Blocking shots should be illegal

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Wow... After all these years when coach told us that the goalie is the last person who will face the shot.

I would love it how players purposefully shoot each other just to get penalties. Does the OP even hockey?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Here are some numbers I put together several years ago, looking at whether blocked shots or diminishing power plays had more to do with the decline of offense.

Format is as follows:
Year - Total blocked shots (number of teams, and average number per year) GPG - avg number of power plays, PP %

1997-98 - 17,564 (26 teams, 676 each) 5.28 GPG - 380 PP/15,08%
1998-99 - 23,813 (27 teams, 882 each) 5.27 - 359 PP/15,81%
1999-00 - 26,165 (28 teams, 934 each) 5,49 - 331 PP/16.15%
2000-01 - 28,735 (30 teams, 958 each), 23.36 - 5.51 GPG - 376 PP/16.64
2001-02 - 28,653 (955 each), 23.30 - 5.24 GPG - 338 PP/15.47%
2002-03 -
2003-04 - 28,293 (943), 23,00 - 5.14 GPG - 348 PP/16.46%
2005-06 - 31,959 (1,065), 25.98 - 6.17 GPG - 480 PP/17,68%
2006-07 - 33,182 (1,106), 26.98 - 5,89 GPG - 398 PP/17.58%
2007-08 - 29,660 (989), 24.11 - 5.57 GPG - 351 PP/17.75%
2008-09 - 32,324 (1,077), 26.28 - 5,83 GPG - 341 PP/18,95%
2009-10 - 33,452 (1,115), 27.20 - 5.68 GPG - 304 PP/18,23%
2010-11 - 34,904 (1,163), 28.38 - 5.59 GPG - 291 PP/18,02%
2011-12 - 29,208 (through 1,032 games; 974 per team, 28,30 per game) - 5.45 GPG - 228 PP/17.45%

This year, 27/31 teams have over 1,000 blocked shots and the other 4 are all over 900. In a single game, we're likely to see over 30 blocked shots between the two teams. The average for the year will likely end up over 1,200 per team, and the number of blocked shots is roughly 20% higher than the number of missed shots.

Watch a game from 20 years ago, or 25, or 30, or earlier, and then tell me that "it's always been part of the game". It hasn't been.

Everyone ignored your post. Too much data. :sarcasm:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I have a tough time believing that someone can miss the point this badly.
I really honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make. You've essentially said guys shouldnt be allowed to block shots because the gear they wear ensures almost a 0% chance of injury, meaning they aren't sacrificing their bodies to protect the net. Since in the past, there was actually risk to blocking a shot, it wasn't as common, which made the game better because offense wasn't being stifled as much by their opponents.

Am I following you or have I read something totally different?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I really honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make. You've essentially said guys shouldnt be allowed to block shots because the gear they wear ensures almost a 0% chance of injury, meaning they aren't sacrificing their bodies to protect the net. Since in the past, there was actually risk to blocking a shot, it wasn't as common, which made the game better because offense wasn't being stifled as much by their opponents.

Am I following you or have I read something totally different?

You got the second part right, but not the first.

Shot blocking to the tune of 15-20 per team per game is an issue, but it was never really thought to be one that needed addressed because the state of equipment meant that a six-goalie system was outside the realm of possibility. It's just like how in basketball, there was never thought to be a need to legislate goaltending because it was thought to be physically impossible. Then athletic big men started playing, it became clear there was an issue, and so goaltending became illegal.

Here we are in hockey: the equipment has improved, as a result there's no real sacrifice to blocking shots, and therefore everyone does it every single time there's anything resembling a scoring chance. But rather than step back and look at it carefully, there's this idea that once something has become established it should not be legislated away or otherwise addressed no matter how ridiculous it may be.

Bob Gainey recommended in 2008 that there needed to be a ban on players leaving their feet to block a shot. That was after just ten years of widespread shot-blocking, and as a superb defensive forward during his long career I think his words and recommendations carry some weight.

It's not a question of whether shot blocking should be addressed because there's no risk/sacrifice, it's a question of whether it should be addressed because the lack of risk/sacrifice has allowed a low-skill tactic to become common to the point of choking off offense. It's functionally little different from the massive defensemen of the 1995-2004 time frame who were able to simply hold onto opposing forwards, where a Jagr or a Palffy or a Bondra could be completely negated by someone like Mike Rathje.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You got the second part right, but not the first.

Shot blocking to the tune of 15-20 per team per game is an issue, but it was never really thought to be one that needed addressed because the state of equipment meant that a six-goalie system was outside the realm of possibility. It's just like how in basketball, there was never thought to be a need to legislate goaltending because it was thought to be physically impossible. Then athletic big men started playing, it became clear there was an issue, and so goaltending became illegal.

Here we are in hockey: the equipment has improved, as a result there's no real sacrifice to blocking shots, and therefore everyone does it every single time there's anything resembling a scoring chance. But rather than step back and look at it carefully, there's this idea that once something has become established it should not be legislated away or otherwise addressed no matter how ridiculous it may be.

Bob Gainey recommended in 2008 that there needed to be a ban on players leaving their feet to block a shot. That was after just ten years of widespread shot-blocking, and as a superb defensive forward during his long career I think his words and recommendations carry some weight.

It's not a question of whether shot blocking should be addressed because there's no risk/sacrifice, it's a question of whether it should be addressed because the lack of risk/sacrifice has allowed a low-skill tactic to become common to the point of choking off offense. It's functionally little different from the massive defensemen of the 1995-2004 time frame who were able to simply hold onto opposing forwards, where a Jagr or a Palffy or a Bondra could be completely negated by someone like Mike Rathje.
I appreciate the well spoken reply. I just can't compare holding to shot blocking. Some bum physically holding onto a guy is not the same as laying out in front of him while he winds up. The high skill guys are still going to to elevate their shots when they see Eric gryba lay down in front of them. Or they'll hold the puck while he slides right past them and dish it off or take their shot. The only guys I see this really effecting are the average shooters. Why should it be made easier for guys with less skill to score goals? To me,it makes sense to have a defender be able to lay down and take one in the ribs to prevent a shot going to the net if he so chooses, regardless of his skill level. That's not going to elevate his game at all, or negate a Jagr or a McDavid, it's just going to force the opposition to cycle the puck more, or have your top end talent razzle and dazzle more.

I see lots of high scoring games very frequently,even with teams blocking 15-20 shots a game. Do I want to see games get even more lopsided because your bottom six and bottom pairing defensemen are no longer able to make up for a lack of skill by preventing scoring chances? God no.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
pretty sure I read the OP post after the last Laine injury open ice hitting should be stopped.

Truthfully, anything that goes against Laine's dominance of the NHL should be stopped - obviously!

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I appreciate the well spoken reply. I just can't compare holding to shot blocking. Some bum physically holding onto a guy is not the same as laying out in front of him while he winds up. The high skill guys are still going to to elevate their shots when they see Eric gryba lay down in front of them. Or they'll hold the puck while he slides right past them and dish it off or take their shot. The only guys I see this really effecting are the average shooters. Why should it be made easier for guys with less skill to score goals? To me,it makes sense to have a defender be able to lay down and take one in the ribs to prevent a shot going to the net if he so chooses, regardless of his skill level. That's not going to elevate his game at all, or negate a Jagr or a McDavid, it's just going to force the opposition to cycle the puck more, or have your top end talent razzle and dazzle more.

I see lots of high scoring games very frequently,even with teams blocking 15-20 shots a game. Do I want to see games get even more lopsided because your bottom six and bottom pairing defensemen are no longer able to make up for a lack of skill by preventing scoring chances? God no.

Your statement just had the opposite effect for me. If you're less skilled, then so be it! The gap between skilled and less skilled was apparent in the 80s.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Your statement just had the opposite effect for me. If you're less skilled, then so be it! The gap between skilled and less skilled was apparent in the 80s.
The gap between Auston Matthews and Iiro Pakarinen is still extremely apparent. The difference is at least Iiro has a chance to negate a couple of high end chances by Matthews by blocking some shots. Does this mean Auston Matthews skillset has been negated for an entire game? Of course not, it just means that Matthews and his linemates will have to move the puck around more to find a shooting lane that is less blocked. I don't understand how this is perceived as a bad thing that should be banned. Everything the NHL does now seems to be to create more goals. More goals more goals more goals. If you want to remove defensive tactics from the game because they prevent goals, then why even have defensemen?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Sure. I say take it one step further. Just have players line up at the opposing blue line and have them just rifle pucks at the goalie in any way shape or form. Boom. No shot blocks except the goalies.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
fLBbQVy.jpg

Craig Ludwig thinks this idea is ludicrous.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The gap between Auston Matthews and Iiro Pakarinen is still extremely apparent. The difference is at least Iiro has a chance to negate a couple of high end chances by Matthews by blocking some shots. Does this mean Auston Matthews skillset has been negated for an entire game? Of course not, it just means that Matthews and his linemates will have to move the puck around more to find a shooting lane that is less blocked. I don't understand how this is perceived as a bad thing that should be banned. Everything the NHL does now seems to be to create more goals. More goals more goals more goals. If you want to remove defensive tactics from the game because they prevent goals, then why even have defensemen?

Don't get me wrong I see your point, and I don't really have a strong opinion in the shot blocking illegal talk. It has come up for discussion a good amount actually, and my opinion has been to go back to smaller, softer, equipment. Again, not a crazy opinion, you heard Don Cherry scream about this for a decade.

bKn5M.jpg

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let’s ban hitting while where at it. Give me a break. HF boards never disappoints.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Not only would it create more goals, but the fewer injuries are the real reason.

Hate to see skilled guys go down, just because they have to "take one for the team"

so incredibly stupid. Let the goalies stop the pucks !
not as incredibly stupid as this post.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
So, a penalty for the player who gets hit by a puck then?
Wouldn't that lead to shooters intentionally targeting enemy players?

What a terrible idea
No, i mean coaches should stop encouraging players to block shots.
But going down on one or both knees or laying flat on the ice to block a shot should result in a 2 min penalty

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad