Blinkage, Linkage & Stinkage (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillyPalmer

Apr 9, 2012
Antarctica
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the owner doing to ensure there won't be another lockout in 7 years? Getting 7% more in revenue and slightly more revenue sharing seems like a band-aid.

I remember reading a stat that said the players would have to take below 40 for some teams to even make a profit.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So taking signing bonuses to avoid having to pay your fair share of escrow (and thus making the rest of the players in the league pay your share for you) is somehow ethical?

Players paying players. Can't have that! :sarcasm:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, not only did the players know this was going to happen, their agents definitely knew. All these players cashed in on bonuses.
The money train just has to be slowed down a little. Sorry guys, thats how it's gotta be.

Also with the linkage and the cap. Fehr would be dumb to think the owners would budge on that. The league wiped out a whole year to get it. No way Fehr wins that battle.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
So what does the PA do now? They can't have their full salary argument anymore. They can't get 1.8 billion anymore. They might not get more than a billion this season. And 30% of their players are free agents next season. What will they do next?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So what does the PA do now? They can't have their full salary argument anymore. They can't get 1.8 billion anymore. They might not get more than a billion this season. And 30% of their players are free agents next season. What will they do next?

Good question. I certainly hope they aren't waiting for the NHL to make the next move like they have been all along but they probably are.

Again this comes down to who blinks first.
Theres factions in each camp that will lead to that "B'linkage". It's just when does that happen.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Good question. I certainly hope they aren't waiting for the NHL to make the next move like they have been all along but they probably are.

Again this comes down to who blinks first.
Theres factions in each camp that will lead to that "B'linkage". It's just when does that happen.

the scary part is that owners/NHL prepared to wipe out a season to get their 50/50 on their terms'

players prepared to stand their ground...

my question if no one blinks between now and next year...what happens to the next year

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
the scary part is that owners/NHL prepared to wipe out a season to get their 50/50 on their terms'

my question if no one blinks between now and next year...what happens to the next year

The players will blink in a big way is what happens.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Pretty safe to say the players come crawling back. They may even push Fehr out of the way at that point (doubtful but it may happen).

I think it's a little different though cuz the cap and linkage are huge deals that are already cemented. The difference in money between the 2 sides isn't and should'nt be a huge hurdle to get over even though both sides are making this a huge hurdle right now.

I'm still optimistic there will be a Stanley Cup winner in 2013.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Pretty safe to say the players come crawling back. They may even push Fehr out of the way at that point (doubtful but it may happen).

I think it's a little different though cuz the cap and linkage are huge deals that are already cemented. The difference in money between the 2 sides isn't and should'nt be a huge hurdle to get over even though both sides are making this a huge hurdle right now.

If total linkage was cemented the deal would have been signed already.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Lovely - Just what we need.

There must be an abandoned hospital somewhere we can gather the players into. We could store them there until this is over and then we could let them out to play.

Just make sure there is plenty of port and loud black ferraris

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I read an article today where Vernon Fiddler, who was/is injured and still recieving checks from the Stars gave one full one to charity.

While this is a nice gesture, i wouldn't call it a smart one givin' the circumstances.

Last edited:

AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Speculation (that everyone knows is probably true) The NHLPA is telling Players what to say in their interviews as part of a PR campaign.

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie

The only way a deal get's done at this point is if the players push Fehr out of the way....the question is how long do they want to continue this frivilus battle.

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Finally someone in the media comments on the PA's stance of getting contracts honored:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...hl-hangs-on-a-phantom-issue-peter-adler-says/

What seems to be the main stumbling block? Why, the idea that the owners have to honour player contracts signed under the rule of the previous collective bargaining agreement.

The strangest thing is the league doesn’t really even have to entertain this idea, never mind make any offers to make players “whole,†as the legalistic description has it.

As mentioned in an earlier column regarding the Russian players’ empty threats, their contracts were all written, agreed to and signed under the previous collective bargaining agreement, the one that expired Sept. 15.

Why are their threats of not coming back if they were to lose a single kopeck (or cent, your pick) empty? Simply because the CBA that their own union, the NHLPA, had agreed to, says so.

It says so in Paragraph 18 thus:

“18. The Club and the Player severally and mutually promise and agree to be legally bound by the League Rules and by any Collective Bargaining Agreement that has been or may be entered into between the member clubs of the League and the NHLPA, and by all of the terms and provisions thereof, copies of which shall be open and available for inspection by the Club, its directors and officers, and the Player, at the main office of the League, the main office of the Club, and the main office of the NHLPA. This SPC is entered into subject to the CBA between the NHL and the NHLPA and any provisions of this SPC inconsistent with such CBA are superseded by the provisions of the CBA.â€

And, of course, come to think of it, this particular paragraph not only makes the Russian players’ threats empty, it makes the entire brouhaha about honouring contracts perfectly moot. Not even worthy of academic debate.
Unfair? Why? Can’t the players read what’s written in their contracts, except for the figures signifying their salaries and bonuses? Has anyone been forcing them to play in the NHL or else?

And that the previous CBA was rammed down their throats following a season-killing lockout? Says who? Anybody put guns to their heads to force them to sign on the dotted line?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The PA is a total joke. Fehr has these guys so tightly wound around his finger you can almost taste it. He's been feeding their numbskull heads with all this rhetoric about honoring past contracts, yadda yadda, when they have absolutely nothing to stand on. Sad.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Speculation (that everyone knows is probably true) The NHLPA is telling Players what to say in their interviews as part of a PR campaign.

Judging by some of the stuff I've heard and read the PA has really bad PR and media coaches. If it is true then who are the poor sods minding Barch and Toews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad