Confirmed with Link: BLOCKBUSTER: Phaneuf to Ottawa in 9 Player Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Wayne Scanlan ‏@HockeyScanner 2h2 hours ago
Phaneuf thanked Bryan Murray three times for trading for him. Murray, Pierre Dorion and Dave Cameron met Phaneuf in hotel lobby.

Sounds like Phaneuf really wanted to get out of Toronto. :laugh:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
it scares me that Cowen could turn it around in Toronto.

Relax

Even if he becomes better with twice his production here its 8 points:laugh::laugh:

Triple his prod equals 12 points:laugh::laugh::laugh:

quadruple would be 0 goals and 16 assists:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its NOTHING LOL

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I hope Dion plays well in Ottawa. He got a bad rap in Toronto for no reason.

He's not a number 1 D-man obviously but you guys don't need him to be. He's overpaid for what he does but he is a perfect #3. Heck, if the Leafs could have ever brought in a real #1 D to play with him, he would have made a good #2.

He has really worked on getting his shot through to the net this year from the point. In years past it was always over the net and off the glass but this year he appears to have taken a bit off the shot and is hitting the net consistently.

He's a little awkward in his skating style and he falls a lot but if he can keep it simple, you guys will be pleased.

Best of luck Dion.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I hope Dion plays well in Ottawa. He got a bad rap in Toronto for no reason.

He's not a number 1 D-man obviously but you guys don't need him to be. He's overpaid for what he does but he is a perfect #3. Heck, if the Leafs could have ever brought in a real #1 D to play with him, he would have made a good #2.

He has really worked on getting his shot through to the net this year from the point. In years past it was always over the net and off the glass but this year he appears to have taken a bit off the shot and is hitting the net consistently.

He's a little awkward in his skating style and he falls a lot but if he can keep it simple, you guys will be pleased.

Best of luck Dion.

It's okay, we're used to it at this point with Ryan leading the way.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You guys are forgetting that Borowiecki can play the right side

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Borowiecki

That's the defense I'm expecting to see next season.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I think he'll be really good for you guys... at least for another 2 years. Then you can enjoy his contract :)

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
You guys are forgetting that Borowiecki can play the right side

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Borowiecki

That's the defense I'm expecting to see next season.

not ideal but i can live with it

this was my greatest fear

this would of been game 41 mark next year
Methot - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Whocares - Whocares

if Chabot makes it to play 3rd pair it is not the end of the world. we would still be rushing a bit but not to much. my worry was him getting thrown into the top 4 with Ceci as his"mentor"

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
How about 2016 1st, Lazar, D prospect not named "Chabot"? Too much?

I wouldn't do 1st and prospect for Drouin, let alone adding Lazar.

Wicked deal

- Dumped a bunch of dead cap
- Acquired a 2/3D

EK setting up Phaneuefs big point shot... Sick

BM did well today... Might be the best trade he's made as GM here

I would say trading up to get Karlsson in '08 trumps everything. Trading 15th OA for Rundblad and subsequently for Turris over Phaneuf.

Last edited:

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I would say trading up to get Karlsson in '08 trumps everything. Trading 15th OA for Rundblad and subsequently for Turris over Phaneuf.

we had a poll a while back for murrays bets trade. Karlsson did not win (as many including myself feel trading for a pick is not trading for the fully developed player)

i want to say the Turris trade won the poll but there was 1-2 other ahead of Karlsson IIRC

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Wow I usually try to read the entire thread before I post, but I gave up after the first 20 or so pages, lol.

As pretty much everybody has said already, it's a great trade for us. We tend to acquire our talent via trade (big FAs don't tend to end up here), and it is nice to hear that Phaneuf had us on the good list.

I'll miss Michalek, but then again he was missed by being injured all the time anyway. Cowen might still turn into a mini-Phaneuf himself, health permitting, but it seems unlikely. As for Greening, well... I wish him a PhD.

The question now is who loses his spot on defense? I wouldn't be surprised if Wideman is the odd man out for now:

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Wiercioch - BoroCop

Turris and Methot back and healthy, Phaneuf on board to solidify our top 4, we're ready for another late mad dash! :yo:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Wayne Scanlan ‏@HockeyScanner 2h2 hours ago
Phaneuf thanked Bryan Murray three times for trading for him. Murray, Pierre Dorion and Dave Cameron met Phaneuf in hotel lobby.

Sounds like Phaneuf really wanted to get out of Toronto. :laugh:

If that's true - it's likely we could get Phaneuf to improve a little (not a lot) with us. He may be a professional and he obviously worked hard but if he really disliked the pressure and attention of Toronto - his play would have suffered regardless of how much he tried to not let it get to him.

Still - it feels weird that the guy we laughed at (when he had mishaps), the guy we were probably a little biased against when talking about him is now suddenly on our team.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If that's true - it's likely we could get Phaneuf to improve a little (not a lot) with us. He may be a professional and he obviously worked hard but if he really disliked the pressure and attention of Toronto - his play would have suffered regardless of how much he tried to not let it get to him.

Still - it feels weird that the guy we laughed at (when he had mishaps), the guy we were probably a little biased against when talking about him is now suddenly on our team.

I mean we all laughed at Phaneuf but then again we all laugh at Subban. Truth is we still rather have some other player then them on the ice

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How about 2016 1st, Lazar, D prospect not named "Chabot"? Too much?

Yes too much.

My offer for drouin right now is wiercioch puempel plus another d prospect not named chabot
Or.
Another forward prospect not name anything lightning fans would want.

It's my fantasy. I'll low ball.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The more and more I read about this and think it over, the more I like the move.

Its not to say that I think we fleeced Toronto or anything because we didn't, but this works out so well for both teams.

I think many people will be surprised at how big of a difference he'll make here in that #3 role and for how long he'll hold it down. I don't think 2 or 3 years from now he'll be so bad we regret this. The Financials work really well and the fact that he has a reputation for being a gym rat now that he didn't have in his early days (when he was more known for being the Piano Man) is big.

Let us also take a minute to appreciate the scouting staff once again. Without the ability to draft prospects like Lindberg with late picks, this doesn't get done. I have high expectations for him in the future. Leafs definitely got a good prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad