Confirmed with Link: BLOCKBUSTER: Phaneuf to Ottawa in 9 Player Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Or you know a losing streak from another team like the Bruins last year. 28 games and 4 points back isn't a lot really, I mean a team could go on a massive losing skid or the Sens could string like 5 wins together.

The rest of the conference is garbage. Any of the teams ahead of us could lose ALOT of game

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It makes me sad that some people are so bitter and miserable that they can't even try to enjoy us finally getting a top-3/4 D for a relatively good price.

Cheer up you frikkin' downers. :P

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You guys are forgetting that Borowiecki can play the right side

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Borowiecki

That's the defense I'm expecting to see next season.

I am not very confident Boro should play RD unless it is an emergency.

The thing is Phaneuf can play RD. Signed for 5 years. In time he might be a RD here if we need it. Boro should not be the RD. Better at LD.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yes too much.

My offer for drouin right now is wiercioch puempel plus another d prospect not named chabot
Or.
Another forward prospect not name anything lightning fans would want.

It's my fantasy. I'll low ball.

I normally think low ball rarely works... But Murray is like.... Greening and Cowen for Phaneuf..... And that worked. So who the heck knows!!!!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I normally think low ball rarely works... But Murray is like.... Greening and Cowen for Phaneuf..... And that worked. So who the heck knows!!!!

You seem to have forgotten Michalek and Lindberg, plus that 2nd rounder in 2017....

Not that he didn't make a great trade, but it doesn't feel like he low-balled TO.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The rest of the conference is garbage. Any of the teams ahead of us could lose ALOT of game

The issue is leapfrogging 4 teams. Not the 4/5 points to make up.

I hope we can go on a winning streak sooner then later and close the gap. Be ninth.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It makes me sad that some people are so bitter and miserable that they can't even try to enjoy us finally getting a top-3/4 D for a relatively good price.

Cheer up you frikkin' downers. :P

Do you not see how ****ing weird it is? The Leafs traded us their ****ing captain!

They traded us their ****ing CAPTAIN. Mats Sundin, Dave Keon, Daryl Sittler, etc etc.

US. The Ottawa Senators. Their hated rival.

For what is basically mostly garbage.

I mean, damn, man. It's weird. Like, reallllllly weird.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Do you not see how ****ing weird it is? The Leafs traded us their ****ing captain!

They traded us their ****ing CAPTAIN. Mats Sundin, Dave Keon, Daryl Sittler, etc etc.

It IS weird, man.

But RKL just said it: This is GOOD weird.

Try to enjoy it, bud!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I officially approve and endorse these font sizes and italics.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Maybe Phaneuf doesn't like being called a #3 D when he could be on EK's left point.

Well, definitely on the powerplay that could be the case, he doesn"t need to be playing all his minutes with EK to play with EK.

Another thing I like about this deal is it's extra motivation for MacArthur to get back on the ice (not to rush, but to be positively motivated in a situation where he might've been prone to negative thinking due to the uncertainty and depressiveness of it all)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hey Mods, could you guys plz add a poll asking Sens fans how they feel about this deal? I'm curious.

Sounds like you guy got rid of a ton of garbage and Dion can be a solid top 4 guy if he's not expected to carry the whole team on his own.

Looking forward to seeing you guys play the Leafs next time. :)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Thing i like most about this trade is timing. Sens have lotts of time to fight for PO spot.

Exactly.

Even Ray Ferraro said for the Sens to make a serious push for playoffs they essentially have to add another body to help.

We did that. And it's a pretty big piece.

We have been coveting a number 3 defender for some time now and with Methot healthy and Ceci playing some of the best hockey he's played in his career, it couldn't come at a more perfect timing.

Apparently the deal was supposed to go down Monday but imo it's better it went down yesterday since we got to beat an elite team convincingly now we gonna add a great addition against another team we gotta beat to stay in playoff hunt.

I'm loving it. If we reallllllllly show signs of huge improvement from now till deadline day then Murray has time to make yet another trade during deadline.

Remember when he got Cullen then we started playing really well then he went out and got Sutton too? Kind of similar idea.

Othello*

Ah two seconds for Cullen & Sutton. Those two seconds where one pick away from Zucker and Toffoli..

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
We needed a Top 4 D and Murray got one.

We needed to get out from under the contracts of Cowen, Greening.

We needed to get away from the often injured Michalek for contract and inconsistency (not his fault when injured).

The fact Murray could accomplish both, clearing three roster spots for one return is excellent. The dollars basically stay the same, short term.

Cost us Lindberg and a 2nd - but allows two more players to be developed and a chance to play.

Good trade.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It really is a brilliant deal given this clubs situation and gets the club away from past mistakes.

I only wish BM could have been honest with himself sooner about these mistakes and been pro active in fixing it.

Now go get one more stabilizing vet for Wiercioch + and lets go make the playoffs

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I love that the pic of Dion meeting the coaches appears to be coming from someone hidden in a plant.

itsatwoliner

Feb 17, 2014
Leafs fan here. Phaneuf was the captain of the hardest market to play in, in the NHL. He handled it with boatloads of class. He has his faults, but the guys a gem. I'll miss him in a leafs jersey.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is still just super ****ing weird to me.

This. So much this.

I absolutely hate the concept of trading with either Montreal or Toronto. It's just a vile thought.

But...I am warming up to this trade...a little bit. Have Phaneuf pair with Ceci for the next 3 seasons. Hopefully by then, Chabot should be on track to grab that 2nd pairing spot, and Ceci will be the grizzled vet. Then we can hopefully either slide Phaneuf down to 3rd pairing or move what's left of his contract.

But man...I'm still very wary of the lack of speed and mobility on the blueline.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
This. So much this.

I absolutely hate the concept of trading with either Montreal or Toronto. It's just a vile thought.

But...I am warming up to this trade...a little bit. Have Phaneuf pair with Ceci for the next 3 seasons. Hopefully by then, Chabot should be on track to grab that 2nd pairing spot, and Ceci will be the grizzled vet. Then we can hopefully either slide Phaneuf down to 3rd pairing or move what's left of his contract.

But man...I'm still very wary of the lack of speed and mobility on the blueline.

This is a solid point in that, if for some reason the Sens do need to move on, Phaneuf will bring at least the 2nd back, probably more. The contract diminishes over the next years and the CAP will continue to rise I think.

Just getting away from Greening and Cowen contracts and even Michalek's (rich for what he contributed) is amazing in one transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad