Blocking shots should be illegal

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
**** happens. There’s danger and risk of injury in every major professional sport.
It’s part of the game. If a player chooses to get in front of a shot, then that’s their prerogative. They know the chance of injury they’re taking.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Id be okay penalizing going down on your stomach on odd man breaks to take away passing lanes... but thats about it

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
There would be near perpetual 3 vs 3 game going on if blocking would be penalty-worthy act (even if allowed from goalies).

Corsi happenings would rabidly accumulate when players would try make blocked shots by shooting each other.

Teams could use penalty boxes as benches... and vice versa.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not only would it create more goals, but the fewer injuries are the real reason.

Hate to see skilled guys go down, just because they have to "take one for the team"

so incredibly stupid. Let the goalies stop the pucks !
Offense Uber alles !

Know what else would increase scoring? Forcing defensemen to wear pirate eye patches to kill depth perception.

Banning shot blocking? A big fat no.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Not only would it create more goals, but the fewer injuries are the real reason.

Hate to see skilled guys go down, just because they have to "take one for the team"

How about penalize goalies for playing butterfly? :sarcasm:

Only allow stand-up playstyle. :nod:

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
This has got to be the most ridiculous idea I've heard in a while. How would you even enforce such a rule? How many skill players even get hurt from blocking shots? Or players in total? I wasn't aware that this was an actual problem.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

I would just start shooting pucks at guys if it was an instant powerplay . Star players dont tend to be the guys blocking shots

Reactions: varano

varano

Jun 27, 2013

You should stop watching hockey if you hate the puck so much.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Ummm what??? There is so many problems with this rule that you want, did you think this through at all? Blocking shots is apart of the game and will continue to be forever and ever. Unless you want the league just to be a shootout competition.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I don’t necessarily think that blocking any shot should be a penalty, that would be difficult to enforce however leaving your feet to block a shot should be a penalty (think goaltending in the NBA).

The injury argument is an interesting one. Obviously the NHL and NHLPA would like to minimize injuries to the greatest extent possible. Then why permit players to purposely stand in front of a puck that is flying in excess of a 100 mph?

I would argue that shot blocking injuries more people than fighting and hits to the head, so why not crack down on that too?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don’t necessarily think that blocking any shot should be a penalty, that would be difficult to enforce however leaving your feet to block a shot should be a penalty (think goaltending in the NBA).

The injury argument is an interesting one. Obviously the NHL and NHLPA would like to minimize injuries to the greatest extent possible. Then why permit players to purposely stand in front of a puck that is flying in excess of a 100 mph?

I would argue that shot blocking injuries more people than fighting and hits to the head, so why not crack down on that too?
Because you can make 3 million a year and be awful at hockey if you jump in front of the puck all the time.

Plus the injuries tend to be broken toes not concussions

Im sure kris russel would block pucks with his face if he could but it tends to not happen. Most of the bad injuries tend to be a dman screwing up a slapshot and murdering their forward who is looking the wrong way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad