Blocking shots should be illegal

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I actually don't think this is one of the worst ideas I've read here...

I think it is THE worst idea I've read here.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I actually don't think this is one of the worst ideas I've read here...

I think it is THE worst idea I've read here.
Idk someone said people should get a penalty if they hit the goalie in the head with a puck

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If intention of this proposal of forbid blocking is to reduce injuries, then whole thing is upside down. To be effective, prohibition should be strongly enforced (not going now to scenarios where failed shot gets accidentally blocked), and that would cause directly more shots taken with pure intention to get them blocked, thus likely more accurate aimed snipes against players with intention to get them to a penalty box, and likely much more and more serious injuries.

Stillborn idea.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Not only would it create more goals, but the fewer injuries are the real reason.

Hate to see skilled guys go down, just because they have to "take one for the team"

so incredibly stupid. Let the goalies stop the pucks !
Take it you never played much TEAM organized sports.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
It should't be illegal that makes no sense.
As a coach you could/should tell your skilled star players not to block shots though.

Yeah....I mean honestly, If Ovechkin is teeing off a one time, the last thing I want is Kucherov or Stamkos to slide down in front of it. Callahan though....yeah he f***ing better. It's all about player management. Blocking shots should by all means stay in, idk the OP was thinking.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
How about just calling one when a player lays on the ice to block it? Pkayer would get use to that.

That I would be fine for me. Any blatant shot blocks like dropping to the knees to block a shot would be easier to enforce and wouldn't take too much anyway from the game.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
As others have said it would be extremely tough to enforce. The only way I could see it working is if they made the rule that you cannot purposely drop on the ice to block a shot. It seems like offense is not a problem in the NHL this season, not sure they need to enforce this kind of rule. I am not sure many stars are diving to block shots as well, so I do not think it is a priority even to possibly reduce injuries.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
Ive seen some dumb ideas and dumb threads on here but this one has got to be near the worst...why dont you make it illegal to take slapshots from the point, this will ensure no one ever gets hurt!

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
That I would be fine for me. Any blatant shot blocks like dropping to the knees to block a shot would be easier to enforce and wouldn't take too much anyway from the game.
Why not just have a 60 minute shootout then? This is absolute tomfoolery.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This rule has actually been discussed before. The rule would be if a player goes down to block a shot it would be illegal. Not saying anything for or against it, but people calling the OP ideas dumb are misguided.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This rule has actually been discussed before. The rule would be if a player goes down to block a shot it would be illegal. Not saying anything for or against it, but people calling the OP ideas dumb are misguided.
Just because the league has actually thought about it doesn't make the idea any less dumb. Imagine if they took blocking out of football.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Just because the league has actually thought about it doesn't make the idea any less dumb. Imagine if they took blocking out of football.

Well, I don't think its necessary to gang up on the OP when this idea has actually been discussed at the NHL level before. It may not have been serious discussion, but it was still talked about.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
How about just calling one when a player lays on the ice to block it? Pkayer would get use to that.

I'd be perfectly fine with this, as well as a ban on the college-style one where a guy goes to both knees up toward the point and kicks out a leg or skate to block one.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Ive seen some dumb ideas and dumb threads on here but this one has got to be near the worst...why dont you make it illegal to take slapshots from the point, this will ensure no one ever gets hurt!

It really has nothing to do with injuries, since injuries from blocking shots is so rare at this point anyway.

It's about the fact that there is a minimal physical risk associated with an action that, while common, adds nothing to the game except suffocating offense. It's not an act of sacrifice.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Usually this type of nonsense gets created in the dead of the offseason.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Defensive blocks caused by diving on a trajectory of puck are minority of all blocked shots. Just for note.

First they should root out diving out of the game (we don't want Soccer-actors in the hockey, do we). When that is done, then we can go further and prohibit diving for blocking a puck (there is real, increased, obvious injury risk for diver here).

But prohibiting blocking altogether. No. It's simply impossible without changing whole game of hockey as we know it.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Well, I don't think its necessary to gang up on the OP when this idea has actually been discussed at the NHL level before. It may not have been serious discussion, but it was still talked about.

This is HF, where the response to anything that's slightly different is any of the following:

• "Why don't they just put on tutus and figure skate?"
  • "Have you ever played hockey before?"
  • "lol this is what happens when americans watch hockey"
  • "The game is PERFECT as it is. Now excuse my five-year posting history that's nothing but complaining about the game."
  • "Here's a complete non-sequitur that adds nothing of value to the conversation. DAE think I'm funny?"
  • "Why don't you watch basketball instead?"
And many many more that add nothing of value except to waste bandwidth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad