Proposal: Blockbuster PIT-EDM-CAR

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
How does EDM fit a Kessel under the cap
Plus EDM is Not in a position to be moving out futures not until they prove they are legit cup contenders and only missing a piece or two not 5 pieces

Reactions: OilerSuperstar17

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
What are the biggest cap drains on the Oil outside of Lucic, and could they be offloaded with a little sweetener?
Well it would be Sekera, Russell, and Lucic. Lucic is the bad one. Sekera and Russell aren't great contracts, but id say they are worth their price. I certainly wouldn't pay to off load them.

I think a team like Jersey would even give an asset for them. They use their cap space to their advantage. They get a 2nd pairing dman for cheap.

Reactions: OilerSuperstar17

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What are the biggest cap drains on the Oil outside of Lucic, and could they be offloaded with a little sweetener?

Russell/Sekera. Chia loves Russell and Sekera is a great defenceman if he’s back up to speed and healthy so neither one could be considered a cap dump imo.

It’s also a big gamble for us. I don’t think this team is a Phil Kessel away from being a playoff lock. Yamamoto and a potential lottery pick is a steep price.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Russell/Sekera. Chia loves Russell and Sekera is a great defenceman if he’s back up to speed and healthy so neither one could be considered a cap dump imo.

It’s also a big gamble for us. I don’t think this team is a Phil Kessel away from being a playoff lock. Yamamoto and a potential lottery pick is a steep price.

Not for a sure thing in terms of speed, RW production, and PP performance. The EDM pick could be top 10 protected, I'm sure.

I guess it depends on how much Chia loves Russell, and how much a #4 defenseman is worth relative to a top 10 scorer who addresses a number of issues. There's also the likely added benefit of bumping up Lucic's stock if he's riding shotgun with Drai and Kessel.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That seems like a return Kessel should bring in on his own.

Kessel for 4 years at 6.8 for Skinner who's UFA after this season and will end up costing at least 7.0 and Yamamoto.

Sorry CW, but I'd rather keep Kessel. Kessel's production and cap hit are too good to let go for question marks.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yamamoto and that 1st are going to be the ELC pieces Edmonton needs to manage their cap in the future. Like Kessel but he's not a luxury that Edmonton needs or can afford.

Reactions: 780il

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
LOL. :rolleyes::eek::confused:

Canes get two firsts for one year of Skinner.

Kessel had 92 points last year, even at 30 he's worth more than Skinner and Yamamoto by himself let alone adding a 1st.

Even if the Oilers could afford Kessel I highly doubt they are on his 8 team list.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pass for cap reasons. Also pass because Kessel seems to be the kind of guy who wants to move around a bit. I'd guess we would only have him for a couple years. I'd prefer to keep the pick and Yamamoto if that is the case.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not for a sure thing in terms of speed, RW production, and PP performance. The EDM pick could be top 10 protected, I'm sure.

I guess it depends on how much Chia loves Russell, and how much a #4 defenseman is worth relative to a top 10 scorer who addresses a number of issues. There's also the likely added benefit of bumping up Lucic's stock if he's riding shotgun with Drai and Kessel.

Lucic rode shotgun with Connor McDavid and still stunk up the joint

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Take Lucic off our hands as well at no extra cost and you have a deal. Otherwise there is no way I accept that and we can't afford it anyway. Yamo will be a stud for us either next to Drai or Mcdavid and he's 20, and on a 3 year elc. The first is also an elc piece but I wouldn't be opposed to trading it for immediate help. Change Yamo to Puljujarvi. I think he would also be more interesting for Pittsburgh to aquire over Yamo. My updated proposal:

To Pens: Skinner + Puljujarvi

To Canes: EDM and PIT 1st + Lucic + Sekera + EDM 2nd

To EDM: Kessel + Faulk

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not a bad proposal at all. the problem is the Oilers can't afford Kessel. And he is kinda old for their group.
I don't care for the trade but the Oilers want to compete and win now, no? Kessel is a proven playoff performer.

Or do they need ANOTHER decade to rebuild?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Oilers want to compete and win now, no? Kessel is a proven playoff performer.

Or do they need ANOTHER decade to rebuild?
I mean they want to compete for the next decade. I’d rather miss the playoffs next year and make it for the next 10, than make it for the next 5 and stop there.

Point being, I don’t think Kessel is the answer

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Take Lucic off our hands as well at no extra cost and you have a deal. Otherwise there is no way I accept that and we can't afford it anyway. Yamo will be a stud for us either next to Drai or Mcdavid and he's 20, and on a 3 year elc. The first is also an elc piece but I wouldn't be opposed to trading it for immediate help. Change Yamo to Puljujarvi. I think he would also be more interesting for Pittsburgh to aquire over Yamo. My updated proposal:

No way Canes do that.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I lik me worlds where the cap doesn’t exist.

How does EDM fit a Kessel under the cap
Plus EDM is Not in a position to be moving out futures not until they prove they are legit cup contenders and only missing a piece or two not 5 pieces

Edmonton says absolutely not. We can’t afford Kessel.

The first deal could potentially work if Kessel was traded to Canes as an intermediary before being moved to Edmonton with retention. However, if that were to occur, we'd want more than two late firsts if we retain. Something like...

To Canes: Kessel, 2019 1st
To Pens: Skinner (50%) retained,

....then after that...

To Canes: JP, 2019 1st
To Oilers: Kessel (50% retained)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Canes add Faulk to the trade and get back two terrible Cap dumps? What a deal. Are you sure Pittsburgh doesn't have some trash they want to offload themselves? Why only think of the oilers here?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean they want to compete for the next decade. I’d rather miss the playoffs next year and make it for the next 10, than make it for the next 5 and stop there.

Point being, I don’t think Kessel is the answer
I mean, Phil's coming off his best season so far. No sign he's going to to drop off a cliff in a few years.

But by all means, let the Oilers keep trying what they are trying. I love the meltdowns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad