both of them to the net for an easy back door goal. Tarasenko's guy beat him to the net as well, though he didn't factor into the scoring.
Goal 6: Either Bozak should have rotated over to pressure the shooter or Bouwmeester should have pushed out from the net. Edmundson initially went towards the middle anticipating picking up that man, so I'm guessing it was on Bozak. Either way, goalie should have stopped it, IMO.
Goal 7: Three on two because a defenseman beat the first forward back down the ice. Bozak almost caught him, but didn't, and Jones ends up scoring. Maybe things work out differently if the defensemen sag back instead of manning up and closing their gaps, but that goal is still on the forwards in my book.

Those aren't system breakdowns, and I think it's a real stretch to blame the end result on how our defensemen played.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Bouwmeester has been a train wreck this season, but a whole lot of those goals against this game were on forwards.

Goal 1: Bozak just straight up loses his man, who gets a pass in the middle and scores.
Goal 3: Schwartz abandons his man on a 3 on 3 into the zone to double a guy in the corner. His man goes to the middle, gets a pass, and scores.
Goal 4: Crappy defending high in the zone (Steen falls and Maroon just generally looked inept) leads to a free shot, which Allen fails to track through a partial screen.
Goal 5: Maroon has speed and is marking a guy with speed, but then lets his guy go, trying to pass him off to a flat-footed teammate just coming onto the ice after a change. Opponent beats both of them to the net for an easy back door goal. Tarasenko's guy beat him to the net as well, though he didn't factor into the scoring.
Goal 6: Either Bozak should have rotated over to pressure the shooter or Bouwmeester should have pushed out from the net. Edmundson initially went towards the middle anticipating picking up that man, so I'm guessing it was on Bozak. Either way, goalie should have stopped it, IMO.
Goal 7: Three on two because a defenseman beat the first forward back down the ice. Bozak almost caught him, but didn't, and Jones ends up scoring. Maybe things work out differently if the defensemen sag back instead of manning up and closing their gaps, but that goal is still on the forwards in my book.

Those aren't system breakdowns, and I think it's a real stretch to blame the end result on how our defensemen played.
Thanks for posting. I think Van Ryn is getting more flak than he should- problems run deep and these aren't just breakdowns by defensemen.

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
EastonBlues22: watching the game again so you don’t have to. Probably deserves a humanitarian award.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

I agree. The Blues' problems are teamwide (goaltending, forwards not backchecking consistently, defencemen making judgement errors, Blues' players playing tentatively and with little confidence. Therefore, they are thinking too much, and that is slowing their reactions, and their starts in making plays. That gives them a distinct disadvantage. They've managed to stay in a lot of games, by playing well in short spurts. But they've only played well all game in one game so far this season. They are NOT a terribly slow or old, or small team, and do NOT lack skill. Their goaltending has been below average, but not terrible, and not the major reason they are losing most games. They are playing quite a bit worse than they should be based on age, size strength, experience, and talent. It's up to the head coach to get them in the frame of mind to play up to at least the average level their roster should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad